It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL Reasons You Want to Avoid Genetically Modified Foods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well folks more bad news.The food lobby has bribed/bought congress to approve genetically modified foods.

They have ignored all the danger of GM foods.

America is no longer free.It is completely in the control of big business.

The food lobby is determined to make you ill hand in hand with Big Pharma so they can bleed every last dollar from your dying hand....

see the documentary link below:-

video.google.com...

[edit on 23-12-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've read a couple of Smith's books. It's scary stuff and people need to pay closer attention to this issue.

His information has changed what I eat.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow - I actually watched that whole video, and it's long. But it spelled out what I have long believed. GMO's are likely what's making us sick (illnesses that were not a problem prior to GMO's - illnesses that no one knows what is causing them, antibiotic resistance (come on folks how many of you really believe this comes from over prescribing?) and a host of other things.

Then there are the things it didn't answer that I personally believe are connected. Like how fat everyone started getting with all the adulterated food out there (come on it corresponds with the timing and there are too many people who have weight problems whether or not they "eat right" and exercise). The severe rise in autism, dibates and others. I truly believe it's the adulterated food supply, contaminated vaccines and oh, then all the drugs they have to put us on starting in childhood for problems that just DIDN'T exist when I was growing up.

The question it doesn't answer is this - is it too late? Can we just stop eating them and undo the harm done. Maybe the book gets into this - can anyone who has read his book tell us?

Meanwhile - though I've been organic an meat and diary for 3 years now, (which I must report put my weight where it belonged even though I am unable to stay physically active) my god - I never realized how bad the fruits and vegetables were, but I have been wondering recently about all of these exotic produce items you never saw when I was a kid. I have recently realized I am gluten intolerant - but wait a minute, this seems to be another epidemic now that I'm looking into it. Guess what, the wheat we are eating is GMed to contain 90% more gluten that it did when our grandparents ate it. UGH! the only thing left is corn for me and that seems to be one of the most dangerous GM food out there. I give up. I am trying to choose between anorexia or bulimia. I am either anorexic from fear of food, or I can choose to enjoy whatever I want as long as I expel it prior to absorption.

Seriously though, can I afford to eat only organic? Can you? Can we afford not too?

What a sad country we live in when the big corporations are permitted to poison us.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
GMO's are likely what's making us sick (illnesses that were not a problem prior to GMO's - illnesses that no one knows what is causing them, antibiotic resistance (come on folks how many of you really believe this comes from over prescribing?)

I think over prescribing is a big issue. Maybe GMOs are contributing, but antibiotic resistance has been around as long as antibiotics have been used. Otherwise we would still be using just Penicillin... It is the over prescribing combined with the user's lack of commitment or resources that has most affected the resistance. Not taking the whole prescription all the way to the end, and then those bacterium that survive are resistant, combined with the fact that one didn't actually need antibiotics, ruins their effectiveness.

I do agree that GMO foods are probably partly to blame, partly for the overall 'emptiness' of the nutrition that chemically grown plants have, combined with the instability/use of GMO bacterium to 'edit' the plant's genetics in order to be dependent on said chemicals. In addition, many of the early trials to 'prove' capability of Genetic Engineering involved editing plants to have an identifiable genetic marker from bacteria, which was often resistance to Ampicillin.

Either way, there is no need for GMO foods. It is a lie told so that huge corporations can 'patent' their seeds, and then build chemical requirements into the plants that the companies sell. Round-Up is a prime example. They create foods that are genetically engineered to not die when you spray them with a certain chemical. There is nothing included to add vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrates, or anything of nutritional value to the plant, only ability to 'not die' when sprayed with Round-Up.

Ironically, with recent advancements in Organic Hydroponic techniques, it would be possible to grow as much food as we want, wherever we want, provided the plants have light (artificial or in a greenhouse) and access to water. Unfortunately, there is more money to be made killing weeds with chemicals than fertilizing with earthworm castings....

