It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Big Does ATS Get?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
With what is it, about 5,000 members now, how large does ATS get and once it has even more members where does it go from there? I hear quite frequently about the amount of posts and the members who have been online in so many hours. But whats next, are we making any kind of impact on making the uninformed conspiracy people aware of what matters, or are we supposed to be doing that? I know a lot of people learn a lot from coming to sites such as this, as I myself have since being around, but what is the ultimate goal or are there any ultimate goals to reach, as it seems there are goals with the numbers. Just some thoughts I wanted to put on the board.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Yes, been asking the same question for a time myself.

Commerciality vs quality in balance is a nice equation, using the original definition of "nice".

When you extrapolate to 20,000 members and anticipate the likely demographics in that it's a different feel to what is here today, and imagine what a Today's Posts will look like. Some have studied the need for some segmentation of audiences in a non-elitist kind of way, but the need for that hasn't been seriously considered yet in my opinion.

The stats that look bright and interesting today will pale into insignificance in 12 months time.

What controls are in place to make every step in the growth contribute to the quality of a member's experience and keep them coming back? Is the creative energy in some of the very talented membership being applied?

Same bat time, same bat channel.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Ever since way back in the beginning there have been crappy posts. The good thing about more members means there are more gems out amongst the crap. Extrapolate that

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
What's that, Skip?

tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk.

He fell down the mineshaft looking for gems? The greedy fool!

tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk.

You're kidding Skip. 13 miles?

tsk tsk.

Holy #ing #! We'll need some new open cut technology to get him out! And we're likely to get a crowd down there watching, so bring some sunshields and screens to protect the workers!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Skippy will save me!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
[ SELF CENSORED ]

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well it is an interesting question.Here is a link to the Post History.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its start coincides aproximately with when I first started visiting the board and the registration of my original account.
There are quite a few members that have been here as long or longer than that and they will know exactly what that 2 week period of downtime near the beginning was all about.

You'll see that average daily posts were around 100.That actually seemed quite busy back then and I have no doubt that come November,by which time new members now will be old hands,2000 posts will seem like a drop in the ocean.

Now,MA makes the point that ATS growth is grounded within an equation including Commerciality vs quality and that these two factors must somehow be kept in balance.I would disagree with this and I'd like to explain why.

Firstly let's deal with quality.It is a mistake to think that back in Sept 2002 every post of the average 100 was a classic.What is interesting though is that those who did make quality posts are in the main still here.My view is that the percentage of quality posters is aproximately the same as it was a year and a half ago.However,there appears to be a Darwinian effect with long term members.Those that can debate their point most eloquently gain respect within the community and remain.By as little as 4 months they are bedrocks of the community.If you look at the Who's Online you will see them.You know them because you might always read their posts or take their views more seriously.
The weaker members generally do not remain.They post for a short time then leave to find another community where less well thought out posts are not held up to such close scrutiny.

At the same time it is important not to be elitist or jump to quick conclusions about any new member,there have been big surprises.

Next there is Commerciality.It is important not to put the cart before the horse on this point and over play it.The growth of ATS is not linked to any populist policy,subjects have not been forbidden because they are deemed uncommercial.ATS grows because it is diverse.No one need conform to the norm of the community because there is no norm to conform to.This is lucky as from my experience people are not normal(except me
).
ATS grows because it is well run and because it offers people what they want and it will continue to grow as long as it does this and stays ahead of the curve.

Another quick point is that ATS membership figures are more honest.Alot of other sites do not cull accounts that are never used or have been abandoned.ATS figures are alot closer to active membership figures.

"What controls are in place to make every step in the growth contribute to the quality of a member's experience and keep them coming back? Is the creative energy in some of the very talented membership being applied?"

A very interesting point that I am interested in MA but one surely better raised in DISC.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
A very interesting point that I am interested in MA but one surely better raised in DISC.

Jb1

Perhaps you're right. In fact, by my calculation, there may well be an ATS staff vacancy on DISC!

If the discussion continues there, I would steer it this way. Of course, these are just my observations and opinions as a relatively junior member:

a. There is no "grounding" of the growth of ATS in the equation I have presented. It is just something to be cognizant of.

b. Post quality is measurable, not subjective.

c. Commerciality is not a parameter present in posts being commercial or uncommercial. It is an imperative that is either behind the growth of the site or isn't.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Jb1

Perhaps you're right. In fact, by my calculation, there may well be an ATS staff vacancy on DISC!

Where do I sign up!!!!!

If the discussion continues there, I would steer it this way. Of course, these are just my observations and opinions as a relatively junior member:

Junior member? lol

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If you want to think very grandiose, and out of this world, then just plan this: Once ATS has 100,000 members, an army large enough to assault Area 51 or some other secret base will be prepared, and take it over to lie some conspiracies to rest.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Dont seem like there is much interest in this topic at this time, why I dont know but it just leads me to believe that it is something that sooner or later will come up as the site grows and I do believe questions will arise as to where the site is going and what the purpose of ATS is and what the people who come here are really looking for, such as any goals or answers the members may be searching for, as I really believe that most people who come to sites like this do have some kind of reason or purpose in mind when joining a community such as this. Unless that a subject as this will be just blown off and the numbers game continue. Personally I feel that at times I am just part of a number, so anyone can take that at what its worth.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
From here i propose we take over the internet then from there the world!!!! muahahahahahaha

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Bigger the better as they say.

top topics

join