It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab comes one step closer to building artificial human brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
You cannot create an "artificial" human brain.

Humans learn from experience, from mentors at the earliest stages of life.

You can mimmick the human brain, you might be able to some transfer memories from human brain...

You cannot ever create an "artificial" human brain.

You can however create an intelligence that is completely logical, devoid of all human emotion and learning experiences.

You can create what most religous people would refer to as an "antichrist" type of intelligence.

Fire burns when played with!

[edit on 23-12-2007 by RickinVa]

[edit on 23-12-2007 by RickinVa]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
instead of the knee jerk reactions to this, there still are many exciting and positive things that can come out of this.

For all those mamby pamby anti death penalty zealots out there.. well, here's your chance to download that prisoners mind into an artificial brain and heck, launch it into space somewhere, maybe orbiting pluto. The ultimate solitary confinement.

Space travel. With the increases in robotics and bipedal walkers especially. Imagine being able to separate the mind from the body, slowing down the internal clock on the artificial brain so years pass like seconds, so when they arrive at their intended destination, the brain goes into a robot body and can explore and send the survey results back.

Some might say you can't make an artificial brain - this is only partially true. it will always be different, but someday soon, a direct replacement will be possible. Some may even say you can never make a personality, intelligence, or emotional being out of an artificial brain. I think you sell humanity short on its ability to do what it wants to do. Or are you so egotistic as to think that you are the highest form of intelligence possible, and you're screaming internally in fear of this belief being shattered?

The most chilling idea behind this might be an artificial slave race of (eventually) mostly or fully realized (albeit manufactured) beings. what drives it home is a quote from a SIM game I used to play, and it said "how can you subjugate a thing that can not feel pain?"

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

ethics---is this ethical?take a criminals mind----download it and send to pluto----wake it up when it gets there to send back info---as i was saying concerning about with the first robo/cop movies---they take a criminal brain and bottle it inside the newer version of robo/cop and wonder why it goes beserk--instead of that criminal probe brain sending back info from pluto it might end up sending back clones(terminators) of itself seeking revenge on all of us for our unethical behavior--could you really blame it/him/her for such an action ?

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In all likely hood, a human brain can be mimicked, as stated above. I also believe though you can create an artificial brain too. A computer that loves, has great inteligence, and can learn. That is a basic model of the human baby except mechanical. Only problem I have is, once machines learn to love, then you can assume they can hate too.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaos Comes
In all likely hood, a human brain can be mimicked, as stated above. I also believe though you can create an artificial brain too. A computer that loves, has great intelilgence, and can learn.

I am not so sure about the "love" portion of your above statement. Is it possible to build a machine that experiences qualia, such as love, pain, joy, concern, humor?

What would the mechanism be, do you think, which would permit AI to feel love?

If you can answer this question, you have basically solved the "mind-body" dilemma, which has plagued cognitive science since its inception. Lately, I’ve been thinking that this may be outside of what we can achieve, without discovery of some new physical law.

Please think about it, and come back with a response, if possible. I sometimes wonder whether the answer will be revealed from an unlikely source. (Maybe from you?
)

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well what is love is a more appropriate question. What makes us humans love? Is it the fact we have known someone so long? Or is it already hardwired, so to speak in our brains. Maybe scientists are over thinking it, maybe given the right intelligence a creature comes to love naturally. If we could create a machine of equal intelligence then maybe it can learn to love. Develop its own emotions. That may be just my opinion but you never know it could be right. It would be a shocker if I was.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chaos Comes

i'm in the same boat as you--i fear that we are "too smart"? for our own good and could without even realizing what we have done--create a machine/entity(frankenstein monster) that might configure its own emotions--and if it was/became real smart----smarter than us--could learn to hate us with a passion like a hungry lion--after discovering that we tried to limit its abilities and powers

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
In the movie I am Legend, a cure for cancer ends up killing most of humanity.

Should these brains come to be, and should their development reside in the hands of the elite, it will be the elite who decides what shall be done, and what shall not.

But should these brains take initiative upon their own, those that planted the seed, will recieve the just reward for their actions.

This research at any level is an abomination when at the current moment, the world has gross neglect. There is humanitarisn crisises at critical levels which are in need of assistance, yet go unrecognized.

600 Million Homeless on the planet
60 Million People that starve to death every year
6 Million of them are children
3700 Abortions US per day
126000 Abortions worldwide per day
47 Million Abortions per year...
India Alone aborts 500,000 children a year.
Infantcide, where the child is killed after birth because of sex is also rampant.

And Science wants to build a brain...

The height of arrogance and selfishness..Unbelievable

Curb your investment in Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), and IBM

Peace

[edit on 25-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

yes i agree with you--we are so blind to our own failings that we fail to see how unethical some of our ideas we envision come so far short of the mind of a G-D of love that made us---we could end up making machines that think like we do--kill this alien species---it must be our enemy--what does it want from us ?isnt this how the world is taught to look at aliens coming to establish contact with us ?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My first thought is regarding the spiritual aspect of this kind of venture. Assuming, for a moment, that God is real, and that there really is a human spirit, would that lead to perhaps a less-dramatic variety of prejudice? Man creates man (beginning with a perfected lab-grown brain, adding that to a man-made body) and once perfected, artificial humanity coexists with natural humanity.

Would my natural counterparts tend to ostracize me at gatherings, for example, if I was a 2nd-gen human? I envision the human hatred of the machine life forms in The Matrix movies . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join