It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Study Panel Finds That CIA Withheld Tapes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   

9/11 Study Panel Finds That CIA Withheld Tapes

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — A review of classified documents by former members of the Sept. 11 commission shows that the panel made repeated and detailed requests to the Central Intelligence Agency in 2003 and 2004 for documents and other information about the interrogation of operatives of Al Qaeda, and were told by a top C.I.A. official that the agency had “produced or made available for review” everything that had been requested.
The review was conducted earlier this month after the disclosure that in November 2005, the C.I.A. destroyed videotapes documenting the interrogations of two Qaeda operatives.

A seven-page memorandum prepared by Philip D. Zelikow, the panel’s former executive director, concluded that “further investigation is needed” to determine whether the C.I.A.’s withholding of the tapes from the commission violated federal law.

In interviews this week, the two chairmen of the commission, Lee H. Hamilton and Thomas H. Kean, said their reading of the report had convinced them that the agency had made a conscious decision to impede the Sept. 11 commission’s inquiry.

Mr. Kean said the panel would provide the memorandum to the federal prosecutors and congressional investigators who are trying to determine whether the destruction of the tapes or withholding them from the courts and the commission was improper.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Posting it, as it's the lead headline in today's New York Times, but frankly, is it really news that the CIA obstructed the 9/11 Commission by withholding evidence?

The article ostensibly deals with the now-infamous al Quaeda interrogation tapes, but the most interesting part is the pile-on by the commission members, who obviously want to be on the right side of public opinion. Zelikow's response suggested the obstruction was much wider in scope than just the tapes, and co-chair Hamilton said, the Times reports, "that the C.I.A. “clearly obstructed” the commission’s investigation."

Politics as usual: shifting blame, punting about, grandstanding and posturing, but we'll never see the beef.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
pffft 9/11 was done by bin laden because the gov said so.

it wasnt a conspiracy bush is good thermasol is good for you take your hpv shots

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
More news:

CIA obstructed 9/11 investigators: report

So here we have two government entities having a very public spat over he said/she said.

Are we, as intelligent skeptics, supposed to be taking sides in this noisy little side show?

Neither party to this altercation can lay claim to any semblance of moral authority or being worthy of our trust.

IMHO, this is nothing but a lot of bluster and bravado to distract us from what's really going on or about to happen.

It's like a couple of dirty crack whores scrapping in the gutter over a piece of rock.

And while we stand there and watch, their pimps are in the background, laughing, and slipping up from behind to pick our pockets and stick a shiv in our ribs.

Bleh!

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

You have to assume that much of this is public payback to the CIA, a crude attempt at blameshifting so as not to further burden the administration with yet another "national security" scandal for the rest of its sorry excuse for a term in office.

If every American were paid $100 for each "national security" scandal that has erupted and then has been immediately suppressed (usually forgotten by the immediate appearance of the next one), there would no longer be any personal debt in this country. Enron shareholders included.

They're a gang of thugs and thieves and here you have the perfect example of honor among thieves.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
OMG a 9/11 cover up I am so Shocked what a shocker why would they cover it up.

Clearly it was was Bin LAden right?

Don't shatter my reality governemnt is good!

top topics

join