It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010: The Year We Make Contact

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Does anyone here who saw the film by Peter Hyams

"2010: The Year We Make Contact"

think that, like Close Encounters, there may have been government

involvement in the project as a way of desensitizing us all to disclosure?

In the film, the Jupiter moon Europa is cited as a possible alien base
of some kind.

More importantly, is the MONOLITH, from both 2001 and 2010,
a real thing?

I have heard that such a thing was discovered on the Moon!

Does John Lear, or anyone else, have any info about that?

What do you think about these films: are they fiction... or non-fiction?

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Not sure, but I just added 2010 to my Blockbuster Queue and expect it in the mail sometime by the end of the week.

I know there are monoliths on Earth that are pretty large. Unfortunately I don't have them bookmarked but I know I ran across some here on ATS.

On the moon? Not sure but I would leave that one to Mr. Lear as you requested.

I've always meant to rent 2010 but I kept forgetting. So thanks for the unintentional reminder.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HighDefinitionFilms

I'm not understanding why you're asking if things in known fiction movies are real. No, there isn't a monolith on the moon like that in 2001. And how would the guy who wrote 2010: The Year We Make Contact, know we'll make contact and when? All fiction, and certainly doesn't need a thread started about it. As much as I keep pleading for people to use their built-in filters to filter out reality from fiction before cluttering this forum with threads, nobody seems to listen.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elhardt

I'm not understanding why you're asking if things in known fiction movies are real. No, there isn't a monolith on the moon like that in 2001. And how would the guy who wrote 2010: The Year We Make Contact, know we'll make contact and when? All fiction, and certainly doesn't need a thread started about it. As much as I keep pleading for people to use their built-in filters to filter out reality from fiction before cluttering this forum with threads, nobody seems to listen.

Hi there, good day to you!

It's easy, this person is asking if John Lears knows of any monoliths exist on the Moon.

I am not sure is this person was asking if we are going to make contact in 2010 or not, the only thing I got out of it was the monolith.

HTH

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No, there isn't a monolith on the moon like that in 2001.

You must be an interesting person to meet at the local pub. I mean, having explored ALL of the Moon's surface, and brushed away the dust from EVERY rock.

I look forward to your next pearl of great value. NOT.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms

Does anyone here who saw the film by Peter Hyams
"2010: The Year We Make Contact"
think that, like Close Encounters, there may have been government
involvement in the project as a way of desensitizing us all to disclosure?

Hello HDF. I think the government influences film content both to avoid disclosure and hide the truth.

In the film, the Jupiter moon Europa is cited as a possible alien base
of some kind.

There is an alien presence, some are bases, on almost every planet and satellite/moon in our solar system. The government wants to keep that a secret so they use all kinds of scientific gobbeldygook to hide that fact from you.

More importantly, is the MONOLITH, from both 2001 and 2010,
a real thing?

I have heard that such a thing was discovered on the Moon!

Does John Lear, or anyone else, have any info about that?

The Moon, (our Moon) is truly an amazing place. There are fantastic constructs and bridges, arches and domes, buildings that would boggle your imagination, machinery so large we can scarcely imagine what it is used for. Towers over 6 miles high, cities and towns and settlements.

But all of this is carefully hidden from us. Much of what I have described is on the farside of the moon. but there is much to see on the near side. The problem is that we are so accustomed to hearing that the Moon is dark and cold and gray and lifeless that we would have trouble discerning what we see even if we could be given a look.

Its a full Moon tonight. When it comes up about 45 minutes after sunset go out and take a look. Do you think that is is there just my chance? That the mainstream theories that it just happened to be floating around in space and then passed by earth and fell into rotational lock with only one face that humans are ever allowed to see is true?

C'mon. Its a scam. We've been suckered by mainstream science. Again.

Open your eyes!

Thanks for the post and Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
IMO, there won't be any alien contact in 2012. It's all just a hype and wishful thinking.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by Breadfan]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
There is an alien presence, some are bases, on almost every planet and satellite/moon in our solar system. The government wants to keep that a secret so they use all kinds of scientific gobbeldygook to hide that fact from you.
Sorry for interfering in the conversation, but could you please tell me how and when do you think that secret started?

