It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting smoking wasn't that bad!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I quit smoking about a week ago. It wasn't planned. I had a pack on me and I remember smoking the last one and saying to myself 'I don't think I want to smoke anymore'. I have been smoking for 6+ years, and I have had no withdrawal and hardly any urges to have one.

I'm beginning to think its possible that companies who make profit selling nicotine patches, pills, gum etc want you to think that it is the hardest thing in the world. Now that its already instilled into your head that quitting is going to be the hardest thing you have ever done, you automatically make it much harder on yourself.

Quitting is the easy part.. but stopping for good is probably going to be difficult. There is no drug or patch that is going to prevent me from having a cigarette a year from now when all my friends are having a smoke outside the bar!

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Wanting to quit is the only real thing that will ever work. One who doesnt want to quit, but is pressured into it, will likely fail 99% of the time. Addiction is strong and ONLY freewill is stronger. Congrats.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
good job hikix. i don't really buy into those patches and gum and whatever. i think its a bunch of bull really. if you want to quit you'll quit. it's that easy. i've seen people quit cold turkey, no problem, cause they wanted to.

i've seen people use the patches and chew the gum and continue to smoke. why? because they probably didn't necassarily want to quit. someone else probably wanted them to smoke.

anyways, congratulation hikix

if i ever decide to quit i know it will be 100% will power.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I only quit once before and that was just because i wanted to try it. I didn't really WANT to quit. Finally, I really just dont want to smoke anymore. Good luck to anyone giving quitting a chance, and I can assure you its 100% mental.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Congrats Hixix!

Just to let you know, if you need some more support, here is a good list of some of your fellow members that have also quit!

We are there to lend support if you need it, and best of luck to you!

Go Hixix!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Quitting after 6 years not that bad? Try it after 30 years and I promise your opinion will change. Congrats though. Wish I would have quit 6 years into the habit.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Congrats hikix!

Yeah I quit today, it's not too bad. I still feel myself reaching for that pack that isn't there anymore though lol. The toughest times will probobly be after meals, and when I'm having a few beers. I did order some more licorice chew sticks though. I used them last time I quit, and it really kept my hands busy. Smokers are usually used to holding something, and having those chew sticks can really help. And they are healthy for you, so thats always good.

I can honestly say though, ciggs were starting to disgust me every single time I smoked one. I really want to quit this time.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
reply to post by hikix

Congrats hikix!

The toughest times will probobly be after meals, and when I'm having a few beers. I did order some more licorice

Yeah i still havent smoked one, so i guess i officially quit. Its true though, after meals and after a few beers are the toughest times.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by koncept
reply to post by hikix

Wanting to quit is the only real thing that will ever work. One who doesnt want to quit, but is pressured into it, will likely fail 99% of the time. Addiction is strong and ONLY freewill is stronger. Congrats.

This is very true Koncept.
I've been ciggy free for 11 months now after smoking for 20 years:shk:.

Well done hikix and keep it up, it gets easier.

new topics

top topics

join