It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flock of birds mysteriously killed in N.Y.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Flock of birds mysteriously killed in N.Y.

NEW YORK, Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Experts are trying to determine what killed a flock of purple martins that fell from the sky in New York City...

"It was like Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds,'" said Donna Toti. "Birds were just falling out of the sky. They would land, lie on the ground, flap and die."

Officials said that some of the birds appeared to have died in mid-air.

More...

I wonder what they will learn.

Freaky stuff.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow. That sounds like the plot from that crappy movie, The Core. Was it The Core where those birds just dropped out of the sky after flying around confusedly?

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
omg i hope its nothing serious!

an ya Loam it was the movie The core, where all the birds fly around and then drop like flys

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Slew of sudden bird deaths rattles Staten Island neighborhood

4:20 AM EST, December 22, 2007

NEW YORK - Dozens of dying birds have rained down on a Staten Island neighborhood, and officials say they don't yet know what sickened them.

Residents and city officials say roughly 40 to 50 black birds were seen tumbling from the sky, flailing on the ground and expiring on a street near Great Kills Harbor around 3 p.m. Friday. Fire Department Battalion Chief John Giacella says firefighters arrived to find the creatures "floundering and foaming at the mouth."

Some residents say they noticed a strong chemical smell around the same time. Authorities blocked off the street and advised residents to stay indoors for a time. But officials now say air-quality tests have found no hazards.

Another report said there was a smell of ammonia in the area.

Why would birds foam at the mouth?

[edit on 23-12-2007 by yankeerose]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hmmm.......

One article calls them blackbirds and one Purple Martins.

The second link says they were foaming at the mouth.

Of course the "officials" say the air quality is just fine, must be something they ate!

I hope they find out soon so that others aren't suseptible.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

If it was ammonia poisoning, that would explain why the birds were flying around erratically. Could explains a lot of other things as well.

What are the specific signs and symptoms of ammonia poisoning?

Ammonia is corrosive. The severity of health effects depends on the route of exposure, the dose and the duration of exposure. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death. Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation.
The Facts About Ammonia

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I think in the movie they were dropping because they were flying into things. It is possible that some jerk poisoned bird food for kicks.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I noticed an appreciative lack of songbirds this summer. Cardinals, bluejays etc. Now this winter, I'm hardly seeing any sparrows that usually stick the winter out. My own health last year has been abysmal. Had a first hand experience with the new adenovirus. Pink eye for 2 weeks and sick for 4 plus. I don't know what to make of it.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Growing up in that area I have a theory :

Directly West of the harbor is a LARGE garbage dump (Fresh Kills Landfill)...how about Methane intoxication or the ammonia idea stated above. Just my two cents. Merry X-Mas.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Good theory, if they were feeding at a dump they could have gotten into something bad.
Also possible that someone poisoned them because they were driving them nuts with the noise and poop.

Ammonia smell strong enough for a neighborhood to smell it would have to be a pretty hefty spill.

Could also be they ate christmas decorations.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It appears to be an increase in dead birds falling from the sky as well as other mysterious objects. They may or may not be related. This oddity causes concern and maybe there is something the authorities are not telling us.

Overdose Of Toxic Chemical To Blame For Dead Eltingville Birds
January 04, 2008

According to the City's Health Department, an overdose of a toxic chemical is the cause of dozen of dead birds found in Great Kills and Eltingville last month.

Samplings of the black birds were sent to the Animal Health Diagnostic Center in Upstate, New York over a week ago. A chemical called Avitrol was found consumed by the birds. The agent is used to remove birds from their location.

www.ny1.com...

I had posted this before, but, to no response. There is more than space debris falling out of the sky. This story is odd because there was a loud noise, however, no object for creating it was found.

Did airplane dump sewage on Chicago? - MSN Video
Dec. 12: A disgusting mess rains down on a Chicago neighborhood. WMAQ-TV's Phil Rogers reports.

video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&fg=rss&vid=fcc30396-02b8-4fad-afc7-05b7af263375 - 27k

Chicago Suburb Residents Think Plane Dumped Lavatory Contents
Created: 12/12/2007 12:14:12 PM
Last updated: 12/12/2007 12:15:01 PM

www.ksdk.com...

Perth: Mystery as thousands of dead birds fall from sky
Ξ January 9th, 2007 Mysterious |

www.supernaturalnews.com...

posted on 8-1-2007 @ 08:33 AM
(Breaking) Large Number Of Dead Birds Closes Downtown Austin, TX

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on 6-5-2003 @ 06:14 PM
dead birds

www.abovetopsecret.com...

MASS DEATH OF BIRDS REPORTED IN ILLINOIS
October 15, 1999
About 2,000 dead birds fell from the sky in Mascoutah, Illinois.
Dead birds included starlings, grackles and red-winged blackbirds. The cause of the deaths is not known, and the case is being investigated by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

www.ufoinfo.com...

Mutilations in Puerto Rico
One morning in 1975, Bello awoke to find his dozen geese dead, scattered across his backyard in a circle. An examination of the dead birds revealed two circular perforations on each animal's body. His call for help produced the arrival of a team of white-suited men with geiger counters, who scanned his backyard with the greatest care, but unwilling to answer any questions. Imagine the man's surprise when a policeman told him that his family would have to vacate the premises, and that squad cars would be posted to prevent access down his street.

www.geocities.com...

Mysteries abound! What do you think?

(edited to add word)

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Siren]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If all these mass bird die offs we've read about over the last 2-3 years are true and accurate, and I have no reason to believe they are not, then I think the culprit is not environmental/biological, but physical/energetic.

Main candidates are highly energetic, and possible new, or top secret forms of radar, microwaves, ionizing radiation, etc. DOD/DARPA has recentluy admitted to various forms of stand off weapons that are allegedly non- lethal, but lethality is easily achievable with higher energy output.

Maybe testing of these systems?

Maybe HAARP?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The birds could have eaten out of a dumpster that coincidentally contained some toxic material. Would explain why they started dying at about same time.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It must be a flying dumpster because just after my previous post I found this article.

Disease Likely Cause of Utah Bird Deaths
Friday, January 4, 2008

SALT LAKE CITY - About 1,500 dead birds that have washed up on the southern shore of the Great Salt Lake may have been killed by avian cholera, an expert said. Dead grebes, ducks and gulls were being sent to the U.S. Geological Survey National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., for examination.

home.peoplepc.com.../477dbd50_3ca6_1552620080104-811780776

I recall how coal miners would carry birds down into the tunnels to determine whether the air was good or not and if the bird died they would leave the tunnel. The only difference... we have no escape.

How can it be that birds are getting different ills yet, all are falling from the sky? If it is a public health concern the CDC or Public Health should alert/tell what the heck is going on.

This is totally bizarre.

new topics

top topics

join