It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion and the common man....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I've noticed a bit of abortion chatter lately on here or...

I've noticed it now because of the unique position that I've been put in. Recently, I have found out that my fiance is pregnant. I had my hopes up for being a daddy, but there is no way we can possibly keep it. So we have come to the solution to have an abortion. Our situation is simple...we are completely #ing broke. (Well, aside from the money to have the operation.) We are in both still in school. (College) Neither of us are qualified enough to have a decent paying job. Hell, I'm still a year and a half away from co-oping. Our families are poor. And the thought of giving away a baby to adoption is just not even an option in this debate. Our situation is pretty bleak. There is no amount of extra work that would help us out. There is no way that we could support a baby. Not emoitionally or monetarily.

I just want to know how everybody in this community feels about it. Furthermore, no amount of debate will change or choice on this matter. We are having an abortion no matter what. (Unless you pay for everything until we are established and out of school...I don't think there is enough rich people here to pull that one off.) Anywho, watch out for fallacies...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think it should be up to the parents to make that decision. However, I feel that should I be unfortunate enough to be in that situation, the ultimate end may be a little more difficult to reach. It would not be as simple as saying, "Well, it is up to you.".

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think if the pregnant person in question is a minor, the parents have the right to know.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
We are both adults...

TheThinker, it took us a while to come to that decision. There was a whole lot thought and tears and sacrifices to come to this decision. It wasn't as simple as,

Her: "Baby, I'm pregnant."

Me: "Let's have an abortion."

Her: "Ok."

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Why isn't adoption an option for you?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sorry OxMan, I didnt read the first post thoroughly.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I belive that abortion is murder and I strongly oppose it. I can see why you are doing it, your both broke and in college. But instaed of getting rid of it why can't your girlfriend give birth, give it up for adoption instead of killing it?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
IF i were president......

abortion:

leave it

PRO CHOICE....

but pro choice to an extent.
I would allow it up to a certain point......no late term stuff or partial birth.

I would also outlaw the sale of baby body parts that seems to be happening alot these days.

thats my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
How hard is it for someone to let go of their child the first day of school knowing that they will see them eight hours later? Multiply that feeling by one billion for the people who hold their new born infant and then letting it go to someone you barely know...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I agree, did you know that you can even find people to pay for medical expenses and then adopt the baby.

You have to option for an open adoption, which means that you will have a part in the life of the child (i.e. not closed or secret).

You have a wide range of options and can set your terms. You also have a huge amount of people to select from.

Please please please do not do this. I will help you find somebody. Help pay for medical expenses. I know people willing to give money. I can find it. I don't care, just please do not get an abortion.

By the way, where do you live? (not specifically, just statewise)

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Don't screw unless you are prepared for the possible outcome. (No pun intended)

Use a contraceptive. Really. They are those latex things you put on your unit when you don't want a baby. There are other things that are available as well. Pills, creams, etc. I just think you are taking the easy way out. Let's face it, NO ONE is really prepared for a baby in their life, financially or emotionally. I don't care who you are. It's a major change in both parents lives. It should be hard and difficult and strain an already strained budget. That's my 2 cents. Feel free to flame all you want. I'm not against abortion as a medical neccessity or in cases of rape, but when you say you just don't feel like dealing with the responsibility...that just pisses me off.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What would you do if you didn't have the right to an abortion?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It's not my body so it is not my decision to make.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Dark, although I agree with you to a point, busting someones balls is not the way to get them to change their minds.

Like I said, if need be, I can get the money. I hope some others on this board will help if need be.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Probably the most Catholic oriented state in the republic. The only state with parishes...Louisiana.

Dark: We did, we used the pill and the foam (VCF). Also, it's not a matter of not WANTING to deal with the responsiblity. It's a matter of not BEING ABLE TO DEAL with the responsibility. And yes there are people who are prepared for the financial and emotional part of it. I'm willing to bet that most people who get pregnant during wedlock or at least affianced can are prepared for it.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Venus: I don't know what I would do, except for cry. (More so than what I have) This was by far the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. It was extremely tough, not just for the question of what if, but becuase of the people I love and interact with. They all hate it with a passion. Most of my family will probably disown, but for the sake of the potential child and us this is the best.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
being without any experience in the matter i feel it to be arrogant of me to coment your choise.

all I can say is that i admire you and your girlfriend for being strong enough to make that decision.
i dont know if I would have the strength...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Please please please do not do this. I will help you find somebody. Help pay for medical expenses. I know people willing to give money. I can find it. I don't care, just please do not get an abortion.

Looks like our debate may be sooner then later KJ...

Here's the deal........
You may be able to find money to pay for this child. You may be able to find someone to raise it. But you will NEVER EVER know what this young woman is going to go through whether she keeps it or not. Some may call abortion murder and play as if that is heartless but I don't think there is anything more heartless than a mother who is capable of caring a child for 9 months and then handing her baby away because she isn't able to raise it. To me that is the ultimate irresponsibility. Sorry if that hits to close to home for you KJ but we all have to live with our own demons.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If you had medical paid for, would you give it up for adoption if you had total control over who gets him?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I doubt it. It's extremely hard to let go. And what if she doesn't want to let go...will we be sued? There is more to this than just "We can pay for this and let you choose who it goes to." It's an emotional thing to let go of your hard work and your emotional bond and my fiance knows that she could not do it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join