It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

faking being deaf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i started thinking about this last night. my wife and i watched a movie and this is part of the sub plot. i won't name the movie cause it will ruin it if any of you come across it, which you probably won't, but still. the title matters not.
--------

so, a character in this movie is deaf...or is this character...
in the movie, everyone thinks this character is deaf and they talk about this character and call names, etc etc all in the preasence of this character cause after all, the character can not hear.....

i started to think in a warped kinda way, it would be cool to fake deafness.
why?

if people didn't think you could hear, you'd get all the goods man...you know?
learn sign language to make it more realastic. learn to train yourself not to 'jump' when you hear a loud noise....

you would get ALL the goods...i think you'd really get to see(hear) what people are really like. you'd get to see(hear) how cruel people really can be.
you'd get to see(hear) the inherent 'bad' in people.....

don't you think?

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I sure do.

People don't think I can speak cantonese, and they "gob" off about me, or westerners in general all the time.

It's not that nice, and sometimes you just wanna

or better yet

Monkey

apc

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
See I prefer the opposite approach: letting everyone have the experience of faking deafness. The only difference is we both know they can hear what I'm saying.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

I know what you mean, man. I'm not a westerner and I'm not Chinese either, but I do understand what they talk about when they think no one understands.

I'm in the process of learning Tamil (that's what most Indians here speak), so that would be interesting.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I'd be guessing that most of what they are saying won't be too polite given the current situation.

Good luck with learning Tamil though, I'm moving on to Mandarin so I can shout at the mainlanders as well!!

MonKey

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've never feigned being deaf, but I do understand enough French to have caught a few people talking when they didn't think I could understand them.
We're forced to take it in school in Canada even though it's a dying language.

When I worked in Los Angeles I had a friend that volunteered at an institute for the blind. We snagged a couple canes and put on dark glasses and would walk through malls or down streets clicking our canes just to watch the people get out of our way.
What the Hell, we were just teenagers......

We'd go into stores and feel the merchandise, then ask ludicrous questions just for the fun of it.

We'd even ask people to look for our car and get them to help us find it.
Then we'd hop in and drive away just to leave them standing there watching in amazement.

Here's a pic of Stubs with his cane and glasses:

Just keep in mind that he can see as good as you and I, and hope no blind people are reading this. :shk:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Sounds interesting (no pun intended). They only time I play deaf is when my wife if talking.

I don't think I could pass myself off as a deaf person. I'm too sensitive to the sounds around me.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They did it even though I could hear back when I was a lad. Rotten bastards!

They didn't know I was behind 'em tho!

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I've never feigned being deaf, but I do understand enough French to have caught a few people talking when they didn't think I could understand them.
We're forced to take it in school in Canada even though it's a dying language.

When I worked in Los Angeles I had a friend that volunteered at an institute for the blind. We snagged a couple canes and put on dark glasses and would walk through malls or down streets clicking our canes just to watch the people get out of our way.
What the Hell, we were just teenagers......

We'd go into stores and feel the merchandise, then ask ludicrous questions just for the fun of it.

We'd even ask people to look for our car and get them to help us find it.
Then we'd hop in and drive away just to leave them standing there watching in amazement.

Here's a pic of Stubs with his cane and glasses:

Just keep in mind that he can see as good as you and I, and hope no blind people are reading this. :shk:

Mate, that is the best thing I've read in ages. Kudos.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
i think what your talking about is actually called selective hearing.

like when the wife is moaning about every chore she did at work that day and you just kinda tune out with a "yes dear, uh huh" now n then only to be caught out if she asks "what did i just say then?"

as someone who knows sign i did catch a couple of deaf blokes signing about me once when i was in general admission at our clipsal 500 V8 supercar race. because i seen a gap in the fenceline as 2 ppl left for some munchies so i jumped in the gap, next to the deaf guys.
i politely signed back "hi, how are you. what a great day for the race!"

they both looked stunned. my wife just smiled and giggled a little.

top topics

join