It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Internet a Tool for Enslaving Your Mind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
After reading a recent thread on the ‘Deep Web’ Link I was left thinking about the internet, how it works, how it is managed, and the implications of its management and subsequent impacts on society.

As was noted in the thread on the ‘Deep Web’,

A few weeks ago I was sitting on an airplane flipping through a computer magazine which had an article about google. In this article they said that google only finds 2% of all the information in the internet.

I am really amazed by this reality. It seems perfectly logical that there would be barriers to a search engines ability to enter all the various forms of storage, thus limiting the readily availability of information.

Although this seems logical and easily believable something about it really bothered me. I just could not get the idea out of my head that when searching the internet we are only seeing about 2% of what is out there to see. I love the internet because I feel like I can find relevant information on ANY topic that I want.

This is key, with the internet I believe I have access to unlimited information. I feel like I can log on, do some searching and find the information to I need to form an opinion. This is where things become dangerous in my mind.

What is to say that the 2% of the information we are able to access is not intentionally misleading? What better way to take control of the masses than to indoctrinate them?

Could the function of the internet not be contrived to create a mental prison for its general user? Framing issues in a way that benefits the elite by creating multiple sides to every issue, giving the information the appearance of having a diversity of view points, or sides, that can be adopted in ones own beliefs, but still framed to enslave your mind, to make you readily compatible with the needs the elite have for the general population.

Maybe it is even easier than creating all the information out there. Maybe all it takes is creating gateways that limit peoples ability to pull up relevant information on the internet. Could the government / elite create a system of gateways that only permits people to access certain kinds of information? Like profanity filters?

An example of this would be the creation of government filters in China Link.

My point or question is simple/ Could the elite use the internet to indoctrinate our minds? Could all or the majority of the information we receive be ‘cherry picked’ to enslave our minds?

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
*everything* is a tool that enslaves your mind. You just have to learn how to not become attached to things.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I don't know about "enslaving" us, but the internet is definately a way to condition the opinions and knowledge of the general public. 2% is kind of scary though.... You still get stuff about me and that's just 2%?

join