DocMoreau

ps... By the way for all you Round-Up users, instead of killing the weeds growing in the crack of your sidewalk with a chemical, try boiling water. You can even use the boiling water after you have cooked something, although some food wastes may be in the water, or the water might be discolored. Tests that I have tried at home, boiling water killed weeds as fast or almost as fast as Round-up. But instead of the Round-Up sitting dormant in our environment, the boiling water just cools to plain water....

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
With all respect, it is an hour long video. Could you sum up what's wrong with genetically modified food?

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Wow - I actually watched that whole video, and it's long. But it spelled out what I have long believed. GMO's are likely what's making us sick (illnesses that were not a problem prior to GMO's - illnesses that no one knows what is causing them, antibiotic resistance (come on folks how many of you really believe this comes from over prescribing?) and a host of other things.

Then there are the things it didn't answer that I personally believe are connected. Like how fat everyone started getting with all the adulterated food out there (come on it corresponds with the timing and there are too many people who have weight problems whether or not they "eat right" and exercise). The severe rise in autism, dibates and others. I truly believe it's the adulterated food supply, contaminated vaccines and oh, then all the drugs they have to put us on starting in childhood for problems that just DIDN'T exist when I was growing up.

The question it doesn't answer is this - is it too late? Can we just stop eating them and undo the harm done. Maybe the book gets into this - can anyone who has read his book tell us?

Meanwhile - though I've been organic an meat and diary for 3 years now, (which I must report put my weight where it belonged even though I am unable to stay physically active) my god - I never realized how bad the fruits and vegetables were, but I have been wondering recently about all of these exotic produce items you never saw when I was a kid. I have recently realized I am gluten intolerant - but wait a minute, this seems to be another epidemic now that I'm looking into it. Guess what, the wheat we are eating is GMed to contain 90% more gluten that it did when our grandparents ate it. UGH! the only thing left is corn for me and that seems to be one of the most dangerous GM food out there. I give up. I am trying to choose between anorexia or bulimia. I am either anorexic from fear of food, or I can choose to enjoy whatever I want as long as I expel it prior to absorption.

Seriously though, can I afford to eat only organic? Can you? Can we afford not too?

What a sad country we live in when the big corporations are permitted to poison us.

Grow your own garden.
Use whatever you personally think is best for you in regards to makeing it grow bigger and better.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well, between being too sick to even do a garden, and the fact that I'm a yankee in FL, where I haven't been able to make the transition to successfully growing ANYTHING down here, that is not an option for me. Especially the fact that there is no real soil down here, we went from NY mountain to FL sandbar lot living. I am seriously considering hydroponics in the house - but knowing this world now I'll be targeted for a pot farm - lol.

And then the other question - why are only some of us so far getting these bizarre illnesses that no one knows what they are. Although it remains to be seen if hubby develops one of the worser problems, like cancer he shouldn't have, over time. Some people do seem to be "immune" to the dangers if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Doc I totally disagree with your take on antibiotic resistance. I grew up on penicillan for the slightest ailment - it was always in the house. I still respond to all the older antibiotics whenever I have a problem. What I have a problem with is when they give me one of the newer ones - they fail, and THEN I need something even stronger to knock it out.

If I get the good old ones to begin with that always worked from the time I was a kid, basic penicillans, tetracyclines, sulfa drugs for things that I had in the past, they still do the trick. Just my personal experience, but something is wrong with the way the really expensive ones are the ones failing.

Again, I think this goes back to GM's. I think the Drs. know that there is stuff out there bigger than what we were exposed to when we were younger and between the money game and not wanting to take a chance they go for the super antibiotics, then when they fail they call it antibiotic resistance, which is probably over reported. For instance, I used to get bladder infections when I was younger. Though they are rare now I have to beg for the old tried an true sulfa drug and I will be fine in hours. What they want to give me is the new one shot cure drug, which takes days to work, is way over priced and won't knock it out in one shot anyway.

