It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't take Christ out of Christmas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Nobody is forcing you to celebrate christmas if you don't want to. You are free to make your own decisions. If you don't like it, then don't celebrate it. Its that simple.

Wrong... schools celebrate Christmas, have an entire week off. I don't see any other religion getting the same treatment from a federally funded institution.

And if your children don't celebrate Christmas, then what happens? Sure, you could take them out of school for the last day before vacation, but then the other kids harass them, and they are still subjected to Christmas ads, day long Christmas songs on the radios, Christmas programming... Christmas everywhere you look.

When was the last time you saw an American city hang the Star of David on their light posts? Or instead of lighting the village Christmas tree the town board lights up the (sorry, people) Jewish candle thingy?

And that's an accepted religion!

[edit on 2007/12/21 by The Soothsayer]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Buddhasystem, I actually agree with you!! Miracles never cease do they!!!?? I think that the attempt to defer the status of Christmas to xmas, holiday, or any other descriptive words is heinous.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

Well back when I was in school ( I really hate saying that...it makes me feel old ) our two week break around the holidays was called "winter vacation". Of course that was just the school district I was in. I'm sure others might have called it christmas break or whatever.

I really don't see why anybody would complain about having a nice little hiatus during the holidays, regardless of whether or not they choose to actually celebrate christmas, hannuka, winter solstice or whatever.

I guess I can see why some would call it a "federally sanctioned" holiday. But I think it has more to do with the fact that so many people do celebrate christmas with their families that the government as well as certain employers take that into consideration and therefore give people the day off so that people can spend that time with their families. They're still not forced to embrace the religious implications though. In fact...most of my extended family is quite non-religious. But I don't hear them complaining about the "government sanctioned" holiday. Most of them gladly accept their extra day off and just use it to get drunk. Some religious holiday huh?

[edit on 12/21/2007 by Lightmare]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

I do reject god, not just yours but all of them. And thats my choice. Its america dude, its pretty great to not be force fed religion any more.

This probably the most stupid thing i have ever read. What does being atheist have to do with christ in christmas.

Then why is an atheist talking like he is an expert on Christmas
See Below

This probably the most stupid thing i have ever read.

it doesn't represent any of those things, and it hasn't for years.

But if you cant deal with my personal opinion that christianity is probably the single most brainwashing cultist religion too bad.

Oh you got that right son,, what you thiink of Christianity is none of my business so spare me the mundane platitudes and diatribe

I'm all about spreading kindness and being good to your fellow man,

pfft yeah I can see that.

sheesh.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Again a totally ridiculous post. How much more are you gonna derail this thread into your preaching about god????

Its a CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY HELLLOOOOOO???
You hear a lot what kind of music during Christmas? Who is it they celebrate?

this a discussion about the removal of christ from christmas...

Exactly! and I think kidnapping the birthday boy from his own Birthday is assinine and Thats why MY views are being posted for the same reason I have to tolerate yours.

It's because I CAN

*Mod edit: Please Note - Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 22-12-2007 by dbates]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

So whose the one thats upset??? whose posted more about me being a god hating atheist and talked down to me for being one? You preach acceptance but treat me like I'm below you because i don't share your religious beliefs? I didn't have a choice when i was a kid. I was forced to go to catholic school, forced into a religion that i want no part of. That isn't a lie no matter how much you try to twist it.

I have my opinions you have yours. Thats the greatness that is ATS.

I'm sorry to have offended you so badly that you've posted 6 time directed at me trying to prove a point, that you got across clearly in your first one.... but i'm the one with the agenda, because i'm atheist....

No, I'm not a hypocrite because i was being sincere in what i said. Nobody here is trying to piss you off, not even me. I think your being to preachy and i let you know exactly how i felt. Sorry to the rest of you for the slight derailment.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Christmas is Christmas folks. December 25th, every year. I have been around it my whole life. I have never been harmed by this.

And I don't remember being harmed by the other holidays either throughout the year. As long as we aren't celebrating something evil like "Sacrafice a child to Satan," or "Kill a virgin" day then it's fine with me.

