It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blair Converts To Catholicism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
While I don't know a whole lot about British government, I've always been under the impression that England and Scotland were essentially indepenent nations within a union much in the same was as the EU or even the UN. Both organizations can pass certain laws, yet all member nations are still considered sovereign. And I never really considered the United Nation's opinion to be all that important, particularly when it comes to being recognized as a nation. If I'm not mistaken, Taiwan isn't recognized and it seems quite clear that they're not the imaginary nation that the UN treats them to be. Also note how nations were considered nations even before the UN was formed.

So as an American it appears from my perspective that England and Scotland are indeed nations, but within a very tight union. Kind of similar to how we do things in the US with our states, but with a monarchy and a lot more complexity.

Also a couple questions;

How much influence does that Church of England legally have?

How much influence does the Church of England have in practicality?

How much influence does the monarchy have legally?

How much influence does the monarchy exercise today?

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Who cares that Tony Blair has converted to catholicism?

It was a lead story on BBC News24 yeaterday, yet the reports about Madeline McCann and Troops being killed in Iraq, were given only minimal news time.

Is Tony Blair converting really that imprtant?

Does anyone really care?

On a lighter note though, Ive always thought of England & Scotland as seperate countries.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Also a couple questions;

How much influence does that Church of England legally have?

They sit in the House of Lords

How much influence does the Church of England have in practicality?

General Synod is the legislative body of the Church of England, government can only amend not block anything from the General Synod

How much influence does the monarchy have legally?

Head of State, appoints Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers. Has a veto. Head of the Church too, but no member of the Royal House can vote in a general election.

Any influence into parliament would end up in a revolution.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I think this is important..because Blair is a nice person. I think it shows that he is a good person and that he believes in god. Any politician that comes out and becomes closer to god is great news in my book.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukmicky1980
yet the reports about Madeline McCann... were given only minimal news time.

Hate to disrupte the thread...

Sorry, but the McCann family are sick in how they've turned their missing daughter into a celebrity. When the mother was questioned, the family members went public and demanded to see the evidence in public (which they have no right to do). A suspicious bunch of people (sorry, but they are).

The McCanns should of never left their children alone.

What about the other children who are missing and we hear nothing about? oh, *coughs* I forgot, the McCanns are middle class *coughs*

I'd rather hear about Blair or a cat stuck up a tree than the McCanns trying to create a circus for sicko's.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I hear what your saying Infinite mate, and I totally agree about the missing children we dont hear about on the news, but, the story of a missing child, middle class or not, is much more worthy of news time than Tony Blairs religon, to me anyway.

sorry for the off topic guys

[edit on 12/23/2007 by ukmicky1980]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Any influence into parliament would end up in a revolution.
[edit on 23-12-2007 by infinite]

This is often stated as fact... but I am unconvinced whether it is likely or not. To me, it would seem to depend very much on the nature of the intervention and the background satisfaction with Parliament in the nation, and the whole surrounding circumstance of what was being intervened..... no?

Cheers.

Rob.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I wouldn't have placed a lot of emphasis on Tony Blair's religion either. To me it is surprising that he still has the audacity to profess preference outside of satanism for any kind of religion after the hundreds of thousands he has aided and abetted in killing. If I was Tony Blair I would sincerely hope Heaven and Hell didn't exist, otherwise he on an express train to the fiery depths of hell once he ceases to draw breath.

Well, religion .. I have no time for it . But in the ever escalating fervent fundamentalist evangelical apocalytical christian abhorrence that is everyday evermore entrenched in us foreign policy and their military ...

www.truthout.org...

[edit on 23-12-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Can the Church overrule the Government in England?

No, since England doesn't have its own government

It can't overrule the UK Government, if that's what you mean.

Why does anyone on any side want Monarchs or a Privileged Class?

It depends on who you ask. There are people who want to see Britain become a republic (Infinite, for example - I'm sure he'd be willing to go into depth about why he feels the UK should get rid of the Monarchy if you sent him a U2U), some who don't really care either way and some who want to keep the Monarch. The 'privileged class' is a different matter... upper class toffs aren't popular with anyone except themselves, really.

Can you be punished if you do not act appropriately in the presence of Royalty? If you refuse to bow before the Queen what happens to you?

Nothing. I think Tony Blair's wife, Cherie, once refused to curtsy to the Queen. Nothing happened to her. There are no laws or rules saying how someone must behave - it's custom and tradition.

Does everyone in England have equal access to the Government?

Everyone over the age of 18 can vote (unless you're in prison or deemed incapable of making a reasoned judgement) for who they want to represent them in Parliament. Whoever is elected is obliged to represent the views of all their constituents and deal with their problems regardless of whether they voted for that candidate or not.

Can any citizen who wishes become a member of the Ruling Class or is that limited to Special Families?

There isn't really a 'ruling class'. Any citizen over 18 can stand for election to the House of Commons.

Does the person who cleans the toilets in a Palace have the exact same rights as the Queen? Does this person also have the same opportunities as the Queen?

