It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Stealth Mineral Deposit on Mars....wow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Recently released from the ESA here is a snippet from the source.

"The MFF deposits intrigue scientists because they are associated with regions that absorb certain wavelengths of Earth-based radar. This had led to them being called ‘stealth’ regions because they give no radar echo. The affected wavelengths are 3.5 to 12.6 centimetres. MARSIS, however, works at wavelengths of 50 to over 100 metres. At these wavelengths, the radar waves mostly pass through the MFF deposits creating subsurface echoes when the radar signal reflects off the plains material beneath. "

This is the "Medusae Fossae Formation"

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Is this mineral deposit anything like what half the moon of Iapetus is supposed to be? I had heard that the dark portions of that moon were radar absorbing. There have also been numerous theories put forth that the moon is artificially created. If the same material is found on Mars does that diminish or strengthen the theory that it is non-natural?

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hard to say, but they also say that this is also an area were very little meteor's have impacted. They say they think it is younger than the rest of the planet.

You have to remember that alot of stuff is preserved in places like the moons where there is no atmosphere. That's why the big space race is going on right now to get there and mine Helium-3. Also this stuff is very thick kilometers I think. So if this is something of signifigance it would be very good place for the next mission to mars to start analyzing the mineral composition.

new topics

join