Bottom line, did you watch the video? When do YOU think the antibiotic resistance became an issue? I'm sorry but I believe it corresponds to the adulteration of our meats and dairy. The antibiotics they have to give the animals to fight the infections they get from being unnaturally fed are major and they are passing through to us (and they are super antibiotics - for cows). I personally have never met a Dr. who overprescribed antibiotics. (My childhood experiences were due to having an uncle with Bristol Meyers and an RN mother. It was there with no need for a Drs. visit)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I have been generally using organic products for several years now. Not only the food I eat and drink is organic, but the bathroom products such as toothpaste, soap, water I shower/bathe in is de-chlorinated water, etc.

While meats have been pumped with hormones to speed up growth gets transferred(not proven) to humans. Notice how the young are developing faster because the hormones they give the animals to speed growth are tranferred to us causing young females mamaries to develop faster(incl cows milk). The US is the fattest nation on the earth with help from hydrolized/hydrogenated oils and tran fats to keep business costs down. It is cheaper to make unnatural oils than to have natural oil ingredients to products from the business perspective. These oils are clogging up the arteries faster and one slogan that bottom-line tells you what big business is doing would be... "They care more about their shelf lifeof product, not your health life." Greed plain and simple has corrupted.

The ability, as mentioned earlier, to have one-life seeds was implemented by GM awhile back to make the farmers keep going back to GM for new seeds, not use naturally what they have in the past(regenerative seeds) driving up costs and controlling more of the system of food eventually. I see this consolidating on a grand scale in league with globalization not just greed, but control. For instance ma and pa stores have been disappearing in favor of giant corporations owning everything gradually, I suppose, giving us the illusion of choice when there really is none. Tv stations all owned by one group or individual, yet under different companies etc. Doctors/health practitioners seem to be taught that they should be treating symptoms of diseases and not the causes. Simply put, if you take an anti-acid pill for the stomach, what they do is deplete your current low acid in stomach in turn telling the brain to produce some more acid for the stomach, while the safe and easier way is just to drink a little vinegar to put the acid level back to normal versus asking the body to do more.

Getting back on the food/bathroom products... BHA/BHT is in most mainstream grocery frozen pizzas along with deodorants(breast cancer?). (again, not proven) I believe these are instigators of cancer. The sugar substitutes(yellow/blue/pink packets) have a neuro-toxin in them called sucraclose/ saccharin which was originally intended to be used as rat poison but they found it could also be a sweet substitute. This is some of what I believe is causing various neurological diseases such as MS, MD, fibromyalgia, Altzheimers', etc. www.neuroguide.com... to become more common as these companies have no watchers but the approval of the FDA makes it legal. Which is why alot of natural cures or things that could prevent diseases always tout the phrase, this product is not endorsed by the FDA and makes no claim to prevent yada yada yada. There are preventative treatments for Cancer right now for instance. Fda banned a vitamin but approved neuro-toxins for bodily use? meh...(B-17)

They put this stuff in little increments such as chlorine in the water(dries/damages skin), Fluoride in the water(hitler tested made people docile), lauryl sulfate family (bad for skin), BHA/BHT(potentially cancer causing) where a little here and there is not noticable, but does do harm to your body, mind IMO.

It reminds me of that dominatio doc floating on the web stating they will put poison in food supply, dental fillings, candy, whatever in small increments to not be detected to kill their enemy sort of thing...
(if you haven't read it, it is sort of like the forged, but copied from somewhere Protocols)www.unveilingthem.com...
excerpt:
[...]We will deceive them into accepting laws that will steal the little
freedom they will have. Those they look up to will help. We will enlist them to
push our poisons. They will see our products being used in film and
will grow accustomed to them and will never know
their true effect. When they give birth we will inject poisons into the blood
of their children and convince them its for their help. We will start early on, when their minds are young, we will
target their children with what children love most, sweet
things. When their teeth decay we will fill them with metals
that will kill their mind and steal their future. When their ability to learn has been affected,
we will create medicine that will make them sicker and cause other
diseases for which we will create yet more medicine. We will render them docile and weak before us by our power. They will grow depressed, slow and obese, and when they
come to us for help, we will give them more poison.
[...]

