It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI's Biometric Snoop Grid 'Can follow you forever'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

FBI's Biometric Snoop Grid 'Can follow you forever'

www.truthnews.us

A newly announced FBI plan to catalog precise physical characteristics of individuals around the world — a vast $1 billion dollar project that makes the bureau’s fingerprint database look quaint by comparison — is raising eyebrows among critics who worry about how the data may be used.Taking advantage of the science of biometrics, which relies on precise body measurements unique to every human being, the FBI hopes to be able to identify criminal and terrorist suspects by face-shape, scars and even iris patterns.But the idea raises some red flags for CNN legal analyst Sonny Hostin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So now our FBI is going to spend a whopping ! billion dollars on a Biometric database recognition program. This brings out many concerns as this article states. How are they going to guarantee that our information is secure. I do not believe they will be able to guarantee us anything. I do not know about you, but I do not want my unique data being available to any Joe Hacker out there. It is bad enough that our account numbers, passwords, history, etc. are already easily accessible. Next thing you know, people will be using your biometric data to make another one of you!! Another thing that pisses me off is that they want to spend so much money on this. Is it that necessary that we will dedicate that amount of cash instead of using it for something we really need? I just don't like it, period. Check out the video at Truthnews courtesy of CNN and you decide what you think.

www.truthnews.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/25/2007 by palehorse23]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
What I want to know is how they intend to get our biometric data in the first place. Are they going to install cameras everywhere to measure people as they walk around public places? Maybe they'll make it mandatory to go see the Feds so they can scan you and put you into the system. This doesn't seem like a particularly good idea seeing as how they can't even keep the information they have now away from any competent hacker to say nothing of that fact that they frequently just lose it.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
George Orwell's prophetic fiction rears its ugly head. As I watch these things unfold it terrifies me far more than any of the Conspiracy Theories presented here at ATS. This is no Conspiracy Theory it is rather a FACT of our lives to come. It should have us shaking in our proverbial boots, but it will in fact be accepted and assimilated into our not too distant future's.

There is nothing we can do except sit by, perhaps complain a bit and watch as it becomes a routine part of our lives. We should and will hide our heads in shame for allowing it too happen without much more than a whimper. It has been inevitable since long before Orwell even considered such matters.

When our Hairy Ancestors first conceived the wheel this inevitable extension of technology was guaranteed its place in the future of Our Kind. Even the Soap Opera's that play out on our Daytime TV prophesied this as our future. We just have too know what everyone else is doing and it should surprise no one that it should manifest in how we Govern ourselves. We should blame nobody but ourselves, for we were warned and yet have done nothing to stop it. Shortly we will yet again elect a new crop of Leaders, who will under cover of our false protests do our bidding. The Majority must and will rule.

[edit on 12/26/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalamander

Funny you should ask. I have read an article that NYC is now implementing cameras throughout lower Manhattan. I need to find it and I will post it up. Maybe a connection there.

apc

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It would be fairly easy to collect the required facial data from the Real ID network. They don't really need exact measurements, just the distance ratios of facial features such what is the relationship of the space between the eyes to the distance from the nose to the upper lip, etc. Iris mapping is difficult beyond a couple feet, so that would still only be useful at ATMs and whatnot.

It's nice to point out that in a world where the old ways of disappearing into the crowd are becoming more and more difficult, new ways of manipulating the system open up which can actually be easier to accomplish than the old. An entirely new class of citizens living false, often dual lives will evolve. What then?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
They can get into any camera system in the world that they want to, either by coersion, or just by hacking into it them selves. What happens when you give blood now. They can always "acquire" your DNA right from the blood. People who spit on the street can have that collected.
If you blow your nose they can come along and get the kleenex out of the trash and get the DNA off of it. The ways are too numerous to count. Your DNA may be able to be acquired off of bottle or can that you drank from.

I might be sounding paranoid here, but if they want your image/DNA, there is little stopping them from getting it.
It is pretty scary, and I don't like it one bit.

