It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargazers Excited as Mars Makes Close Encounter With Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Stargazers Excited as Mars Makes Close Encounter With Earth

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — Mars will be unusually bright this Christmas Eve and the moon will be shining full — a development that might make Santa Claus rethink his need for Rudolph's red nose.

That idea, from Miami Space Transit Planetarium director Jack Horkheimer, made us wonder if retooling a certain reindeer song is the best way to explain it to the kids:

Mars is a red-tinged planet

With a very shiny glow

And if you look to see it

You will find the moon in tow.

The red planet will shine brighter because it will be directly opposite the sun, reflecting the most light, and fairly close to Earth, only 55.5 million miles away. The full moon will appear nearby, rising about an hour later, said Horkheimer, host of the public television show "Star Gazer."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Planet Mars close obit to Earth (from ATSNN)

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Mars will outshine the brightest star and won't be as noticeable in the sky for nine more years.The red planet will shine brighter because it will be directly opposite the sun, reflecting the most light. It will be only 55 million miles away. So if you are out this Christmas eve in clear skys, Mars will be unusually bright and visible very close to the moon!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
nice article; thx for posting... i just now went outside, after seeing this, and looked at the moon and mars... luckily we have a nice clear sky at the moment... it was beautiful... mars is very bright right now... i dont think it is brighter than sirius tho, but close... i wish i had a nice telescope...

jack horkheimer rules! he has a lil 5-10 min show on our local PBS station where he keeps us updated on whats happening in the night sky... i have watched him for years now, he's be on for at least 15 years or more...

"and remember, keep looking up!"

join