It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans to Demolish Thousands of 'Poor' Homes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

New Orleans to Demolish Thousands of 'Poor' Homes

www.commondreams.org

In the face of violent protests, New Orleans City Council yesterday moved to demolish thousands of low-income houses as the city continues the agonisingly slow process or rebuilding from Hurricane Katrina.

Demolition crews will now move in to dismantle the 4,500 brick buildings that generations of poor people lived in. The outburst of violence came amid concerns that the authorities intend to reduce the numbers of predominantly poor, black people living in New Orleans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm lost for words to be honest.

Fascism strikes yet again, and on those who really need help and support from a government that should know better yet does not care.

Again, there are claims of police brutality on innocent people.

www.commondreams.org

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

I'm lost for words to be honest.

Fascism strikes yet again, and on those who really need help and support from a government that should know better yet does not care.

Again, there are claims of police brutality on innocent people.

www.commondreams.org

I think this is good news for they need to rebuild from the ground up.

What Government you talking about the State or Federal?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I do agree they need to be rebuilt somehow low income housing is being errected but the cost of rebuilding has adjusted the rent due for each unit which most people claim they can not afford.

The US can not replace housing from the 50-60's era which they lost its 2007 houses cost more thus rent goes up.

Im not one to defend the US gov. but in this case its all they can really do at this point.

Im sorry the rent can not stay as low but on the other hand these will be all modern houses.

It is LOW income housing not rich homes.Some leanency should be granted for Bush co actually doing something.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
It is a shame that the rent is going to be higher for the people living in the low income housing, but they will have a newer home to live in.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Demolition crews will now move in to dismantle the 4,500 brick buildings that generations of poor people lived in.

GENERATIONS?
This is pretty vague but I would think if generations have lived there then it's about time to rebuild "the chocolate city" anyway.

Ever lived in a home with black mold?

If sheet rock ever gets wet there is a very good chance you will get black mold. This stuff is worse than asbestos. A few years ago we had an upstairs leak that trickled down to our kitchen. When the repair folks came in to fix the walls they peeled back the wall paper and revealed stuff that looked just like the picture above.

This was extremely serious, so much so that we had to live in a hotel for about 3 months. For the entire time they were working on our home it looked like a scene from E.T., something like this:

This stuff can really damage your lungs, even worse for kids if parents smoke because then their lungs will bleed internally.

What really pisses me off is this.
I was watching a documentary about a year ago that dealt with the rebuilding after Katrina and they kept showing scenes of the locals out fishing by the river, complaining about their city not being rebuilt fast enough.

Well guess who was rebuilding the city for them?
The freakin' illegals!

The illegals were complaining that they were not getting paid and the freakin' local folk were complaining that the illegals weren't working fast enough, and all this time they just kept fishing right along.

If this isn't sh*t I don't know what is.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

“We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn’t do it, but God did.”
reply to post by Extralien

Hi Extra,
This housing is about 10 ft below sea level. The dikes holding back the sea are still unstable and won't be for many years. The hurricanes that will innundate New Orleans again can strike any time.

Rebuilding old water damaged structures is impractical due mainly to black mold but other problems as well.

New structures should be built on stilts high enough to prevent water damage in future storms certain to recur, but this is unlikely.

Why should governmental agencies be involved in rebuilding when hurricanes are highly likely to cause similar distruction like Katrina?

Something is not making sense here.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

i think that more investigation is needed here,

i recall that certain sections of the HUD housing &
Section 8 houses were actually built on top of old
(toxic) landfills. If that's the case, then raze the houses...
sink some methane collecting wells,
put layers of clay or other membrane over the former landfill
so safe modern dwellings may be built.

contrary to the loud & passionate demonstrators ideas,
the city council voted 'Unaminously" to condemn the buildings....

what do they know.... that we the public are not privy to ?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
What? What are you guys talking about? They are low income HOUSES being destroyed. Not low income HOMES. Nobody lives in them!

I mean, what, we can't destroy buildings that people don't live in anymore?

