It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police academy class slogan: Cause PTSD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Police academy class slogan: Cause PTSD

news.yahoo.com

Each class at the Idaho Police Officer Standards and Training Academy is allowed to choose a slogan that is printed on its graduation programs, and the class of 43 graduates came up with "Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I can not even comprehend the mentality that would allow this type of obvious aggression towards society. What ever happened to "To Protect and Serve."

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The “Protect and Serve” policy in most departments exited about the same time that the “Military Preference” hiring requirements entered. Now to be on the “hire list” you have to have college, military experience, and academy training to be accepted by most departments. Unfortunately, those who have a military background have an entirely different ideal as to the way that law enforcement is supposed to work as they are trained to operate in enemy territory.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Sounds to me like a group of people having a joke, no matter how out-of-taste it may be. I don't see any need to jump on the bashing band-wagon just yet. Free speech is still a Right, right?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I am a retired Officer, and I can tell you right now that an attitude like this is a cancer that will only grow until someone gets killed or a massive lawsuit. A Police Department is NOT a gang with guns! An Officer needs to be above and better than an attitude such as the one listed above. They are Civil Professionals.... not Cowboys.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I know as a military MP, the common mindset was that civilians were looked down on, like you would look down on the crowd if you were backstage VIP. Constant jokes about "civs" being expendable, pawns, weak, etc.

This is not just some strange mindset that came from nowhere. It is setup and promoted by military training. You are taught to feel superior and look down on anyone without a gun, or without a rank as high as yours.

I wish this was just emotional speculation - but it's not. In fact, being in the military is what woke me up and got me into CTs in the first place.

The more and more we integrate the military with law enforcement, the more and more things like this will happen, but it won't be restricted to offensive t-shirt slogans unfortunately.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Some joke, ha ha. Let's tell some racist jokes while we are at it, they are funny too, right? Well, to SOME mindless freaks it is. This is sickening, and to assume it is harmless is stupid.

This is the sign of the times: Cop's are being taught to torture with Tazers, beat people for no reason, cause pain and suffering, forget using their brains and hands and using excess force, and this proves that they are being taught to RNJOY and JOKE about causing serious injuries!! How twisted and sick can a society get?

These PIG scum that thinks this is Ok or funny should be given a healthy dose of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder so THEY can scream at night and sweat and cry..ever seen a veteran who suffers from PTSD's? It is NOT a pretty sight, a life ruined by shock and trauma. Cop's do NOT consider us as deserving human rights, and our suffering is a big joke, right? It is about time to form battle lines and start dishing out to the pig's what they are dishing to us: That is the ONLY way to curb this type of horrible sick garbage.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Wow.... I guess your post would be the other end of the stick.

I believe the majority of Officers are highly trained professionals who devote their careers to public service. They are PEACE Officers. The most important asset they have should be their brain, which they use to diffuse any given situation. One of the major rules for dealing with any situation is "The minimum amount of force necessary to compel compliance of the situation."

One bad Officer can make an entire Department look like a bunch of clowns. That is why Supervisors and Training Officers need to do their jobs so that the "loose cannons" are weeded out or placed into remedial training regarding the "rights" of those that they serve... American Citizens.

That said, Officers are only human. They make mistakes, they have emotions, they are not drones. To judge an entire profession by a few bad apples makes no sense.

What upset me the most about this news story is that it came from a Training Academy. The Academy is where the highest ideals and morals concerning Law Enforcement should be taught and expected from the students. Regardless of who thought up the motto, someone higher up should have realized that it was wrong, and corrected it.

Sometimes I take exception with the antics of my former profession, but all in all, Officers are in a thankless profession, trying to do the impossible, and witnessing the worst of society day in and out. The suicide and divorce rate for Officers is one of the highest there is. The vast majority deserve our respect and support for a job well done.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

I had to go to the article to see what it ment:

go out and cause" post-traumatic stress disorder.

I am both saddened and sickened.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I can not believe that the state academy allowed them to print this. It is clear that all they are concerned with is causing mental stress and anguish instead of upholding the law.

This is a poor showing for the Idaho Police academy, and very poor judgement in allowing them to use this slogan.

Even if most people would agree with it, they would never have allowed them to use something like "Let's go shoot all the child abusers on site to save the taxpayers money."

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
By the look of the training facilities in Meridian, ID, the Academy appears to be a state-of-the-art facility. I would have loved to have attended a place like this if I was young.

I bet they are just sick about all the negative publicity they are getting about this screw-up.

This FOX News article states...

He said the embarrassment might be softened by Nampa Deputy Police Chief Leroy Forsman's speech to graduates on the importance of community involvement and of treating people with dignity and respect.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

As sad as this may seem, this article does not surprise me.

