It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Hoover planned for mass arrests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh what a tangled web...

By the way, nice community here at ATS
. I've been a lurker here for about 2 years and I check the news here everyday. I Couldn't figure out how to post with all the bells and whistles on the site, but it looks like I was finally victorious. Here's my contribution. I hope it wasn't previously posted. Thank you all for making this community what it is. ATS is truly a gem. While reading the following post, keep in mind the suspension of habeas corpus.
Sorry for all the edits

news.yahoo.com...

Mon Dec 24, 8:42 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Former FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover had a plan to suspend the rules against illegal detention and arrest up to 12,000 Americans he suspected of being disloyal, according to a newly declassified document.

Hoover sent his plan to the White House on July 7, 1950, less than two weeks after the Korean War began. But there is no evidence to suggest that President Truman or any subsequent president approved any part of Hoover's proposal to house suspect Americans in military and federal prisons.

Hoover had wanted Truman to declare the mass arrests necessary to "protect the country against treason, espionage and sabotage," The New York Times reported Saturday in a story posted on its Web site.

The plan called for the FBI to apprehend all potentially dangerous individuals whose names were on a list Hoover had been compiling for years.

"The index now contains approximately twelve thousand individuals, of which approximately ninety-seven percent are citizens of the United States," Hoover wrote in the now-declassified document. "In order to make effective these apprehensions, the proclamation suspends the writ of habeas corpus."

Habeas corpus is the right to seek relief from illegal detention, and is a bedrock legal principle.

All apprehended individuals eventually would have had the right to a hearing under Hoover's plan, but hearing boards comprised of one judge and two citizens would not have been bound by the rules of evidence.

The details of Hoover's plan was among a collection of Cold War-era documents related to intelligence issues from 1950-1955. The State Department declassified the documents on Friday.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by kaspermartyrphantom]

new topics

join