It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhist Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've been meaning to create this thread for a while nw.

Anyone heard of a Buddhist Christian? I have and they are interesting people, especially how the mix the two faiths together (personally, I didn't think you could bring the two together, but some do).

Surely, you cannot be a Buddhist Christian, both ideologies are completely different to each other.

It would be interesting to get your opinions

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hmm very interest topic which I know nothing about. I will watch this topic with interest and see where it goes in time.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Something like this thread came up awhile ago, and while it may be frowned upon to re-post, my feelings on this subject are summed up with this post.

"Jesus was a buddhist in the purest sense. He was deeply in touch with the governing principle of the universe. He could do anything he wanted because he had faith he could. He meditated, he manipulated the elements of thought and material. He taught those who would care to listen.

Buddhism - All that is, is. The wheel of life that will only stop turning once you surpass yourself I.E. become perfected. (cannot be done, our minds always open themselves up to mal-intent, sin.)

Jesus - I am, I AM. The water of life that cleanses without you having to surpass yourself, because, you cannot surpass yourself when sin has already overtaken you. Come as you are he says.

I take from the buddhist practices to supplement my life here on earth, to surpass, to catch thoughts before they even enter the seat of my mind. To guard my doors from assailing desire."

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
well, from the buddhist perspective you can be a buddhist christian, but from the christian perspective you can't.

i say this as a buddhist atheist. buddhism is totally in line with anything as one of the highest mandates of buddhism is that you hold your own beliefs (or lack of)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I can't say I've heard of Buddhist Christians, but I've heard of Wiccan Christians - which totally blew me away. I think that so many people are searching for truths they can't find that they begin to combine different beliefs that fit their own ideas of what truth is....so I can say I'm not surprised to hear that there are Buddhist Christians.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yup, I have. Plenty of those in my country. Only those that practice what they profess are interesting (in the sense that they are very nice people). Most just say they are that because they are --

a. Chinese (and brought up as a Buddhist like they're forebears)
b. Want and Anglican name attached to their Chinese names (silly reason, I know)

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

A lot of people consider Buddhism a philosophy. Even if you're Christian, it shouldn't interfere with your current belief system and in fact bring you as close as you've ever been to your "true Christian ideals."

join