Its a full Moon tonight. When it comes up about 45 minutes after sunset go out and take a look. Do you think that is is there just my chance? That the mainstream theories that it just happened to be floating around in space and then passed by earth and fell into rotational lock with only one face that humans are ever allowed to see is true?
I don't know if the theories are correct or not, but a full Moon is a great view.

Unfortunately, this is the best I can get with a camera that is not even my own.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I'm not understanding why you're asking if things in known fiction movies are real. No, there isn't a monolith on the moon like that in 2001.

Thanks for the post Elhardt.

Well this may not be a monolith per se but it is in the middle of the Crater Copernicus and it was taken by Lunar Orbiter II. We originally labeled it a 'monolith' but after several months realized it was a bucket wheel excavator. Whoda thunk it? Anyway it is much larger than the monolith found in Clavius in 2010.

And how would the guy who wrote 2010: The Year We Make Contact, know we'll make contact and when?

Let me respectfully suggest that Arthur C. Clarke knows infinitely more than you do.

All fiction, and certainly doesn't need a thread started about it. As much as I keep pleading for people to use their built-in filters to filter out reality from fiction before cluttering this forum with threads, nobody seems to listen.

And with good reason in my opinion. By the time information gets filtered through mainstream science and then by our own built in filters its surprising that anybody knows anything about anything.

But thanks for the post and your contribution to filtered information. :

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well, with everyone headed there, should we be a little worried about a moon war?

[edit on 24-12-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by johnlear

Hi John,

Thank you for the picture you added above. I've never seen that one before.

I was wondering if you have been paying close attention to the JAXA website at all to see if they posted any pictures the could show more since they are taking shots in HD.

Or do you think that Japan sees a lot more and might be collaborating with the US to keep it secret?

I know I seen the one video they released but I don't have a trained eye to pick up on anything unusual yet.

And my last question, how far does a lunar orbiter stay away from the surface of the moon or what do you think the elevation in height would be from the surface?

I am just trying to get an idea on how far away it is when I look the some of the video or pictures that are released to the public.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breadfan
IMO, there won't be any alien contact in 2012. It's all just a hype and wishful thinking.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by Breadfan]

Did you shake your magic 8 Ball or make this assumption from a recent fortune cookie you had?

Just kidding.

Well, I hope we make contact before then at least, but I won't lose any sleep if we don't.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

LMAO... all right!!!! We no longer need to deny ignorance any more, because this guy has all the answers!!!!

Thank you for the pic JL always nice to read you contributions!!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheInfamousOne

If you want more information about the Japanese probe (Kaguya) there are some threads about it.

The most active (I think) is this one.

You can also visit the mission's web site, here.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i was 24y old and just made captain in the iraqi airforce, i was part of a 4 ship MIG-25RB interceptor team protectinng the border with the northern fly zone based at al-taqadumm air base IOC, scrambled on a clear summer night to a low flying target heading south/south east towards baghdad, target was at 4000 feet doing 180 knots, i came in at 1500 feet at 400knots, i thought it was an american drone, i identify it it was flashing bright orange and green light nothing i ever saw,,, i was oerderd to engage it, my mig-25rg was armed with 2 R-60/AA 8 AND 2 R-23/AA-7 i fired 2 at the target which made a 90 degree turn nothing i have seen before and ther was bright flash that blinded me, i was low so i went to full afterburn and pulled up,, the target was not seen on my rader or the controler in baghdad...my government then claimed a kill on a US done,,the US said nothing has been shot down,,it was over water no wreckage found,,,,any US radar or pilot out there who may have seen anything? that was contact

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
To the original poster - science fiction is *not* science fact, no matter how much we want to believe it is... Can we can pick and choose which sci-fi we want to believe? maybe the government had involvement in Independence Day? Or Aliens? or maybe The Thing?

Sadly, 1010, bases on Europa etc are pure Sci-fi until we have empirical evidence and probative proof...

