It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we knew then what we know now... Bad Historical Choices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I was thinking about this tonight after playing Trivia... the "guys" team got a question about what material was Thomas Jefferson's such and such written on, and I seemed to be the only one who readily knew the answer was Hemp. I forget that not alot of people really know that hemp was America's ORIGINAL cash crop, being replaced by the much softer cotton (in a wide perspective, this is the major reason hemp went by the wayside... other materials slowly helped almost entirely phase out hemp).

So, what I started wondering about was what life would be like if we had made different choices in history. Then I started wondering what other people thought were some major forks in history that may be considered some of the worst made.

So, to start out, I can think of 2:

1) As I mentioned before, the choice to use cotton over hemp. As we are finding out now, there are SO many uses for hemp, while cotton is mostly limited to fiberous product use. Personally, I think that if our forefathers knew the possibilities of hemp, they would've kept on using it and supporting it.

2) The choice to use combustion engines instead of electric motors. At the dawn of the automobile, we were already in the infancy of electricity. People at the time liked the idea of an electric car over the noisy, smoking combustion engine. The "powers that be" unfortunatly won over on this one, although electric cars were starting to show promise. It shouldn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to understand how much of an impact this made on shaping the world we know today!

What are some other times in history where we had a good plan in hand and initiated, and a lesser (and probably immediatly favorable, or favorable by the people in power) plan was implemented and is it something that we corrected, or are just now trying to correct?

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The Gulf of Tonkien deceit. If the decision to escalate the war in Vietnam by a false flag had not been taken, the war would have wound down years sooner. Not only would many lives have been saved, but the space race was still strong enough to where it as a competing arena between the US and the USSR would have put us back into space decades sooner.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
1) As I mentioned before, the choice to use cotton over hemp. As we are finding out now, there are SO many uses for hemp, while cotton is mostly limited to fiberous product use. Personally, I think that if our forefathers knew the possibilities of hemp, they would've kept on using it and supporting it.

Our forefathers knew full well the many uses of hemp, they just didn't have the technology to get every single benefit out of it. It was not our forefathers who made it impossible to grow in this nation (and we are the only nation that doesn't grow it for fiber).
It was corporate greed and racism and nothing more than that put an end to the crop that can save the world.

So historical mistakes that need be fixed:
The Dupont, Hearst, and Anslinger family trees should be wiped out at the root before its evil has a chance to flourish and change the world for the worse as it has done.

Another thing that should have been fixed early is consumerism should have been treated like a plague.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Not that I disagree with the OP but I am a little curious how this invloves Secret Societies? Is there a corollary that I missed or one that you care to make?

new topics

top topics

join