It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you give for Xmas thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Xmas is about giving. I tend to get annoyed when I think about the gift exchanges and how most people I know, for example, have most everything they would need anyway. Mary gives John a new music CD and John gives Mary about the same. The net result is most people could have bought what they wanted in the first place and avoided the hassle of figuring out what everyone wants when they don't have need in the first place.

In the future I will probably lean towards celebrating the holiday by making an effort towards avoiding the gift exchanges and helping out those who I know who truly need it.

With that, what things have you given this year to those who would not have received otherwise?

I bought my kids stuff, and exchanged the gifts, but for the most part they would have gotten that kind of stuff anyway.

The gift I felt that made the most difference was to the street guy named Juno. I've seen him around for years, but just got the chance to meet him before Thanksgiving.

He was a little down this Xmas, because most people have their own agendas. He called and asked if there was anything we could help him with and we obliged. To me, that was the best gift that I gave this holiday. It probably made the most difference to anyone I gave to this year.

So lets here it if you have stories. None are too small nor too great.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ben?

Sounds like you've been doing some soul-searching in the last while.

You found a soul that needed help. And helped him you did.

Besides any material stuffs,

I was 'THERE' for my family. Most important to me.

Even though I didn't have much monies, and gave what I could concerning Christmas gifts, I was there for those that needed me.

* My Mom has been dealing with my Father's Altzheimers - I helped the best way that I could.

* My Brother has been dealing with his own issues - I helped the best way that I could.

* My Husband has been out of work - Ditto.

"Charity begins at home."

Even at Christmas time, we share with each the 'best gifts', in the best ways that we can.

These gifts don't cost a cent.

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Ben this is a good thread idea! I gave my Dad a pocket knife, he collects them like mad, and he realy loved it. I gave my Mom some Nag Champa insence, she like those smelly types of things, she had one going with in ten minutes of opening her gift!

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I really only buy my kids the major gadgets and gizmos that they want for christmas and their birthday. I don't believe in just buying them major toys or video games and what not at any old time for no special reasons. This way, I feel they appreciate the things more and they learn that they are not going to get things for nothing whenever they want.

Anyways, on Christmas Eve we had my fiance's two best friends over. One of them has been told by his parents AND his supposed significant other that they don't want him around for the holidays. He is also poor as heck so we gave him a $100 gift card so that he could get his kids some stuff for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I bought both my son and daughter each their own CD player,so they don't borrow mine.
I also bought my oldest daughter her own hair dryer,and straightening iron, so you guessed it..she doesn't borrow mine.
Yep, Christmas was all about ME this year..

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Well, at least you don't have a hard time knowing what she wants! Just figure out what stuff of yours she is always using.

These are good people.

I was even thinking next year of volunteering time down at the food bank or where they serve dinners during the holidays. Sometimes your time helps those more than giving gifts.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

I was even thinking next year of volunteering time down at the food bank or where they serve dinners during the holidays. Sometimes your time helps those more than giving gifts.

Exactly!!

This year I gathered up all my moms friends that had given up driving and took them to the mall so they could shop in a Christmas atmosphere.
I hate malls during Christmas but the sacrifice was more than worth it to bring a little Xmas cheer into the lives of these old women. My little contribution to the group besides the ride was lunch and beers.

Then I spent a lot of time with my dear old mum that is beginning to suffer pretty severe dementia and senility.

I would much rather have been in Mexico on the beach, but this year it felt good to not be so self absorbed and participate with other people.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I always try to give something really personal to that person at Xmas,
I like to mix that with something modern,

Like my lil sis, I got her a Large make up set but I also gave her a princess Tiara with a 2 page poem I had wrote her about when she was a little girl and dreamed of being a princess, She could not read through the whole poem without Tears
Happy ones,

The idea was that dreams should not be forgotten, We have lost allot of loved ones and this year and we lost or beloved Uncle to Cancer just a few months ago, Xmas was hard due to that, So with that you lose that part of you that wants to Dream and Enjoy things,
my idea was to remind my sis what that was, and that within her there still is a little princess with big dreams

(Love you oni xx)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

OMG! Asala that brought tears to my eyes..

Oni you have the greatest sister...I'm sure you know that.
Wow Asala, just wow!

Edit cause I can't spell today...:shk:

[edit on 27-12-2007 by AccessDenied]

top topics

join