As for having it secure, I personally don't think they care if you info is secure, as long as THEY can access it.

apc

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There may be little stopping them from "getting it," but there's a whole lot of laws preventing them from using it. While the notion that they could obtain a DNA sample from a blood donation is ludicrous, even if they did legally the clinic would be acting as a federal agent and subject to privacy laws. Meaning you would have to sign something at the time of donation saying, "Yes the feds can have my blood." The same applies for personally identifiable biometric data. You must knowingly permit them to take measurements, otherwise any use of the data in court is inadmissible. As I suggested before, compliance with Real ID most likely volunteers this information by default.

Trash is trash however, and fair game for all.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
big deal, you built a bigger mouse trap, just need different tools to fool it. bio metrics can still be fooled, we have alot of money from entertainment industry who can doop these im sure.

just more cages being put up and said theyre for our safety

just dont ever disagree with us.

you have the freedom to sit down an shut up.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here is a snippet of the article about cameras in NYC.

New York City police are moving forward on a multimillion-dollar counter-terrorism initiative, installing more than a hundred license plate readers and eventually thousands of cameras in Lower Manhattan...The license plate readers are just the tip of the iceberg in what's billed as the Lower Manhattan Security Initiative.
We're looking to put in, ultimately, a thousand cameras in public spaces, link it to 2,000 private sector cameras,?says Kelly.
All the cameras would be monitored by police at one location. Virtually anyone who walks or drives south of Canal Street could be under surveillance.

surveillance in NYC

Hopefully this won't catch on everywhere, although I am sure that once NY has it in place, other major cities will follow.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
won't catch on everywhere?
What are you kidding yourself?

We have at least 4 cameras on every street corner in small towns, large towns, metro's and even in mountain towns. You can't get away from cameras. It's the way of the future, plus since hard drives can hold terabytes now, we got all the space in the world to store you. Corporations have already scanned you if you work for one, need that badge to get into the buildings nowadays. All they have to do is hand over that data to the feds. This isn't just happing in NYC and it's surrounding areas, it's everywhere already!

Smog register readers on, on ramps, off ramps, with liscense plate readers.
Just because you see something like this happening in Hollywood, doesn't meant it isn't happening everywhere.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by WalkOn]

apc

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Most cameras on street lights are strictly for traffic control and don't actually record or transmit. I bid on a local contract for one such system a while back and they're actually pretty cool. They can tell the difference between a car, a motorcycle, a bicyclist, and a pedestrian, managing the lights as needed.

Red light cameras you can tell the difference. They're usually bubblecams with infrared illumination. Not always, but that's what they usually are around here.

That NYC article doesn't surprise me. If you want to see the future, look east.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I love the way the use the words counter terrorism, safety and fighting terrorrrrrr.

To hide the fact that they are after regular Americans to keep the masses branded and in their respective pens.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WalkOn

I am talking on such a large scale. I don't think small towns are spending that kind of money on such sophisticated systems yet. And I stress yet. It would not surprise me at all if these systems go down in price and every town everywhere gets them. Just part of the plan.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
There may be little stopping them from "getting it," but there's a whole lot of laws preventing them from using it. While the notion that they could obtain a DNA sample from a blood donation is ludicrous, even if they did legally the clinic would be acting as a federal agent and subject to privacy laws. Meaning you would have to sign something at the time of donation saying, "Yes the feds can have my blood." The same applies for personally identifiable biometric data. You must knowingly permit them to take measurements, otherwise any use of the data in court is inadmissible. As I suggested before, compliance with Real ID most likely volunteers this information by default.

I never said that is what they would do. I was just commenting on possible ways that your DNA is out of your body and accessable. Also, I don't think they really care about following laws. The government has already suspended many constitutional protections in the name or preventing terrorism.

The other ways I listed though have already been used to gether DNA by law enforcement, and have already been allowed into courts as discarded property by us and therefore any further reasonable expectation of privacy is gone.
My point was to be careful with throwing things away or they can be collected and used by the government.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Well if the information is secure as it is in the UK, rest assured it's only a matter of time before your confidential and private information is up for sale on ebay.

new topics

top topics

join