I love giving gifts and all that. Sure, it's a bit "materialistic," so what? I'd love to give more if I were making more money. I'd love to give a child in need a sack of toys for Christmas. I'd love to give a homeless guy a a new lifestyle.

Nothing wrong with having stuff, as long as you aren't destructively obsessed with it. Damn right, I'd like to live a better life style. I've lived a poor life style most of my life. Quite frankly, it shouldn't be an acceptable way of life. Debating on whether or not you should buy a pair of pants, because you might spend too much, sucks, especially when you need a new pair.

And I like being around family, and sharing good times and a good meal with them, this time of year. It's a great time of year to share good times with friends as well. If you like drinking a little, and being silly, go for it. Celebration folks! Of course, be responsible and use common sense when drinking. If you don't like drinking or can't because of health reasons, then don't drink. Drinking certainly isn't the only way to have good times.

Stand up and be proud of what you believe. Put up your trees, decorations, symbology, whatever. Those who squawk, ignore them if you can. Don't let them bring you down.

Troy

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Religious ferver is a pendulum....for hudrends of years christians were murdered and fed to animals and the state took their property....then for hundreds of years christians tortured and murdered heretics and witches and the church took their property...
Today we dont torture anymore, we bomb them, install dictators to brutally rule over them, or fly planes into buildings, strap bombs to ourselves and kill as many as possible... we murder those that dont share the same belief as ourselves.

why is that..? when we can answer this we can solves 90% of the worlds problems.

As far as this thread... count ourselves blessed as most people in the world would fall down on their knees giving thanks for the food we throw away at end of each Holiday meal. I dont remember Christ asking anyone what their beliefs were before feeding them fish and bread, if he could do that, maybe we could overlook nativity scenes and wiccan displays, and pagans dancing around trees...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The Christian and the non Christian would do well to read this story of Jesus and his advice to a woman whose husband was a pharisee yet she was a christian.

It illustrates the stance of intolerance on both sides of of a belief and Jesus points out the err of both parties and gives a path in which both can come together without discord.

WITH three disciples Jesus went to Hebron where he tarried seven days and taught. 2 And then he went to Bethany and in the home of Lazarus he taught. 3 The evening came; the multitudes were gone, and Jesus, Lazarus, and his sisters, Martha, Ruth and Mary, were alone. 4 And Ruth was sore distressed. Her home was down in Jericho; her husband was the keeper of an inn; his name was Asher-ben. 5 Now, Asher was a Pharisee of strictest mien and thought, and he regarded Jesus with disdain. 6 And when his wife confessed her faith in Christ, he drove her from his home. 7 But Ruth resisted not; she said, If Jesus is the Christ he knows the way, and I am sure He is the Christ. 8 My husband may become enraged and slay my human form; he cannot kill the soul, and in the many mansions of my Fatherland I have a dwelling-place. 9 And Ruth told Jesus all; and then she said, What shall I do? 10 And Jesus said, Your husband is not willingly at fault; he is devout; he prays to God, our Father-God. 11 His zeal for his religion is intense; in this he is sincere; but it has driven him insane, and he believes it right to keep his home unsullied by the heresy of Christ. 12 He feels assured that he has done the will of God in driving you away. 13 Intolerance is ignorance matured. 14 The light will come to him some day, and then he will repay for all your heartaches, griefs and tears. 15 And Ruth, you must not think that you are free from blame. 16 If you had walked in wisdom's ways, and been content to hold your peace, this grief would not have come to you. 17 It takes a long, long time for light to break into the shell of prejudice, and patience is the lesson you have need to learn. 18 The constant dropping of the water wears away the hardest stone. 19 The sweet and holy incense of a godly life will melt intolerance much quicker than the hottest flame, or harest blow. 20 Just wait a little time, and then go home with sympathy and love. Talk not of Christ, nor of the kingdom of the Holy One. 21 Just live a godly life; refrain from harshness in your speech, and you will lead your husband to the light. 22 And it was so.

Christmans ornaments and decorations are not an indicator of your love for Christ, your actions and your ways are.

There are 364 other days in which honoring him seems to get lost, yet we argue over censorship and tradition?

Each of us are free to do in our home as we please according to our worship.

