It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people think they learn from school?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Teachers don't teach students as much as they can in a unit. They take too long in a unit intentionally so they can brainwash students. Learning from the internet, or books, would be more of an appropriate medium to learn from... but.. not enough people care. Perhaps if more people realized that they learn nothing from school and that learning from books would be easier that more people would be able to make the society more productive and capable? Or, perhaps, what they feel that they have enough? Maybe those in society that don't want to learn don't want to because they aren't given access to all of the information that exists? If more information was available to the general public would they be able to learn from it? Are people that blind to think that they actually learn from school? Fact: You could learn most, if not all, of the things you learn from school on your own if you were given the information presented in a way to you that you could understand it.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't know, but I definitely wonder when people will stop having to go to school in order to study and learn, and use the different way of being schooled.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Maverick, I'll say this, I learned more in two years of college than I did four years of high school. Other than learning basic math, spelling and a minute understanding of history, I really learned nothing in grade school. Most of my learning came outside the clasroom, and college.

[edit on 25-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I think high school's a waste of time....

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I don't think you can say that teachers intentionally go out to brainwash students. In my country (UK) their is a curriculum that the teachers must stick to whether they agree with it or not. It's where i got my thirst for History.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
School is important but not because of what it teaches you. School exposes you to a lot of different media and a lot of teaching techniques. This way you can figure out the best way that you learn and teach yourself.

For example, if I right something down on a sheet of paper. I'll remember it and I rarely need to look at that sheet of paper again. Tell me a sentence and by the time you start your second sentence I will have forgotten most of the first. My husband is the opposite. You can tell him anything and he'll remember it. I'm a visual person. He's a verbal person.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
mistressofspices- I never said that school was a bad idea. The importance of school cannot be undermined yes, but, when one thinks about it, we can learn through a lot of other mediums. I disagree with you. I go to a private school and the teachers there choose favorites and I have been singled out by the teachers because throughout the time that I have been there after I changed schools a year ago I have been unable to pay attention many times so their impression of me is now that I can't pay attention, think, or learn, so I can't learn in school. I'm now finding it much easier to teach myself outside of school. I find other mediums like book great for fact checking, and, the internet for a resource on opinions. Correct me if I am wrong but being on the outside looking in on school being the one that's left out most of the time I feel that school is a horrible place to learn in that singles out many people that don't go with the norm and stereotypes a lot of people as "cool" or "dorky" and I don't see how anyone can learn in that environment.

Peruvianmonk- I learn outside of school best through books, articles online and on newspapers, and through museums. I can't learn in school. When I am in school I get paid very little attention to in my private school and I only learn one thing from a teacher and the teacher can't help me because they feel that it is more important to help other students.

TheoOne- I agree. I learned a lot through elementary school and middle school. The only important classes I think that you have to take in high school are the math classes there and the science classes. All the other stuff we basically know and we can learn about on our own.

Additionally, TheoOne, one has to think about how long it will take before people will actually be able to learn outside of schooling and whether it will be successful or not.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I myself learn mostly outside school I only use the teachers to test my idéas and ask for more indepth information about something. But school is important but mostly stimulation from parents in a young age is very important for the brains development. Actually even stimulation before birth is important.

If information would be more accessible for the general population they sure ought to read more - it's a given fact atleast in Uk, Norway and Sweden when they had campains to increase reading and loans of books.
So the general populus would read more I believe.

new topics

top topics

join