It really is bad, but until you go through something yourself unfortunately... we usually don't realize the grandness of deciet and control our world tries to pull on us. The best place to hide something is right in front of your face. (movies/tv condition) Hopefully there are some listeners and some will wake up eventually if not already and seek the only answer to all the above. Ultimately, taking steps physically towards this stuff helps somewhat, but nothing will save like My Christ and Savior Jesus Christ! I thank him only for answering my prayers and giving me some of His wisdom. Peace.

P.S. FYI, just because something is labeled organic does not mean it truly is(Horizon). Get to know your ingredients and what you are feeding/putting on you and your families bodies.

[edit on 12-26-07 by pacman]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
while tragic and futile, adverse health effects are only the tip of the iceberg.

controlled markets tend to result in contracted supply combined with huge margins rahter than volume. in the case of food, this strategy impplies desertification.

they are already succeding, see

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and to be frank, loss of topsoil is permanent while the effects of poison only last a lifetime, at max. add into the mix the 'benefit' of affecting everyone, even those with more natural food supplies by insane food prices, a strategic goal whose existance can easily be verified when you consider the sudden surge of biofuel initiatives around the globe.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
WHAT????

Horizon is not organic? I personally prefer Organic Valley Dairy, but when it's not available Horizon is my backup.

Please elaborate?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

WHAT????

Horizon is not organic? I personally prefer Organic Valley Dairy, but when it's not available Horizon is my backup.

Please elaborate?

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to do more than read the ingredients. If you are putting something in your body you should know where it came from, how it was raised, etc. I used to drink it too, but found it one day sitting in the local Walmart which made me wonder. Target does have some real organic products, but have not then encountered one organic product at walmart before. So I read up on it online. As you are probably aware to be labeled organic in the US, it must be only 95% true organic ingredients in it. In Horizons case it is a little more study than that. It is their procedures of feeding/raising the cow. Most people relate cows grazing on grass, right? Well naturally that is what a cow does, but in comes man wanting to change natural ways and flavors and just 'label' them as natural. Ever heard of the ingredient 'natural flavors' before? It is used with many things and is so generalized, it could mean many things... but usually it is not really natural if they have to say it is natural flavor. That is like swearing on the Bible in court saying you will tell the truth. You should already be telling the truth that's a given, so why the need to state it? Same with something natural.

Horizon gives their cows access to a pasture, but they are fed genetically modified food. As with chickens(KFC, etc.) they are not fed naturally and they include chemicals and antibiotics, etc. in turn being passed on to you, the actual consumer of the food. As many the case, the manufacturer is reducing costs possibly by space for the animal and saving product value pumping chemicals in it's body to minimize loss of product. They aren't concerned about your health life once it is bought(concequences). Just shelf-life of their product and how to minimize costs. Especially when Walmart is involved.

Recommend to study what you intake when your own flags come up or if even sake of curiousity. Included two links below about horizon organics. Good luck and we all are still learning, you have to with manufacturers changing names from high fructose corn syrup to hydrolized, hydrogenated, crystaline fructose, etc. to try to sweep things under the carpet so to speak. But it does take time and care from the consumers to be sure what they are eating.

www.associatedcontent.com...

www.google.com...

P.S. If you eat meat, try some beef that is grass fed sometime; taste the difference and try to keep unnatural things off and out of the body if it's your thing.

[edit on 12-28-07 by pacman]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I am eating organic meat, but Horizon is suppossed to be Organic. As for the Walmart part, they are now striving to stock organic to compete with consumer demand. They are one of the few stores that carry Stony Brook Farms which as far as I know is even preferable to Organic Valley.

Well, - I just give up!

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I still see no reason to avoid genetically modified foods.

Off topic...

They are one of the few stores that carry Stony Brook Farms which as far as I know is even preferable to Organic Valley.

Stony Brook, as in Stony Brook, Long Island, New York?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I still see no reason to avoid genetically modified foods.

