It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul defends asking for special projects

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If he didn't send something back to his district, he wouldn't be a representative for long. The problem with earmarks is that the word is vaguely defined. What may be an earmark to one person is a necessity to another.Earmarks will never go away. It is a part of life in Washington.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I hate to be the immigrant telling some of you this, but an earmark is a way of tallying the spending and keeping it transparent. Otherwise it is spent in a discretionary fashion by the federal government. And we never get told where it goes.

People get so angry without realizing what they're getting angry about. They have no idea how government actually functions. Go spent some time at the state legislature and you'll get an idea if you ask around.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Ron doesn't like earmarks though.

"I've never voted for an earmark in my life," the Texas congressman said under questioning on NBC's "Meet the Press" about reports that he has requested hundreds of millions of dollars for special projects in his home district.

Ron Paul defends asking for special projects

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

From the article you quoted:

"I've never voted for an earmark in my life," the Texas congressman said under questioning on NBC's "Meet the Press" about reports that he has requested hundreds of millions of dollars for special projects in his home district.

"I put them in because I represent people who are asking for some of their money back," said Paul, who likened it to taking a tax credit. "I'm against the tax system, but I take all my tax credits. I want to get their money back for the people."

The people pay the taxes. I don't like the current earmark system either, but without it no one would get their money's worth. It would all be spent on things and on salaries that benefit no one at all, at large. What we need to do is not use the Congress to feed the Federal system and engorge it, we need to use it to benefit the United States and the various districts like that of Dr. Paul. And no money outside of that should go to feeding institutions and initiatives which are unconstitutional.

Otherwise, if the only way to get your projects funded is to earmark for tax money you paid in anyway, then so be it.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by projectvxn]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join