It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution of the Human Race

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The Tibetans (or cultures who have lived at high altitudes for generations) have much larger lungs than most people of the world - it's not them "controlling their breathing." Their larger lung size enables them to take in more oxygen at once. As far as evolution occurring now, it has been shown that children's brains are changing shape because of the computer age. The use of gaming consoles, computers, and many other visual electronic devices are causing the brain of the young to change shape. Is it for the better? Who knows. Research is going on now.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
yes, we are evolving..into effecient ford model t factory workers; ha,ha,ha,ha...

no, but seriously; maybe...

then again we could also be devolving...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think that in our modern age that, human evolution is stagnating. Inferior genes (ie: down syndrome, anemia, parkinsens disease) can be passed to the next generation where as 300 years ago, those people would have died before they could procreate before they died. Modern medicine and technology has pretty much assured that human evolution, although it could happen, has stopped.
If we(the people of the world) would allow the weak to die when they should then, human evolution would continue. In the current state though, this is it, we're at the end.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
yes what i was saying, if a species sees an advantage or they encounter a problem (a disease or sumthing) then in all creatures genetics there ware variables, so as to keep the whole population from dieing, then those that survive will reproduce and pass on those genes to keep them safe, but still be variables in their genes as so to still protect them. I mean if we had let the influenza virus continue without a vaccine and most of the population died out, then those few that survived would reproduce and create loads of humans which are relatively much more resistant than others. but modern medicine takes care of dieing for us, so we dont develop in any physical way.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
There is almost no more "survival of the fittest" in developed countries. People can be dumb as rocks or have genetic defects and still have 6 kids because the government will pay for their needs, such as food and medical care. Thanks to welfare we will devolve into a mass of drooling idiots.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by worshipthemoon
There is almost no more "survival of the fittest" in developed countries. People can be dumb as rocks or have genetic defects and still have 6 kids because the government will pay for their needs, such as food and medical care. Thanks to welfare we will devolve into a mass of drooling idiots.

That's exactually what I've been saying. In the modern age, evolution is over.
Humans may evolve but, due to medical advance ments, it won't happen.
If something were to happen that whiped out civilization though, then we (humans) could evolve.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
.....of course we'll always evolve. Even if it's just an extra thumb in the near future, it's still evolution. It just boggles the mind to think we evolved from primates at one point in time.

......who knows mabye one day we'll evolve into large,glowing,floating blobs of mass that do everything with mental powers with no physical work needed.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeffrey
e It just boggles the mind to think we evolved from primates at one point in time.

Are you saying that we didn't evolve? Not from primates specifically but, from something?

-NTH

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
well i think we did. i mean the tools 1000 - 2000 years and more ago werent enough to stop mass death and stuff right?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by quiksilver
well i think we did. i mean the tools 1000 - 2000 years and more ago werent enough to stop mass death and stuff right?

Hell no! The weak died back then. That's the main basis for evolution. Now-a-days, the weak live and they breed and, their genes keep getting mixed in to the breeding pool. This, essentualy, stopped human evolution..

P.S. I just wanted to know what you thought about evolution.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Could we live in water? Should the human race branch off and have hydro-men and women along with other adapted people.

Why are we here, what are we doing?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Free Birth Control provided by the gov't to the less fortunate!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   

think that in our modern age that, human evolution is stagnating. Inferior genes (ie: down syndrome, anemia, parkinsens disease) can be passed to the next generation where as 300 years ago, those people would have died before they could procreate before they died. Modern medicine and technology has pretty much assured that human evolution, although it could happen, has stopped.

yes what i was saying, if a species sees an advantage or they encounter a problem (a disease or sumthing) then in all creatures genetics there ware variables, so as to keep the whole population from dieing, then those that survive will reproduce and pass on those genes to keep them safe, but still be variables in their genes as so to still protect them. I mean if we had let the influenza virus continue without a vaccine and most of the population died out, then those few that survived would reproduce and create loads of humans which are relatively much more resistant than others. but modern medicine takes care of dieing for us, so we dont develop in any physical way.

so what you guys are saying is if all the weak die, the strong can survive and use all the new lebensraum the weak left?
think i heard this somewhere...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
bit seriously, there are a ton of evolusionary "uppgrades" to the human race lying just around the corner.

for instance, nowadays, from the time infants can reach the remotecontroll, they�re flooded whith information.
if we are going to coup with this in the future, our brains must become better at sorting out irrelevant info. and storing the relevant.

and with gene manipulasion, we proboly in a near future be able to "repare" foulty genes with genetic diseases.
(dont mind my spelling I�m swedish ya)
and we dont have to become dumb idiots just becuse that spawn of satan wellfare system dont just let poor people starv and die....

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I cant believe all these people saying we are physically done evolving. Look around you, todays generation is HUGE compared to people from just one generation before us. In the last 300 years or so the average male has become something like 3 inches taller!!! That is preatty damn good on an evolutionary scale. Also, if you have ever studied genetics (most) "good" genes tend to be dominate, and so force there "presence." that is why we are beginning to grow at faster rates - over thousands of years the "tall" genes have forced the "small" genes out.

This is most likely happening to our intelligence as well, but probably at a MUCH slower rate. Also, things like glands are probably changing, making our body chem better.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
well thats not so much an evolusionary thing as a nutrision thing,
we live better now, we eat better, mostly more.
for 2-3 hundred years ago we did have the capacity to but not the resorces, so to speak...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
we will continue to evolve but not as directly as if we were forced to for the survival or humans. but neway with all this new fangled genetic stuff were bound to be able to create our own children neway. thats what ive heard some ppl doing. id prefer to create them the old fashioned way.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I suppose we are still evolving , but i personally think that evolution of the human race will not propogate through nature as it has in the past , i seriously believe with the advent of newer medical techniques , cloning and technology the human race will purposefully evolve itself within the next 200 years or so ... wanna breath underwater , im sure in the future doctors will be able to genetically change embryo's to have gills . Evolution through science is the way of the future . whether this is morally right is another story .

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think that evolution will proceed in humans to a certain extent. However, there is a problem that will potentially limit further neural upgrades pertaining to the size of the human brain - the female pelvic cavity is pretty much as wide as it's going to get without impeding the locomotion capacity of women. As hominid evolution proceeded, our brains and crainiums have grown to the point of: (A) causing childbirth to become increasingly painful to females, and (B) having human children born with incompletely fused crainial bones in order to facilitate expulsion through the birth canal without killing or crippling the woman. Perhaps we will evolve to more effectively use the cerebral mass already there, but I cannot see our brains/heads being able to further grow...

P.S. - I have partially webbed toes - perhaps this
is an evolutionary step??

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
In the future we will all have huge heads to hold usless information, pale skin from being stuck in work cubilces like livestock and elongated fingers from always using the computer keyboard.

Oh Crap! We are evolving into greys!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join