The question is, "Is there any benefit for the consumer to have genetically modified foods?". Because I see no reason to push forward and narrow our choices today. It is getting harder to find any food not genetically modified. What is the rush? Do men have history of finding out later about disasters and are the ones that made that choice brought to justice or reconciliation? (public germ experiments, operation paperclip rewarded)

I don't have much time tonight, some quick links...
www.cqs.com...

*there is little scientific study about their health risks
*safety test technology is inadequate to assess potential harm
*they can carry unpredictable toxins
*they may increase the risk of allergenic reactions
www.actionbioscience.org...

www.howstuffworks.com...://www.wsws.org/news/1998/nov1998/gen-n21.shtml

"If left to me, I would certainly not eat it. We are putting new things into food which would have not been eaten before. The effects on the immune system are not easily predictable and I challenge anyone who will say that the effects are predictable."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I am eating organic meat, but Horizon is suppossed to be Organic. As for the Walmart part, they are now striving to stock organic to compete with consumer demand. They are one of the few stores that carry Stony Brook Farms which as far as I know is even preferable to Organic Valley.

Well, - I just give up!

I hear the thought, but don't give up because the world is inclined uphill odds in powers favor. It can appear difficult; they want it to overwhelm you in various areas of everyday life, not just the food.
Wild Oats got bought by WholeFoodMarkets, but both of those stores carry it currently. I haven't checked it out as I am mildly allergic to milk so don't buy any too often. I'm also allergic to chocolate, but luckily mildy too and I have always loved eating it without too many consequences. Paul Newmans peanut butter cups are really good.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacman
The question is, "Is there any benefit for the consumer to have genetically modified foods?".

Yes. Some genetically modified crops can grow better and in less hospitable places than normal ones - meaning they're cheaper and better. Because of genetically modified crops, we can feed people who would normally starve to death.

If "seeing no reason to push forward and narrow your choices" includes letting people starve to death for that, then I have to wonder how much you actually know about their benefits.

Now, of course, if there are health problems, you need to know - but it seems to me that most people who argue against genetically modified crops talk about genetic modification as a whole. That "50 Harmful Effects" link, for example, lists, as its first example, a food supplement. To produce this supplement, they use bacteria cultures. One company genetically modified a culture to make it more efficient, but failed to change their filtration process. The effect was that some contaminants got through. They finally changed it, and as far as I know, the supplement is safe now.

Our enemy, as humans and consumers, isn't genetic modification, or even genetically modified foods specifically. It is the use of things that aren't properly tested and the lack of review of things that are - and, in the end, making a responsible choice at the store. But we have to avoid generalizing genetic modification as one thing to be studied to determine whether or not it should be allowed or consumed (it's a technique, not a product).

[edit on 29-12-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Originally posted by pacman
The question is, "Is there any benefit for the consumer to have genetically modified foods?".

Yes. Some genetically modified crops can grow better and in less hospitable places than normal ones - meaning they're cheaper and better. Because of genetically modified crops, we can feed people who would normally starve to death.

who told you so?

what about Argentina (see link above) their soil is becoming sterile, while reistant weeds are developing, the situation is mostly blacked out by media, though. or try India, so called resistant crops faced a bollworm attack, exactly the kind of pest they were supposed to be resistant against:

regarding yields: mostly empty promise, see

www.organicconsumers.org...

besides, it works both ways unadulterated crops offer higher than avaegae yields as well:, see:

and

Now, on to harmful effects

crops aside, there are at least two cases of toxicGMOs, due to non-existant quality control, another example of which can be found here

query.nytimes.com...

one is the EMS scandal of 1989

www.aquarianonline.com/Eco/UnnaturalHarvest.html

the other is rBGH

www.organicconsumers.org...

that's all before considering the impact of cross-contamination on the economy, an example of which can be found in the lawsuit Monsanto vs. Schmeiser:

www.percyschmeiser.com...

that said, give me one reason why and HOW GM crops are helping the feed starving people? no glossy marketing brochures please!

...because destroying fertile soil will do none of that sort, just the opposite. there's no need to speculate, the field tests have been done and the results are in.

[edit on 30.12.2007 by Long Lance]

new topics

top topics

join