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iraqi_Fighter_Pilot
i was 24y old and just made captain in the iraqi airforce, i was part of a 4 ship MIG-25RB interceptor team protectinng the border with the northern fly zone based at al-taqadumm air base IOC, scrambled on a clear summer night to a low flying target heading south/south east towards baghdad, target was at 4000 feet doing 180 knots, i came in at 1500 feet at 400knots, i thought it was an american drone, i identify it it was flashing bright orange and green light nothing i ever saw,,, i was oerderd to engage it, my mig-25rg was armed with 2 R-60/AA 8 AND 2 R-23/AA-7 i fired 2 at the target which made a 90 degree turn nothing i have seen before and ther was bright flash that blinded me, i was low so i went to full afterburn and pulled up,, the target was not seen on my rader or the controler in baghdad...my government then claimed a kill on a US done,,the US said nothing has been shot down,,it was over water no wreckage found,,,,any US radar or pilot out there who may have seen anything? that was contact

Date? Time? Year? Official report? (Radar operating in Baghdad? Advanced communication infrastructure? US drones and an Iraqi air presence at the same time? this limits it, if was even possible, to certain specific time frames that can be checked).

This could be *very* easy to debunk or prove with these facts... which is maybe why they are not included?

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
july 13 1995 20:20 evening,, al-rashid radar and baghdad cantre radar painting the target, also al-taqadumm radar control

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Originally posted by ArMaP

Sorry for interfering in the conversation, but could you please tell me how and when do you think that secret started?

That people lived on the moon has been a common belief since the beginning of time. When planets were discovered the same idea flourished.

So it might be more significant to figure out when the 'cover up' started.

I am working on pinning down that date. Isaac Newton published Principia in 1687:

The Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica (now known as the Principia) was published on 5 July 1687 with encouragement and financial help from Edmond Halley. In this work Newton stated the three universal laws of motion that were not to be improved upon for more than two hundred years. He used the Latin word gravitas (weight) for the force that would become known as gravity, and defined the law of universal gravitation. In the same work he presented the first analytical determination, based on Boyle's law, of the speed of sound in air.

en.wikipedia.org...

In Principia Newton proposed the Lunar/Earth mass ratio was 1:40 (Principia Book III Prop. 37. Cor. IV) which would mean the Lunar density would be 1-5 times that of Earth. I haven't found an objection yet to Newton's proposal while he lived. Newton died in 1727.

Leonhard Euler, Swiss mathematician and physicist, a few year's after Newton's death, claimed to have observed just at the beginning and end of totality, the edges of the crescent sun seemed momentarily which he attributed to a lunar atmosphere. Similar observations where made years later by Firsoff, Pickering and others.

But after reading Euler's report Roger Boscovich, a Jesuit Preist and mathematician claimed in 1953 to have "discovered the absence of atmosphere on the moon":

Boscovich also gave many important contributions to astronomy, including the first geometric procedure for determining the equator of a rotating planet from three observations of a surface feature and for computing the orbit of a planet from three observations of its position. In 1753 he also discovered the absence of atmosphere on the Moon.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

If any further proposals of a lunar atmosphere emerged they would be quickly and thoroughly dismissed as in the case of Peter Andreas Hansen, highly respected and decorated Danish astronomer and mathematician who in 1856 proposed a lunar atmosphere on the farside of the moon.

In 1870, U.S. Navy Admiral and Director of the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., Simon Newcomb journeyed to Paris to specifically discredit Hansen's theory.

Offering no proof or counter arguments Newcomb said, "mere speculation, unsupported by analogy, probability or observation."

So the beginning of the cover up of a lunar atmosphere which would imply life on planetary bodies other than earth might have started with the Jesuit priest and mathematician Roger Boscovich in 1753.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Elhardt

Elhardt, i believe you skimmed too quickly over the OP; the questions asked were whether anyone thought that the film was a propoganda ploy to aid in our de-sensitizing to the aliens subject, and posed a question about there possibly being a monolith discovered on the moon; perhaps in your opinion,which i respect as your right to express, that this is superflous and not necessasary; however,if we do not address questions as the occasion arises,what then? perhaps you can direct HDF to other threads or areas of pertinent information to help answer their questions?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join