It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Details of Ancient Roman Town Uncovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   

New Details of Ancient Roman Town Uncovered

www.foxnews.com

New details of a buried ancient Roman town in England are being revealed for the first time using the latest technology.

The newly uncovered features include street grids, clustered public buildings such as temples and baths, the town's water supply system and possibly a large theater.

The Roman town of Venta Icenorum at Caistor St. Edmund in Norfolk, England, was initially discovered in 1928 when Royal Air Force craft snapped images of the site.

Due to the particularly dry summer that year, details of the Roman town stood out as parched lines in the barley fields.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Using a technique called so-called cesium vapor magnetometer that detects changes in magnetic field lines, they were able to outline the details of this 5 century Roman town in England. The technique reinforced visual outlines of the town as seen from the air. The town is somewhat unique in archeology in that most such Roman towns have been covered over by urban development. This one is in open countryside.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
If you find this sort of thing interesting, I highly recomend reading Jack Whyte's "Dream of Eagles" cycle. It's historical fiction re-telling of the story of King Arther in a plausible context.

Jack is the guy that proposed that Excalibur may have been real for the simple fact that the word makes sense accourding to how it might have been made. Ex = out, calibur = mould. Excalibur = "out of the mould", ie a reference to a long sword with a poured hilt (which would have been a technological breakthrough at the time).

Because I read those books, nothing in this article struck me as surprising. It was thinking "yup, sounds like a Roman Town, alright".

Is there a flat-topped hill nearby with a ramped earthen slope?
Find me some details on Camolud's location, then I'll be impressed.

join