Hangover Remedies and Cures?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
With the Holiday seasons upon us (Christmas/New Year's/others), there is sure to be a bit of imbibing going on.

It's usually the 'next day' that our body WILL feel the effects. Hoh...boy!

The Dreaded HANGOVER!!!.

What to do?

**Remember**...You're body is dehydrated and needs to be replenished.

I'll include a few of my own remedies (don't know if there is an actual cure or not), then I'll have YOU guys give a few of your favorites!

Ducky's Remedies:

~ If you drink, 'try' to include a 1-1 ratio of glass of water to 1 drink.
~ Before you go to bed, 'try' to get some water into you and preferably a few Advils (Ibuprophen). I heard from a few Nurses, that 'TYlenol/Acetometaphen isn't good on the liver.
~ SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP
~ Try NOT to 'Mix' drinks. Stick with one kind, and that alone. (Anything more than that, don't say 'I didn't warn ya')
~ Gatoraide seems to give back the body's 'electrolytes', that were depleted via imbibing.

I have plenty more, but I want to hear from YOU!

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Ahhhh sleep is probably the best cure if you have the time to devote to it.

I found that before they took out ephedra type ingredients in cold remedies a shot of Nyquil worked fairly consistent in taking some of the hangover symptoms away so long as you don't over-do it.

Another thing that works well for short durations is getting outside in cool air. I have gone to work when I was younger with a hangover and breathing the frigid winter air really gave me a boost. I would even drive in freezing weather with the window down. It must have something to do with getting a lot of oxygen in the dense air??

Probably the best advice though is to either not drink or nurse it. Eating before you drink will also slow the rate of metabolizing alcohol somewhat.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Good advice about: eating before drinking Good one Ben!

***Word of Caution***

DON'T mix non-prescriptive/over-the-counter drugs with alchahol!

I found that before they took out ephedra type ingredients in cold remedies a shot of Nyquil worked fairly consistent in taking some of the hangover symptoms away so long as you don't over-do it.

'Nyquil' contains ingredients that tend to 'slow' the body down. If alcahol is added to the list, there's bound to be trouble - organ failure et al.

Good post Ben!

This thread will not discuss hangovers due to 'drugs' and the like; in conjunction with alcahol. We will NOT discuss 'how many drinks' ingested. It is for the soul purpose of sharing remedies and cures for hangovers due to over-imbibing. Let's not violate our TOC's.
Thankyou kindly.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Painkillers and more alcohol is the best way to cure a hangover!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
True, the best "cure" is what hikix says, however the best way to prevent one is before you go home to sleep, drink a ton of water, I mean load your stomach UP. Your body will thank you in the morning.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Everytime i have a hangover, ill drink gallons of gatorade and water, eat healthy and get plenty of rest... and ill continue to feel like crap until the next day. The best way is what i said above, although i dont RECOMMEND it!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I've seen these advertised on tv, but vouch for their validity.

chaser.com
They have a list of retailors nationwide and canada, so they must be national. You supposedly take one or two before you go bar hopping, and you wake up the next day sobered up.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by jtb2008]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Be careful when re-hydrating your body with TOO MUCH water:

Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system - your blood circulatory system - needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.
Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your blood circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.

Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jtb2008

Hmmmmm...wondering about this product now.

Have you had any experience with it personally?

I'm a wee bit reluctant about putting 'further chemicals' (besides alcahol/tobacco) into my body.

Was wondering about this one.

~Ducky~

[edit on 22-12-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

The best one I've ever come across - and it IS amazingly effective if you can stomach it - is a raw egg in a glass with a few dashes of Lea & Perrins. Sounds disgusting I know, (it is) - but I once had a near instant recovery with his method. A god send.

J.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

oh God...

Is this before or AFTER I >>

I'm being serious...Do I drink that concoction before I'm queasy?

lololol

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Another fav. or two of mine:

~ EAT. yes eat the next day. I don't care 'how' freakin pukey you get. Get some food into your stomach. Start with the basic stuffs. Bananas/Apples/Rice/Tea...otherwise known as the BRAT diet. These are foods that are 'tolerable unto the most sensitive stomachs. However, if your stomach is pretty grossed-out, even after you eat, and you feel the need to um.... >
(expel the contents)...feel free, then head back to bed. Get ready for round 2.