On top of that it was an UNANIMOUS vote. That IS fair right?

This whole story is just sensationslist propaganda. If you've already woke up to the NWO, you need to wake up to the WO. They attack from all side, you know?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Personally, I'm totally amazed that the "greatest" and richest nation on the planet cannot rebuild NO more than 2 yrs after it happened...

What gives with that ??

To me it seems like a complete lack of will on the part of the Federal Govt, they simply do no care...Especially the President...

Such a situation in Australia would cause so much uproar like you would not imagine...

This situation should be a national disgrace for every citizen of the US....The fact these people face having their existing houses razed two years after the event and face an even longer wait for new housing is disgusting...

Perhaps humanity should be put before profits in this case, just for once...

Please get this done ASAP...This situation should not have been allowed to become what it has, regardless of excuses....There are no reasons here, only excuses....

Fix it ASAP....The world is watching

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
Personally, I'm totally amazed that the "greatest" and richest nation on the planet cannot rebuild NO more than 2 yrs after it happened...

What gives with that ??

To me it seems like a complete lack of will on the part of the Federal Govt, they simply do no care...Especially the President...

Such a situation in Australia would cause so much uproar like you would not imagine...

If you decided to not have car insurance and you crashed your car who should pay the bill? If you decided to not have house insurance and your house is destroyed does that mean the federal Government should rebuild it?

I saw an interview of a guy that said he stopped his insurance of $50 a month because he needed to buy baby formula, and so now he feels the Government should rebuild his house. Most of those houses were what we call crack houses in they were very cheaply built 1000 or less sq ft and in really bad shape because the inhabitances only lived on welfare type checks. Insurance on a house like that would be what 15 bucks a month?

Homestead FL was wiped off the map from a hurricane and didn’t have these issues for the people there HAD insurance. The Feds have and are dumping Billions into that state for federal help, but at some point the responsibility rest with the individual.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JadePhoenix

Guys, it's not low-income housing. It's welfare housing; meaning the occupants pay literally nothing or whatever they are paying in "rent" is based on a sliding scale.

I use the term income loosely as it's based on checks from taxpayers, for which the recipients have done nothing - other than breath- to "earn" them.
President Bush has nothing, good or bad, to do with local plans rebuild New Orleans. The local government has created these plans and is executing said plans. The Bush administration is nothing more than a figure head of the people. The people being the larger country who handed (and continues to hand over) over huge sums of money to help rebuild. States are responsible for state matters, not the federal government.

Any angst should be directed at the local government. It amazes me that the staggering incompetence of the Louisiana government continues to get a pass and everything is somehow blamed on President Bush.

In the U.S. we have a representative republic, with strong state governments and a growing federal presence. What's different from other governmental examples is we believe that the local people, meaning states, know best how to govern themselves. There have been many battles (both real and figurative) fought over what we feel is a state's right to self govern and choose it's own course. What this means is, beyond the federal government making resources available (money, agencies, equipment, etc) it is up to the state to make stuff happen. It gets more convoluted because the federal government (tax payers) is demanding results and accountability.

It's a total catch 22. IMO, If the performance of the Louisiana government was honestly, objectively assessed at their job of handling this mess it would be a pure debacle. Damed if you do, damed if you don't. Meaning; objectively asses action and results your called a racist. Withhold monies because of staggering incompetence, your a racist. Demand accountability, your a racist. Back off and let things develop, or not, and your accused of poor execution and racism. Provide 11 billion dollars, and not 20 and your racist. So, IMHO, we have a situation that festers along because most outside officials are sacred to death to try and resolve the issue, much less criticize anything or draw attention to any of the myriad of things that need to be fixed.

To the OP; this is not a rant against you. If I have offended you, I apologize. This is an argument of ideas, not personal attacks.

Mark my words; history will look upon the New Orleans "rebuilding effort" as one of the largest boondoggles in history.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No problem, SlightlyAbovePar.

It's good that people can express themselves and their opinions.

