It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA was founded by Secret Societies and Not Christianity.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Personally, I'd argue that Masonic Light, Tenryuu, and Augustus Masonicus have done a pretty good job themselves.

When it comes to Christianity, while many of the people who built the country were religious to some degree or another, it's no accident that we have the idea of Separation of Church and State.
The idea that America was founded by Christianity is a myth, mostly because most of the population is Christian.
Religion seems to be a key issues in the founding, but not as big as some people would have it.

However there is one key point:

Article the third [Amendment I] Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The government meddles with religion more than it was originally intended to, to the favor or disfavor according to the various people who agree or disagree with the proposals.

Christianity is the predominant religion in the USA, and it was as well at the time of it's founding. However, the States were not intended to be strictly Christian in practice.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Looking back over this thread I see masons claiming this and that only to be corrected by the outstanding members here.

Really? Since all I've seen is the "outstanding members" claiming this and that while much of it has been corrected by the Masonic members.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

founded on christianity ?

the US was founded on freedom of religion and seperation of church and state

grade school kids know this

deny ignorance indeed

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
First off weren't the men who wrote the part about the separation of church and state either a deist or an atheist (Benjamin Franklin). It says nowhere in the Constitution or the Deceleration of Independence that we are a Christian Nation and that we were built to be one at that. It said more importantly that the government shall not sponsor or give any money to any religion.

I think this contradicts itself since you know....we have chaplains that are being paid in our armed forces.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

Ole' Ben Franklin was a Deist. Wiki states that Thomas Jefferson was the first to bring it up in a political sense in America, though a fellow named Roger Williams seems to have coined the phrase.

As for the seal being part of his work... Franklin's intention for the seal was much different than how it ended up.

Edit: For anyone interested, I managed to find a image of Franklins design for the seal.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dfb5ccd4cfe.jpg[/atsimg]

It's the Exodus, with King George as the Pharoh.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I do remember somewhere in the Constitution that this is a country that allows the people to have freedom of religion, not just Christianity. Yes, our first colonists were Christians, but with the establishment of our Constitution religious freedom took precedence.

reply to post by RuneSpider

That seal is very symbolic; I do like the motto of the seal.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

I like the phrase, a lot of people thought it looked odd though. And I imagine King George made the seal itself to personal.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Many of the early American Christians were being chased out of Europe by the Roman Catholic church - or at least they sought freedom in the States. It is worth remembering that even in the 1700's, Christianity was splintered and did not worship or believe in a singular way. From Catholics to Quakers, America was to exist separate from a particular faith tradition.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Our founding fathers were predominantly Christian more so then any other faith....that said Christianity at the full fruition of the Renaissance especially in the new world, didn't embrace the down right Pharisee revival that plagues the 20th century brand of the church.

These were men who had as many philosophical ideas based in the Cyropaedia as the New Testement. Cyrus was their ideal leadership model, a new Empire that embraced tolerance, and diversity in thought in contrast to the inherent dogmatism they had escaped from Europe. They were free to read what they wished and took full advantage.

In other words, in the 1700's it was okay to be a devout Christian in America and still appreciate Roman and Greek art and even dare to quote wisdom from pagans.....like those Greek and Roman Philosophers on which our governmental system is based.

Many of todays fundimentalist would be the first to persecute Christ if he dared to question their Sunday school teachers. Somehow while Christ taught tolerance, and love, many today beleive you have to be most untolerent, and fingerpoint to show how "Christian" you are, or like to "Lawyer Up" with scriptures as weapons instead of understanding in a way indentical to those that persecuted Christ for daring to reinterpret the law.

Our founding fathers were both vey devout, and open minded.......yes that is possible. Thumping the bible does not equate to understanding it.

[edit on 12/11/2009 by ForkandSpoon]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join