It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan removes humpback whales from Antarctic hunt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Japan removes humpback whales from Antarctic hunt

msn.nzherald.co.nz

TOKYO - Japan's whaling fleet in the Antarctic will avoid killing humpback whales for now, but will press on with plans to slay 1,000 other whales by early in the New Year, a government official has said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
1,000 whales to be 'slaughtered' for scientific research?? WTF!!
How many does it take?
What scientific value will it give to the human race?

Get real Japan! If you want to do scientific research for mankind, then send up another Jaxxa space ship and give us real pictures in real time of the Lunar surface, or go and research anti gravity, or other 'energy' saving devices.
Do not kill what we have here on earth that is essential to our wellbeing as part of the eco chain.

msn.nzherald.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This number of 50 humpbacks is a blatant attempt to pacify those who oppose Japans whaling.
It won't work.
They call it "scientific" whaling for the remaining 1000-which is total crock of bull-just try going to any food market (or school) in Japan where they sell and eat this "scientific" meat.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

You are so right SS, I have been to Japan many times (both on business and as a tourist) and I have yet to assertain the benefit of slaughter of these whales for scientific purpose (other than mmmmmmn! that tastes yummi!)
Do the Japanes public know what the heck is going on in the Southern Ocean??
Do they realise what distain the rest of the world feels about these scientific expeditions? Or is it a 'saving face' situation?

I mean, think about it people! how many scientist does it take to dissect a whale? How many does it take to dissect 1000 before they go 'off'?

We all know the 'scientific' thing is a crock of blubber, but are they really that hard up for food in Japan?

The sheer bloody mindidness of the companies that send their fleets into the southern ocean (for profit!) and the government that sanctions backing up these companies, need to understand that the rest of humanity does not tolerate this slaughter.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I was really surprised when I first saw this as the whole point seemed to be purely one of alpha male political defiance "You cant tell me what to do!" rather than enjoying a food that was never [historically] really a specialty anyway. I was expecting to watch live telecasts of dieing whales and of ships blowing eachother out of the water.. along with all the media spin.

..relieved to see they've put the ruler down for now at least.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Another thing,the Japanese government say they will never stop whaling because its their tradition...Well it was traditional in the UK at one time too,but we have managed to raise above tradition and look at the bigger picture.

op by riley "alpha male political defiance "You cant tell me what to do!"

Yep,there seems to be alot of that going on as well.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
apparently it's not a long held tradition.. they had a famine once and were forced to eat whale meat. Not sure who long ago it was though.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

According to wiki:

The oldest written mention of whaling in Japanese records is from Kojiki, the oldest extant Japanese book, which was written in the eighth century. In this book whale meat was eaten by Emperor Jimmu. In Man'yōshū, the word "Whaling" (いさなとり) was frequently used in depicting the ocean or beaches.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not saying this is correct though,as anybody can edit wiki.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It was a tradition down here in NZ for many years, they still have the original 'whaling' pots in some of the coastal towns, just to remind us.

We learned more about them from just watching them (and helping the stranded ones get back to their pods) and moved on!
Now we take great delight in just watching them and we are trying to protect them from further (fatal) research.

Ask us and we will share our knowledge, without having to kill and dissect them.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by riley

According to wiki:

The oldest written mention of whaling in Japanese records is from Kojiki, the oldest extant Japanese book, which was written in the eighth century. In this book whale meat was eaten by Emperor Jimmu. In Man'yōshū, the word "Whaling" (いさなとり) was frequently used in depicting the ocean or beaches.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not saying this is correct though,as anybody can edit wiki.

[okay. looks like the ruler is out again.
]
then I guess the 'scientific research' must be real then.
I'm not surprised it says that as given that was one point they tried argueing before going for the SR angle [edited for propoganda]. I know I might be wrong but it's also possible that the emperor either spent alot of time at sea [fisherman's cookbook. you eat what you catch and that doesn't mean it was a widespread practice] or it might be possible that the japaneze [elite] just revived an old tradition to piss rival countries off after getting their arses kicked in WW2. I'm not greatly obsessed with finding the truth of it atm [maybe tommorow] ..but feel free to find another source to verify it in the meantime.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thank Goodness constant pressure by Australia, and the US ambassador was able to convince the Japanese that hunting Humpbacks was not a good idea in any way shape or form...

Peace and yay !!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

They call it "scientific" whaling for the remaining 1000-which is total crock of bull-just try going to any food market (or school) in Japan where they sell and eat this "scientific" meat.

On the scientific comment, I suggest you start by reading this: www.icrwhale.org...

Links are provided to reports to the IWC scientific committee. There is also a .pdf file containing a list of research papers which came out of the first phase of the research program, which you can head to a university library and get hard copies of via inter-library loan, if your local university has no marine biology faculty.

On the second offhand comment, I can buy whale at my local supermarket from time to time. The proceeds from the sales go to fund the research, which is something taht doesn`t get commented on all that much by the greenpeace crew.

Contrary to what a lot of people with a smattering of Japanese experience will tell you, whale is actually quite popular - but it depends on where you are in the country. Out here in the sticks, in a fishing town, I get offered whale about once a month. Sometimes more. Not sure I`d have the same experience in Tokyo. In Kyoto, I have friends who have specifically requested that I bring whale next time I come to visit, because apparently it`s hard to get there. Up here, on the other hand, some of the older crew I know refuse to eat it, because it reminds them of the difficult times during and after the occupation. I`ve heard that remark on a couple of occasions, from people who grew up in whaling families.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Whales and Dolphins are not per chance icons of global destruction, I have a weird feeling that the wholesale slaughter of the Cetian population has a more sinister background, something to do with their capacity as communicators over long distances, perhaps stellar distances, star trek made a great film about the
theme and we all know that star trek is nothing else but the truth...
My proposal is to not only to stop eating whale meat, for those of you out there who think they cannot do without it ( its pretty toxic these days ) but for the rest of us who lament about it, stop buying products and stop doing business with the countries that continue to slaughter whales and dolphins. That should include countries that do not control their fishing fleets. Its a long list I know, we could start with Russia, Norway, Iceland and Japan, the resonance from that campaign should help to right some wrongs in the global fishing industry at the same time.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Look no offence to the Japanese people...Your Governments policy on whaling is about the only major beef I have with them.

