It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About The Mothman Prophecies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I just saw that movie 'Mothman prophecies' which is apparently based on a true story. The movie was based in West Virginia, US, so I assume the true story is aswell. Does anyone know any information or have any stories, visits or reports to tell about this place and the legendary Angel of Death 'Mothman'???

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
I just saw that movie 'Mothman prophecies' which is apparently based on a true story. The movie was based in West Virginia, US, so I assume the true story is aswell. Does anyone know any information or have any stories, visits or reports to tell about this place and the legendary Angel of Death 'Mothman'???

THe truth behind it is that there was a bridge collapse. Thats about it. The mothman was a legend from well before the accident. And Indrid Cold (aka the Mothman) was from a UFo story I believe. Basicly the entire movie is a big jumble of all sorts of stories made into one kind of creepy movie.

You can find lots of info on the net about it. Just look.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
All i can advise is that you check out the book which the movie was based on, it rarely dissapoints. Same name as the film, John Keel's The Mothman Prophecies.

Also try searching the forum because i'm certain this subject has come up many times before.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Actually, the movie really misses many of the things that happened and is total fiction based upon the book. There was no Richard Gere character nor the sheriff. Mr. Keel spent extensive time between Pt Pleasant and New York during the chain of events which led to the bridge collapse and in the book, he also discusses many other happenings going on around the US and the world for that matter. His book is written more as a research journal than a work of fiction. To me, the movie was entertaining but really let me down as far as capturing the essense of what really happened in Pt. Pleasant, WVA. The Mothman Phophecies is a true story based on extensive research but a very scientific and skeptical author drawn into it against his will. Forget the movie and get the book. I know, I know. I rarely read more than magazines myself but I'm telling you, you won't put it down.

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If you read my last post on this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You'll find information that questions the credibility of John Keel and his work. I challenge everyone to compare Woody Derenberger's and John Keel's versions of the character Indrid Cold. Keel's version depicted in "The Mothman Prophesies" is both fictional and plagiarized.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
..and what I'm, saying is that the movie does not represent Keel's work. In fact, Mr. Keel was in contact with Woody Derenberger and tells his story from an impartial viewpoint. The movie is truly fiction only with only the name Indrid Cold falsely portrayed as its tie. Keel's main contact in Point Pleasant was Mary Hyre who ran the local newspaper office and wasn't even mentioned in the movie. When you say Keel doesn't represent Indrid Cold properly, I hope you are referencing his true work and interviews with Woody Derenberger and not some half-baked hollywood script.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Keel is perhaps the most impartial and objective paranormal researcher I have ever read. His book "The Eighth Tower", which is out of print, contains some of the same events and about the nature of perception. If anyone wants to get me a copy they can look at my amazon wish list

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I Believe that mothman is based on fact. I havent seen the movie, but ive read alot of stories. There are some freaky things about it.

A short history of the mothman
And a map of its sightings.

[Edited on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thanks for those links Gear and Condorcet. I saw the movie last night and Hollywood sure took liberties with the story.
Bt, still, truth is stranger than fiction!

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
i heard there was a factory that was really old back in the 1940's that apparently had a catastrophic accident after the mothman was sighted circling in the air.

this isnt fiction either, i heard it from actual witnesses.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
For hell's sake the Mothman was a Tulpa created by a raving stark raving gang of mad satanist scientist's form California, stay well away from the Mothman - he mean's Big Trouble in Big China.

Seriously it's just an Electromagnetic Flap or a Visio Recall programmed by Psychick's for nefarious Dark Ungodly purpose's.

Don't get fooled by Superstition get into Hyperstition!

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
i heard there was a factory that was really old back in the 1940's that apparently had a catastrophic accident after the mothman was sighted circling in the air.

this isnt fiction either, i heard it from actual witnesses.

excuse my mistake i meant to type in newspaper documentation.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The problem with the movie was that it is VERY loosely based on the book. But the writers and directors wanted a more Cut and Paste flavor for the movie. It wa sa good movie...if you don't already know the actual history.

Keel's book is mainly an investigation into UFO phenomena in the Point Pleasant area. There is TONS of bizarre stuff in the book and hardly any of it is touched in the movie. The Mothman itself is almost nothing more than a background character in the book but the centerpeice of the film.

It's almost two completely different stories. But yeah, if you're into crazy UFO theories. the book is the way to go.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The movie "Mothman prophecies" is by far the best thriller/scary movie I have seen.
And I thik they did a great jobb when they combined all the facts in to a interesting story line.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Mothman even has his own official website... yes it's true.

Mothman lives dot com

I believe 'mothman' exists, though i don't know where it's come from or what it is.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Angel of Death??? I dont know what you've heard, But the Mothman seems like something that rather doesn't want to hurt you.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hello,

I used to live in Point Pleasant, WV it is a nice little town very quite and protective. I believe that the Mothman existed! I used to volunteer at Pleasant Valley Nursing Home and not every one in there was crazy, A lot of the residence told me about them being one of the 100's of people that sighted The Mothman. He was said to have lived in the old TNT building located by the fair grounds, which is close to where I lived it was really creepy at night. My mother and I was very interested in learning more about this creature, I even done a History fair project on it. We visited the TNT building there really was not much there just a really weird feeling out there this place is like really out in BFE with lots of turns and different buildings that you can see and some you can go in, these buildings are still standing including the mounds (locked all but one). I am proudly to say that I believe 100% in the mothman. They say that at first sighting every one blew it off as the Sand Hill Crane Bird (also the name of the street that the Nursing home is on!) the Mothman and the Sand Hill Crane was nothing in the same, the do not stand as tall as the Mothman and nor does it have big glowing red eyes it has little specs that are red eyes, so they flushed that idea out. When the silver bridge collapsed people said that they sighted The Mothman on top of the bridge, some people say it was there to warn them to stay away and other people think that he is the one that caused it. I believe that he was harmless he never hurt any one while there just scared a lot of people.

Thank you
Stephanie
[email protected]

reply to post by sugeshotcha

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
th mothman is real i have see him and you know what happed after that
not only did my cat get run over but i got raped and my father died he is real he look so creepy i froze in the position i was standing in for 20 minutes i couldnt move

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I purchased this book a few days ago and although I have 2 or 3 chapters left to read, I have some serious questions. If you read the book you know that for several months there was a phenomena of MIB and other odd people running around taking pictures of all these dozens and dozens of people who witnessed mothman or other entitities, or who witnessed ufo's. Even John Keel himself says his picture was taken several times by unknown people. Yet, not even one of these witnesses/contactees, not John Keel himself, ever took one picture of what was going on? I kept thinking ok, pretty soon I'm going to read where an actual person whom Keel interviewed had their own pictures but nope. I don't doubt the Mothman incident/s, but I do doubt the credibility of this particular version of events.

top topics

join