It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Forces Foil Al-Qaeda Terror Plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Saudi Forces Foil Al-Qaeda Terror Plot

www.arabnews.com

JEDDAH, 22 December 2007 — Saudi security forces have arrested an Al-Qaeda-linked group of people planning to carry out terrorist attacks during the annual pilgrimage, Al-Arabiya satellite channel reported yesterday. Informed sources told the channel that the arrests took place in different cities of the Kingdom.

“The group aimed to trouble the security of the pilgrimage,” which attracted nearly three million Muslim faithful from around the world this year, the television report said. Members of the group, whose number was unknown, were arrested “three days before the start of the Haj season”, or at the end of last week, the sources told the Dubai-based channel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.albawaba.com
www.reuters.com

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
What on earth?
Why would the so called "Islamic" AQ try to cause trouble at the pilgrimage?
If a bomb had gone off,wouldn't this have totally decimated any support for AQ in the Muslim world?
Slightly counter productive in view of their aim to get as many Muslims on board their bandwagon..
Maybe there is more to the story.
For example,if someone is having a war against AQ a bomb attack in Saudi at the time of the Hadj could destroy any support and marginalize the extremists.
Could this have been an attempted false flag attack by opponents of AQ?

www.arabnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Well the report (first link) said that they planned attacks during the Muslim pilgrimage - but it did not say they were specifically targeting Muslims, plenty of western assets in Saudi.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

None the less,I can't see how disrupting the Haj would work in their favor.
I know AQ are (supposedly)at odds with the Saudi royals,but to target the country during the time of the pilgrimage seems a bit mad,even for them.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'm sure it was a tough decision for the Saudis to make- it's well known that they bloody hate us and we're only "allies" because of all the $$$ pumped into their country for black blood.

On one hand they could have had a false flag attack on their "own" and blame the West, further gaining anti-everyone-but-islamic sentiment and more "freedom fighters"

Or they could have a bunch of dead muslims.

I guess they had to really think on that one. Decisions, decisions...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Having read this excellent thread by Jim Marrs:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It makes me wonder if the Saudi royals really do hate AQ as much as they say:

According to Posner, when attempts to pry information out of Zubaydah with drugs failed, the al Qaeda chief was flown to an Afghan facility remodeled to look like a Saudi jail cell. Two Arab American Special Forces operatives, disguised as Saudis, then confronted Zubaydah. The idea was to scare him into revealing al Qaeda secrets. Recall that al Qaeda reportedly detests the Saudi royalty.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

What on earth?
Why would the so called "Islamic" AQ try to cause trouble at the pilgrimage?
If a bomb had gone off,wouldn't this have totally decimated any support for AQ in the Muslim world?

in the contrarian viewpoint, wasn't AQ begun as a radical & extreme
branch if Islam, mostly Wahhabist, and they consider the milktoast
Muslims as despicable and not any better than the westerners...

AQ would certainly bomb fellow Muslims to convince the others that siding
with the Wahhabist-Islamics of AQ is the real & proper way to do
their own personal confrontation with the Infidel world.

look at the recent evidence of torture factories & mass graves that AQ-in-Iraq operated in the areas where American forces were not present.
AQ tortured then killed many of the indigenous Muslims to make the rest of the surviving community compliant to AQ bidding and offer no resistance...
why would a series of attacks on Hajj pilgrimages be so unthinkable?

[edit on 22-12-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dero

You're looking at this through Western goggles. It's not always about you.

Perhaps it was a false flag move by the Saudi Royals themselves to further tighten security on their own people. The normally complacent people there are getting a bit restless what with the inflation going on there because the Saudi Riyal is tied to the US Dollar. The plunging dollar isn't helping the situation.

They might simply be looking for justification to impose more draconian laws.

Some light reading:
Fatwa Against the Dollar?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I hear what you are saying,
But to me,if they attacked Saudi during the Hadj,they would probably lose a lot of support.
Unless the attacks had been aimed at western interests in Saudi,rather the the pilgrims themselves(as another member pointed out to me).
There could be an element of the Saudi elite who do want to tighten up the laws on society,like Beachcoma said.

new topics

top topics

join