I roughly remember some form of nasty comments about the relocation of a lot of New Orleans residents.

If that is so, then this would explain the long time it is taking to rebuild.

All of those affected would be getting more and more frustrated and would relocate themselves as they would want more stability for themselves.

I think the way ALL of New Orleans has been treated by the government is terrible.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
[the only reason thi9s is making any news is because its a major city.
floods happen all the time tornados too and nobody usually helps the people rebuild it just this time it happened in new orleans instead of nowhere kansas.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
HUD/Welfare housing really ticks
me off.

Bums and crack-heads.

I earn my money.

I pay my bills.

I pay taxes.

Why should some drug-afflicted
scum live off my money ?

Baffled,
Lex

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence

What gives with that ??

Bloke, I don't know where you are getting your news sources from but obviously it is extremely selective because you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said before, the locals should at least put some effort rebuilding their city and not let the illegal aliens do it, but they would much rather fish.

Fed Govt? :lol
Read this, because once again you don't know what you are talking about.

Why weren't these school buses used to evacuate the locals? .. because the local government sat on their bloody arses, that's why.

BTW, not all Katrina victims blame the President. Surprise, surprise, surprise

And the US would probably be there providing support.

There are many of Americans that are indeed in an uproar, but it is because the people that left New Orleans and were welcomed with open arms in cities like Houston have now overstayed their welcome. They now no longer plan on going back home to New Orleans.
I guess old habits are hard to break because now they are milking the government yet again this time from another state using new identities even. I won't even mention the crime rate these cities are now experiencing but you can rest assured there are folks here that are in an uproar because US tax payers were ripped off.
So, it's time to pull the plug, even in a Bush hating state like California

This situation should be a national disgrace for every citizen of the US....The fact these people face having their existing houses razed two years after the event and face an even longer wait for new housing is disgusting...

Yes, it is a disgrace that this has been allowed to continue for many generations. If I may borrow a recent post from another site regarding "these people" that best sums it up:
"3rd generation government "entitlement" recipients. Now you know what happens when 90% of a city is represented by the democratic party for 60 years.
Thankfully,the politics of New Orleans is changing AND being closely monitored and investigated by the feds"

Perhaps humanity should be put before profits in this case, just for once...

???

Please get this done ASAP...This situation should not have been allowed to become what it has, regardless of excuses....There are no reasons here, only excuses....

No excuses, just all facts blokey
Most of the world is probably watching what they want to watch and hearing what they want to hear.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've always believed that when
someone becomes third generation
welfare, sterilization should be
mandatory.

I hate my money going to people
who are going to inhale or snort it.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
I've always believed that when
someone becomes third generation
welfare, sterilization should be
mandatory.

I hate my money going to people
who are going to inhale or snort it.

-------------------
Not that I whole heartedly agree with your statement... but you make it to my "friends list" for your frankness.
-------------------

Food for thought.

I own 4 homes. Each was either a city condemned building, unsafe situation, unsecure, structurally unsound, vagrant occupied, crack house, or combination thereof when I got it.

Gutted, replumbed, rewired, reroofed, new flooring, bathrooms and kitchens... they are all now tenant occupied safe homes for $10-15/hour working Americans that cost me about $60/sqft purchase and renovation. New construction would have cost at least 80.

Importantly... they were structurally framed 80 years ago... which means they are far stronger than anything built today.

But also on the subject of food for thought... I live about an hour from new orleans. I won't even drive through that town. IMHO the greater area is polluted and corrupt beyond recourse. Unless you're looking for a good deal on shi++y drugs or some dirty a55... stay away... black spiral, debauchery... homelessness always half a step away.

More food for thought....

Why? Why is it that we call in big business and heavy machinery to do our demolition work... then we build houses out of lower grade materials with bar codes?

Do you see it? Do you see what exactly is occuring?

Codes.

The wealth of our fore fathers... legally eroded away.

And it is our own lazyness and fear.