~ (Round 2) - once you've slept (I'm presuming you did), get ready for a major 'hunger attack'. Be careful of what flesh and human by-products that will satiate, past the gullet. It may taste good, may sit well with the tummy, but...there is a chance of the food, imitating a trampoline. This is what I call: bouncing down, bouncing up. URGH...we don't want this to happen, so take it slow. Remember, Your poor ol' tummy has been to hell and back...

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The main ingredient in Chaser is Calcium Carbonate, so it's basically not much different from an antacid. I've used it and it was alright I guess, not particularily amazing though.

What usually works for me is taking ibuprofin at the first signs of a hangover and then eating some toast. My stomach issues during a hangover seem to be related or at least worsened by my head issues so taking ibuprophin for the headache part reduces my symptoms greatly.

Also the last time I got a hangover it lasted for two days, and the thing that finally got rid of it was eating fresh fruit. I had a fruit salad of cantelope, pineapple and watermelon. So if you're not a person who can stomach water very well, eat juicy fruit!

[edit on 23-12-2007 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...;jsessionid=IJCDHH4A5S3P1QFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2003/12/28/whang28.xml

Is this pill the cure for a New Year hangover?

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 28/12/2003

It could be the ultimate New Year tonic for British drinkers. A "hangover pill" that allows people who have over-indulged to wake up the next day with a clear head is to go on sale in this country.

The pill, which was invented by Soviet scientists and used by the KGB, will be sold in Britain as RU-21, named with reference to the legal drinking age in America, where it has been selling like cold beer in a heatwave since May.

Last week, as Spirit Sciences, the California-based company that produces the pill, disclosed that it had contracted distributors in Britain to supply shops here early in the New Year, the Telegraph went to New York to discover whether drinkers found RU-21 as effective as its makers claim. The verdict was generally positive.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by TheOracle]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
LOL, that is what we all need tips to get drunk and avoid the punishment, hahaa... the water ratio thing never works for me, I always get stuck with a hardcore hangover, I hate getting drunk. laff.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
There is another morning after pill called "party fixer"

It seems to be touted as an herbal blend with a plethora of natural ingredients. .
Don't drink and drive!!!

[edit on 23-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

The best one I've ever come across - and it IS amazingly effective if you can stomach it - is a raw egg in a glass with a few dashes of Lea & Perrins. Sounds disgusting I know, (it is) - but I once had a near instant recovery with his method. A god send.

J.

Yeah you'll forget about that hangover when you got a raging case of E.Coli!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
reply to post by jimbo999

oh God...

Is this before or AFTER I >>

I'm being serious...Do I drink that concoction before I'm queasy?

lololol

~Ducky~

Heheh...in the morning - AFTER you wake up with the hangover...

Jimbo

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
More Remedies:

1. Tomato Juice/Vegetable drinks

2. Fresh fruit

The above 2 are said to help remove toxins/flush out the body and replenish the vitamins - especially Vitamin C.

3. Hair of the dog - I personally, wouldn't reccommend this one, however, others swear by it. It basically brings you back to the 'buzz' you got from the night before, yet, your body has to come 'down' after awhile. Why stave it off? You'll eventually be right back in the situation of a hangover.

Anyone have any funky meals or rituals they ascribe to? i.e. 'steak'n eggs with cabbage juice.

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

This is my consistent ritual, and I owe my success as an alcoholic to it.

Have something to eat before hand. I usually go with a burger and chips. I think all the carbs help to absorb and process the alcohol. I don't know why though, I never researched it outside of first hand experience.

Then, when I drink, I try to avoid excess sugar. No coke or 7up drinks. I stick to beer and the occasional whiskey shot. Between each drink I get an 8'oz glass of water.

Next morning:
I prefer sleep, and a glass of water by the bed. Then I wake up and have some eggs, and toast with coffee. If the hangover is there, and kicking I try to get a shot of Jamesons in the first cup of coffee, then none in the second.

That usually brings me right back.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join