It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study:Britain has become a 'Catholic country'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Study:Britain has become a 'Catholic country'

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Roman Catholics have overtaken Anglicans as the country's dominant religious group. More people attend Mass every Sunday than worship with the Church of England, figures seen by The Sunday Telegraph show.

This means that the established Church has lost its place as the nation's most popular Christian denomination after more than four centuries of unrivalled influence following the Reformation.

Last night, leading figures gave warning that the Church of England could become a minority faith and that the findings should act as a wake-up call.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Blair Converts To Catholicism

[edit on 23-12-2007 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is very interesting, especially since Blair has just converted to a Catholic.

Of course, this is mainly down to the immigrant population from Catholic countries which has boosted the Catholic Church of England and Wales.

It will be interesthing how the Church of England reacts to this, there was reports the Archbishop of Canterbury was planning to restore the historical links to the Vatican. CoE may become Catholic (again)

(Even though the Anglican faith states its apart of the one, true Catholic Church)

www.telegraph.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Britain has been under the control of the Roman Catholic church since going back to George III who signed himself as the Prince elector of the new holy roman empire.

The Queen of England is the leader of the British arm of the Knights of Malta, who have sworn allegiance to the Vatican. Blair is also Knight of Malta, and his open conversion to catholicism wasn't a surprise

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Hate to break it to you...

Blair was never apart or had links to freemasonry. David Cameron is a freemason, we can prove that after a congratulation message from his fellow members became public.

Blair is not. Those who believe he is a Knight of Malta have failed to prove he was/is. And your arguement is highly flawed because Catholics cannot be masons (freemasonry goes against the Catholic faith)

Plus George II was Prince elector, not George III.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Would just like to clarify something, the largest church in Scotland is the 'Church of Scotland' which claims (according to wiki and the 2001 census) 42% of the population although only 12% actually go. The second largest is atheism/non belief - which is in effect the largest with 28%, while catholicism comes in third - way behind with 16% . Catholicism is even lower in Wales

So the title of the OP should actually be 'England has become a Catholic country' and not Britain.

G

[edit on 23-12-2007 by shihulud]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
So the title of the OP should actually be 'England has become a Catholic country' and not Britain.

It's combained across the whole of the United Kingdom, so it includes Northern Ireland too.

Plus, the 2001 census is 6 years old. It was taken before we opened our borders to Eastern Europe.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Somehow I don't think that the Scottish population has risen that much and all of the migrants being catholic. The governments population projections even has a decrease in Scotland, even with migrants, while all other UK countries are expected to increase.

The projected increase of 5.1 million in 2006 to 5.37 million in 2031 is only an increase of 250,000 people in 25 years (taken from the general registry office for Scotland) the number of migrants into Scotland numbers around 20,000 people per year and its hard to imagine that all these people are catholics.

So I stand by my statement of it being England that is being catholicised although I do concede that a study in Britain would show and increase but thats only due to the low population in Scotland, after all there are more people living in Greater London than in the whole of Scotland.

G

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Hate to break it to you...

Blair was never apart or had links to freemasonry. David Cameron is a freemason, we can prove that after a congratulation message from his fellow members became public.

Blair is not. Those who believe he is a Knight of Malta have failed to prove he was/is. And your arguement is highly flawed because Catholics cannot be masons (freemasonry goes against the Catholic faith)

Knights of Malta are not Freemasonry, so what is your point, and why the arrogant "I hate to break it to you" crap.

I know Catholics who are joined freemasonry

George III did sign himself Prince Elector of Holy Roman Empire
en.wikipedia.org...
Your arrogance and lack of knowledge doesn't do you credit

apc

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
And with the click of an edit button he becomes King of the Crab People.

I can't comment on the topic itself, but I just suggest that if someone is going to go on a personal attack and name calling, they would be wise to not rely on wikipedia to support their argument.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It should be remembered, though, that the number of reported Catholics outnumbers C of E members by only about 10,000 or so... in a population of more than 60,000,000 that's not a significant figure.

I don't know whether the Church of Scotland was actually included... if they were I think the Church of England and Church of Scotland combined would still outnumber members of the Catholic Church.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Never mind, its not worth it. Deleted the post.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by LightinDarkness]

top topics

join