We could dismantle our homes... strip the old boards bare and reuse them like our grandfather would have... Salvage parts and build a grand castle to house our family under.

but no.

We do nothing.

Afraid of the code inspector and the bar code cost.

We do nothing but sit in our illusory rat trap, time and flux degrading what we have until...

Legally, (and in some apparently evil way, lawfully) the "man" comes and tears down what little we have left.... just to place us in a cheap engineered code compliant box with with a new low rate mortgage, taxes, and insurance required. With all the code compliant grid ties and their appropriate fees.

An upgraged power plug that at the flick of a switch a 10 year old can now twirl the ubiquitous meter 100x faster than our grand parents ever could.

A natural gas plug
A sewer plug
A water plug
A tax plug
An insurance plug
A mortgage plug
Did I mention the trash can plug?
Or the monsantodupontconagranovartisdow plug?

You do see how the vehicle plug fits into this matrix right?

This is the face of the New Order.

You should have done something about your poop.
You should have done something about your home.
You should have done something about your water.

You knew it...

But you did nothing... and now big poppa's gonna do your kids for it.

Line in,
Line out,

Do you know what a Comprachico is?
Perhaps the legend of bonzai kittens?

I know at the very least you've watched the matrix on your teleprompter.

Is it becoming clear yet?

Its not a palestine/israel issue.
Its not a black/white issue.
Its not a iraq/coalition issue.

Its a monkey issue.

You make great pets.

..........^...........
......./......\........
...../..........\......
.../..............\....
./..................\..
/______________\

Welcome to babylon.

he says, "I hate my money going to people
who are going to inhale or snort it."

I wouldn't mind my money going to people who inhaled or snorted it if they just finally got off their ass to do something productive and creative, for the betterment of society; for God, now that their head was straight.

he says, "Why should some drug-afflicted
scum live off my money?"

And I remind him, in some small way... we are all drug-afflicted scum living off their money. Or have you unplugged yourself?

I am going back to the garden now...

*pulls plug*

Sri Oracle

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Can you try explaining that again? I think I understand what your saying. I think your saying we are all apart of the problem? Kind of a six degrees of separation argument?

I did say that tongue-in-cheek but, I really do want to know what your point was.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
These buildings are buildings that have been unoccupied for the past two years since the hurricane. In some instances, plans were made to demolish some of the projects before the hurricane. Those buildings have been the source of crime and health issues from some time now. There have been countless stories about rats, roaches, mold, asbestos, etc. Not to mention the fact that in many instances, residents of those buildings have caused much of the destruction themselves.

These buildings were never meant to provide permanent housing to anyone. "Generations" of people have lived there... well, that shouldn't have been allowed. The idea was that people who needed help would live there for free, or for little rent, until they got back on their feet and found permanent housing.

To be honest, if people were put back into these buildings, there would be protests and outrage over the living conditions! To repair these buildings, it would cost around $250,000/unit. I am not sure how many units are in each building, but at that cost the money could definitely be used to build something better and move on with recovery.

The website that was given in the original post does not tell the whole story. The reason that people were not allowed into the council chambers is that the chambers were already at capacity. Furthermore, people already in the chambers had to be ejected because they were spitting on reporters and others in attendance, and violence broke out. People were pepper sprayed after a gate (that had to be locked on account of that violence) was broken three times by protesters who refused to listen to reason.

The people who no longer live in the projects have been given ample opportunities to find other housing. Every single public housing resident has had the opportunity to use government vouchers to live for free in apartments much nicer than the projects ever were.

I invite you all to check out Times Picayune- NOLA.com to see videos, read articles and comments, etc. There was even a blogger posting a live play-by-play of the events surrounding the Council meeting.

I agree that this is a very important issue, and I am just trying to offer more sides to the story.

**Regarding the website, there has been so much coverage of this in the area lately, that you kind of have to look around for all of the related stories. I think the meeting took place on either December 19 or 20. Finding articles should be easier with the date. I apologize for not providing a more direct link. I just thought more of the story could be found this way.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

[edit on 23-12-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join