I don't blame the police officers for their childish behavior.

We, as civilians, have given the armed forces and security forces at home too much leeway and too little accountability.

A soldier in a foreign country can act with impunity. The problems arise when that soldier comes home and decides he wants to work in the civilian police force.

That mindset never leaves. As a previous poster had stated, some take the power to their head the instant any is given to them.

I was in ROTC for a few years before leaving it. However during my tenure I did not notice anything inherently wrong with my fellow ROTCers, nor with the Sergeant's who ran the recruiting office.

It seems that it is always the bunch of bad apples that ruins it for the rest of the pack.

Let's hope this does not snowball into a police (and/or military) vs civilian showdown. I don't think the average citizen has enough firepower to stop that kind of onslaught

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

We, as civilians, have given the armed forces and security forces at home too much leeway and too little accountability.

I agree 100% biggie... Our government and society is what we make it.

Thank you for your post... plus a star ;o)

---------------------------
Fixed quote

[edit on 27/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
Wow.... I guess your post would be the other end of the stick.

I believe the majority of Officers are highly trained professionals who devote their careers to public service. "The minimum amount of force necessary to compel compliance of the situation."

One bad Officer can make an entire Department look like a bunch of clowns.

That said, Officers are only human. They make mistakes, they have emotions, they are not drones. To judge an entire profession by a few bad apples makes no sense.

Sometimes I take exception with the antics of my former profession, but all in all, Officers are in a thankless profession, trying to do the impossible, and witnessing the worst of society day in and out. The suicide and divorce rate for Officers is one of the highest there is. The vast majority deserve our respect and support for a job well done.

First, the majority, the vast majority of cop's WILL lie under oath and they WILL falsely arrest. There is no argument about that. Even a well known cop, Norm Stamper, the former Chief of the Seattle Police, is on record sayiong that " 99% of all street cop's perjure themselves on the stand to make a case stick, mostly in drug cases". 99%. That gives a citizen a warm and fuzzy feeling of safety, now doesn't it? the MAJORITY of cop's have and will abuse suspects, use excess force, and will cover up the actions of fellow officers. They WILL break the law to ' make things even' as they are alwsys whining about being ' handcuffed ' by those horrible old laws that protect us, and the legislators that we vote to represent us..boo hoo.

If the job is too much for them and they are unsuited to it, as evidenced by the ' high diveroce and suicide rate ' among them, then perhaps they should never have been hired in the first place. If police dept's were more selective about who they hire and the psychological reasons they are wanting to be cop's, we would see less abuse. Cop's are not supposed to be ' human ' on the job if it means losing their tempers, reacting emotionally or showing any other unprofessional responses. Would you tolerate a SURGEON using his job stress as an excuse for acting unprofessionally? Of course not. So why are cop's allowed to call themselves ' professionals ' while still being able to act out their feelings and frustrations on US?

We expect far too little from cop's , and we are paying the price for it, by the record numbers of abuse cases and the continued climb in the number of deaths by Tazer and other means. And if you get " Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ' from the illegal actions of the cops, then we are supposed to laugh it off!! It's real funny, isn't it? Filthy scum cop's that abuse the system and the people should not get any sympathy from anyone. All they deserve is a prison cell and a long sentence so they can ponder the errors of their ways. Too much power and authority given to a weak and emotional mind and we get the results seen every year: Abuse, death, injuries and more are the price we pay for placing cop's on a pedastel instead on placing a strong leash around their necks and yanking hard every time they step out of line.

We deserve better for our dollars than what we are getting, thats for sure. Cop's are NOT trying to do the impossible; if they see their jobs as impossible no wonder they abandon all the rules and go hog wild: The job is a job and if they did not get all emotionally involved and acted professionally they would not act as badly as they do. Maybe the ones committing suicide are doing so out of a GUILTY CONSCIENCE, and not because of all the meanies out there not showing them enough ' appreciation '. If THAT is the reaon they are there, no wonder so may are screwed up. Some ' profession '..

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What worries me isn't that this is the class slogan... but rather that the graduating class chose this and those that did were not filtered out long before graduation. Shouldn't this mind set be filtered out by psychological exams? What I see here isn't so much aggression as it is immaturity.

Taking a tip from a thread I saw here a while back, I keep a video camera in my car at all times. I do it for many reasons, but on the primary reasons is for encounters with police.

They have their tape to back them up(that's been known to disappear), so I will
have mine to back me up.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Who would want to be an alumni of that school and have to face a tough lawyer trying to prove innocence (even years later) in police brutality case.

That's just not too smart.