"The proceeds from the sales go to fund the research, which is something taht doesn`t get commented on all that much by the greenpeace crew. "

Doesn't that just perpetuate the slaughter then?
When will the scientific whaling stop then?
When everyone in Japan stops buying the whale meat?

Regards,SS

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Doesn't that just perpetuate the slaughter then?
When will the scientific whaling stop then?
When everyone in Japan stops buying the whale meat?

Regards,SS

No, it doesn`t perpetuate the "slaughter". It perpetuates a research program with minimal impact on whale populations (as per the multi-national scientific committee of the International Whaling Commission), and provides valuable data for conservation efforts and marine resource management (again, as per the multi-national scientific committee of the IWC)

The scientific whaling will not, in theory, stop - even with the resumption of commercial whaling.

Again, www.icrwhale.org... Have a read - there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by vox2442]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
In Australia our marine biologists use methods like satelite tracking and tagging to research whale migratory behaviour.. occasionally they take a blood sample with a syringe. probably just got different ways of 'doing things' I guess but researching an animal by killing it seems a little illogical.. hey maybe thats where the logic comes in! afterwards.. when the leftover meat from the scientific research can be "recycled" as food. waste not want not.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I will read the link vox,
Thanks

And riley,that sounds a lot more humane than to go killing these animals.
This is an alternative that I would prefer than the Japanese model.
Good going Aus!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
In Australia our marine biologists use methods like satelite tracking and tagging to research whale migratory behaviour.. occasionally they take a blood sample with a syringe. probably just got different ways of 'doing things' I guess but researching an animal by killing it seems a little illogical.. hey maybe thats where the logic comes in! afterwards.. when the leftover meat from the scientific research can be "recycled" as food. waste not want not.

There is quite a limited amount of information you can glean from whale spotting (BTW- JARPA and JARPA2 both use this method of data collection), and the Aussies have had quite limited success with blood sampling - the high point thusfar been limited to mDNA analysis, which is only building on the existing Japanese body of work.

The Australian methods cannot provide statistical information on health of prey stocks, age to sexual maturity, muscle/fat ratios to determine average health and reproductive capabilities, and a host of other research areas - all of which are essential to determine the current status of the whale populations.

The end game to all of this - and indeed the endgame to the treaty that Australia, NZ and all of the other anti-whaling nations have signed which imposed the current moratorium on whaling - is to determine when the populations of minke and other whale species have recovered to a point where the moratorium on commercial whaling can be lifted, and commercial whaling can resume with proper management of stocks.

In that respect, it`s no different from other ongoing research carried out on depleted marine resources around the world.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thank you for your input and the link Vox. Always good to hear both sides of the story.

This especially:

The end game to all of this - and indeed the endgame to the treaty that Australia, NZ and all of the other anti-whaling nations have signed which imposed the current moratorium on whaling - is to determine when the populations of minke and other whale species have recovered to a point where the moratorium on commercial whaling can be lifted, and commercial whaling can resume with proper management of stocks.

I am still concerned about the sheer numbers involved (1000) - that is way too much purely for research, in my humble opinion. That is depleating the stocks they are trying to count!

H

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A little on the ICR:

The Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR, 日本鯨類研究所 Nippon Geirui Kenkyūsho) is a Japanese privately owned, non-profit institution. It grew out of the Whale Research Institute (founded 1947) which in turn was an off-shoot of Nakabe Scientific Research Centre (founded 1941). The Whales Research Institute obtained its scientific data from commercial whaling. ICR was established in response to the 1986 IWC moratorium on all commercial whaling. It has absorbed ships, crew and equipments of a whaling company which now look after the sale of whale meat from the institute. It is often claimed to be a front for the commercial whaling industry by whaling critics. It is funded by ex-whaling organisations and the Japanese government.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

This from Article VIII of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling:

“any whales taken under these special permits shall so far as practicable be processed and the proceeds shall be dealt with in accordance with directions issued by the *Government by which the permit was granted.”

*(In this case, The Japanese Government)” but here is where it can get interesting:

Whaling critics accuse the institute of being a cover for Japan's commercial whaling industry. They point to the fact that it is funded by Kyodo Senpaku , a for-profit company that conducts the collection, processing and selling wholesale of the whale specimens on behalf of the research institute. The IRC is also subsidised by the Japanese government. Kyodo Senpaku sells roughly US$60 million worth of whale products each year.

Source: Wikipedia.

Looking into Kyodo Senaku

-- More than 10,000 whales have been killed in the past 20 years by the whaling fleet operated by Kyodo Senpaku, a company owned by Nippon Suisan, Kyokuyo and Maruha, which together sold tens of millions of cans of whale meat in Japanese supermarkets each year.
Nippon Suisan, Kyokuyo and Maruha are three of Japan's largest seafood distributors with multibillion dollar sales each year. Gorton's of Gloucester and King and Prince Seafoods are Nippon Suisan U.S. subsidiaries.

Source: www.marketwatch.com...

Is it any wonder then that the figure of 1000 whales for “research’ seems to be a little high. Yet on the other hand, 1000 whales is a whole lot of cans at the end of the day.

I'm kinda hoping that the above falls in with guidelines set out here!:
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=284020
H

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Havalon]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join