I'd actually say that a toilet cleaner at Buckingham Palace has more rights than the Queen! The Queen is constitutionally bound to what she can or can't do... and she has to be diplomatic. She can't express her feelings about a particular politician or policy - she simply has to bite her lip and go along with it whether she likes it or not. She isn't allowed to vote in elections, either - the toilet cleaner can, and can say whatever he or she likes about politicians and their policies.

In England why is the Church still allowed to be involved with the Government in the first place?

The role the Church play isn't really big enough to make much of a difference either way. The Church is allowed no more than 26 seats in the House of Lords (out of a total of 738 seats... less than 4% of the total number of members) and the House of Lords can't propose its own legislation or veto legislation. It can only delay, amend and debate bills that have been passed by the House of Commons (and any changes the House of Lords make have to be once again approved by the elected House of Commons).

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My question is why did he convert ? Perhaps he needs the idea of easy abolition for his sins, now that he can view his past deeds in a more objective light and perhaps is no longer 100% confident that he always did the proper thing.
Every mafiosi likes to think he can go to heaven, provided he is catholic off course..!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Britain has become a Catholic Country' - Telegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/12/23/nchurch123.xml

(i see that the report does not merit it's own page,
~but can be found listed 3rd below the misty/fog picture at the top~
so you will find a list of 6 links & related reports on Catholicism
in the Anglican State of Britain))

the demographics have changed over there, 25 million avowed Anglicans
and now there are 4.5 million Catholics (up from 1 million)

Here we go again--- a Muslim France vs a Catholic Britain seems to be
the trend and long term projection. but who knows.... what will happen

[edit on 23-12-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
re, 25 million avowed Anglicans
and now there are 4.5 million Catholics (up from 1 million)

Doesn't it look like perhaps Blair's policies have encouraged the 4.5 Million Catholic immigrants to move there.

That 4.5 Million catholics will turn into oh, another 1 million catholic babies ever nine months. Its a sin for them to use contraception, and apparently a sin not to be pregnant.

Here in american our new national symbol is "Pregnant mexican", with four children in tow.

They are catholic too, and it shows in the birth rates.

I suppose the church needs as many innocent children to rape as it can get a hold of.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Tony Blair has demostrated quite clearly, throughout his term in office, that he is an individual without morals. It is clear to me that this latest stunt is simply a career move, on his way to being made President of the EU.
He promised the British People a Referendum but it will never be permitted, we will have to remove the remainder of his gang from Parliament via the ballot box next year, provided of course that the Election is not rigged.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Thanks so much. I understand much better now.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Legalizer

That's probably the most Bigoted post I've seen on ATS. Congratulations

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Tony Blair Catholic now? Looks like like the plan is still running smoothly.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You must understand that this is THEIR country. And THEIR constitution says that they must be Catholic because the King or Queen is considered to be the "Defender of the Faith" and head of the Catholic church in England. Doesn't make much sense to have a non-Catholic in charge of the Catholic church.

I must say I'm curious though. Would you say the same in Israel? A non-Jew could be in charge of the Jewish orthodoxie and Prime Minister? How about in Iran? Could a non-Muslim be in charge of the mullahs?

Again, it is their culture and is not ours to agree with or disagree with.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Legalizer

Nice bigotry there. It may be a sin to use contraception, but this is the 21st century and Catholics aren't robots. MANY do not follow that rule as the FALLING birth rates prove. But it just goes to show your xenophobia and bigotry toward Catholics.

BUT, what if that WERE their end game? SO WHAT?! Jews ask other Jews to come back to Israel to keep their population up. Same with Muslim natios. Why is it that England isn't allowed to do the same?

Whatever your answer, keep it to yourself. The world has too many problems to worry about xenophobe, bigoted folks such as yourself.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nunny
You must understand that this is THEIR country. And THEIR constitution says that they must be Catholic because the King or Queen is considered to be the "Defender of the Faith" and head of the Catholic church in England. Doesn't make much sense to have a non-Catholic in charge of the Catholic church.

WTF are you on about?

I'm from the United Kingdom, its my friggin' Country. Your post makes no sense at all

I have no idea what the hell you are getting out

Defender of the Faith is term used for the Church of England, a Anglican Church. Not Catholic.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
This isn't good for the sole reason that it brings us even closer to fulfilling Biblical "end time" prophecy.

Mr. Blair is the Middle East Peace Envoy for the European Union, in fact, I'm not even sure the post existed before Blair expressed a desire to play such a role after ending his Prime Minister term.

So here we have a Charismatic man who is now Catholic(!) that is also the Middle East Peace Envoy.
[edit on 12/22/2007 by runetang]

This is exactly what I thought when I saw all the coverage this 'conversion' was getting. I'm surprised more people here haven't seen it. Blair didn't convert from Islam or Buddhism, so what's the big deal? It's only a big deal if it's prophetic news. I'm interested to see what happens next!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join