As far as getting what we pay for, I have to take the cops' side here - they don't pay enough to really attract, say, the kind of recruit who might go to law school. So we get that 'untrained' and subsequently 'undesirable' element creeping in.

I thought one poster said a mouthful in that the criminal element in the police force is quite a bit more frightening than a regular bad guy - for one thing you can't fight back. (of course it's getting harder and harder to fight back even with the criminals).

To the poster above - yeah makes sense to have a camera in your car, but if you think about it, how likely is it to get stopped in a single drivers' lifetime. I've been driving for several decades and only have been stopped twice (and both of those were in the last 10 years). I've started carrying a cam with me, too (one of those cheap CVS hand-helds).

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose

I can not even comprehend the mentality that would allow this type of obvious aggression towards society. What ever happened to "To Protect and Serve."

LOL, judging by the comments from several law enforcement types on ATS and comments heard in my community, it is being replaced by something along the lines of "Get Home Safely", to the detriment of those who they should be protecting and serving, who are also those who Pay Their Salaries.

I don't know when you retired, but too many IRL cops I see either seem to be too slight to adequately control many situations or on steriods.
(And, BTW, do cops have to submit to random screening for steriods---they should)

This slogan puts the icing on the cake for me, and bodes badly for the future of the Citizens and the Consititution.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hmmmm. The class president was ex-military. Does this surprise anyone? Not me. I've been saying all along that the militarization of the police was a very bad thing.

When you adopt a military uniform, get sent to military facilities to train, use military tactics, and seek out ex-military as prefered recruits, is it any wonder at all that a military mindset quickly takes hold of the entire law enforcement apparatus?

Don't get me wrong. I have the upmost respect for those who have trained to fight and risk their lives for our country. However, the purpose of the military is to kill enemies and destroy things. The training they receive is geared toward that. Why would anyone think that applying the results of that training (death and destruction) to a friendly civilian population could ever be a good thing?

Like I said in another thread, I am far more afraid of my own government and the police than I am of any terrorist or domestic criminal. Since the years of Ronald Reagan and the begining of the "War on Drugs", I have watched this country slide farther and farther toward a police state, and I only see this process speeding up. This post and others like it are appearing with much more frequency and the incedents described are getting move blatant and severe.

Anytime the government declares a war (or several) on its own people, then miltarizes the police to fight it, things are going wrong. The default police mode of interaction with the public in this century seems to be that everyone is guilty until they prove themselves innocent. The police no longer are looking for respect from the public, but looking to instill fear, as the story would seem to indicate pretty well. I believe it will only get worse.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Let's hope this does not snowball into a police (and/or military) vs civilian showdown. I don't think the average citizen has enough firepower to stop that kind of onslaught

Uh, except that the average citizen outnumbers the law enforcers 1000 to one. That's what the 2nd amendment is all about. Let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that.

There’s no question that the state of local police, right behind the federal and state police, has been in a long devolution from peace officers to law enforcement. Peace officers were simply there to maintain the public peace, and didn’t bother people unless they were harming someone else. Often, their duties involved helping those in need, such as stranded motorists, or getting someone who had celebrated a bit too much home. Law enforcement are in the business of making you do whatever the gov tells you, and collecting revenue for their employers. It’s to be expected that former military would be employed, as they’ve already been through the brainwashing of boot camp, and are much more easily controlled, and desensitized to inflicting harm on innocents. This change is all about the move from freedom to a police state controlled tyranny, and it should be plain for all to see.

I personally have had police perjure themselves in court against me 4 times, and am harassed by them on an almost daily basis. I have to wonder how many ‘good cops’ are left, as I have no doubt that those who don’t go along with the law breaking are harassed and perhaps even ‘suicided’ if they have seen too much. One thing I feel certain of, it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
To be, or not to be (above) the law.....

Well this just lit my fire!
I would certainly hope that someone higher up in the chain of command would be overseeing the submissions on this sort of thing, but then again that would be giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Wishful thinking for humanity sakes maybe...

LOL, judging by the comments from several law enforcement types on ATS and comments heard in my community, it is being replaced by something along the lines of "Get Home Safely", to the detriment of those who they should be protecting and serving, who are also those who Pay Their Salaries.

Being a native Idahoan, this really comes as no real surprise to me, and some country folk around 'ere have a saying that goes something like this: "Don't mess around with the Boise P.D. or you may wind up gettin' shot."
Nothing like living in the wild.. wild west though, and here are some examples of the good.... the bad and when it all turns ugly.

The Good:
here

The Bad:
here
and here

The Ugly:
or maybe this
and this

Collectively we ask:
Where is the supervision?

remaining in tune,
The Telemetry