Jesus Christ

Intolerance is ignorance matured.

Practice love and tolerance this Holiday season...

Peace

[edit on 22-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   

When was the last time you saw an American city hang the Star of David on their light posts? Or instead of lighting the village Christmas tree the town board lights up the (sorry, people) Jewish candle thingy?

What are you talking about? USA has a bigger Christian population...I'm sure if you goto Israel they have that stuff all year round. If you go to Mecca you will see their stuff all year round. Why don't you go make a complaint about them?

Christmas should be celebrated by everyone but if you drop the traditions of Christ and just make it a shopping holiday then that is wrong.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Christmas should be celebrated by everyone but if you drop the traditions of Christ and just make it a shopping holiday then that is wrong.

Christmas should be celebrated by everyone?? Really? Is that what you meant to say? Sorry, I don't think non-Christians should have to celebrate Christmas. Let them celebrate whatever holiday they choose to, whether it's Hanukka, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa or ???

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The solstice is the more relevant event - it's a real event at least, despite the the Chrisians high-jacking this time of year

Others can carry on their belief in a mythical figure.

I would be happy not to partake in Christmas as I am not a follower - despite this I have to go along with it.

father Xmas - Jesus Christ

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I live in Ga and even here in this southern Baptist dominion we have representation of everything and not limited to nativity.

Sorry to say but Santa happen to be displayed alone side the nativity and nobody is taking him down because he is what Children dreams of.

Christmas is going no where and will be celebrated no matter.

Corporate America has put a value to the holidays to dictate consumer confident and the state of economic affairs in the nation.

This is the season that is use to measure how much money Americans have to spend.

So anybody is so naive to even think that our corporate ruled government is going to become so politically correct to get away from Christmas you just naive and have no understanding of the force that drives our nation that is linked to our economy.

Christmas and the holiday season is Big business and too much money to be tampered with

Wake up people Christmas only has a meaning for those that makes it a meaning for anybody else is spending spree season and that is how our goverment likes it.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Back on topic -

Christians are not opposed to others putting up their own displays. That's a lie put out by people who hate Christians who for some reason see a need to lie to make their point...

Through the ages Christians were always opposing to others putting up their own displays. Just take a look at what they did in Africa with the natives. They banned all the native gods, raped and killed the natives and made them their slaves. How lovingful was that?

...Christians are the new Black Race in that we are now persecuted the same way Blacks were....

Do you realize what you're saying here? I feel ashamed in your place! But hey, as a true Christian you can always invoke Luke 23:34 (KJV) "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Lets take a look at a Nativity scene. A loving Mother and Father adoring their newborn child while surrounded by others doing the same. That's it. That's all a Nativity scene is.

I don't get it. You all claim to be true Christians, but don't live up to what your God commands you?

Exodus 20:2–17

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Deuteronomy 5:6–21

8 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Please explain the discrepantie...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The birth of Jesus Christ stands at the door of Christmas for everyone and he opens the door for all who knock.

The good will, the coming to together of familys, the materialism and tradition of Christmas in whatever manner celebrated, assures the ponderance of Christ, even at a glance...

The celebration of Christmas makes avoiding the name Jesus a near impossibility...

The perfect plan...

I love it.

Marge...thanks for allowing me to see that, Great post.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions..

I know there was more to this...but it's perfect this way.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
my wife and i are Messianic zionist jews--we are not members of any religious organization--nor have we found one that wants us anyway--you can read the scriptures from beginning to end and there is nowhere you can find christmas mentioned--what you do find is that Messiah tabernacled amongst us.bullingers companion bible is probably correct---Messiah born on the first day of the feast of tabernacles ending 6 bce and circumcised on the 8th day--the last great day of the feast.the feast of tabernacles occurres in the fall between september and october .leviticus 23 lists G-Ds Holydays.schaffs christian=catholic church history says that christs mass was the idea of bishop liberius of rome that he proposed be named that day in 360 ad vulgar time---although the festivals of celebrating the days of sunworship associated with the winter solstice had been an ancient custom started by nimrod and his wife easter shortly after the flood.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by dAlen
God of the universe needs no defender.

It's not about "saving God" from a few local new age afficionados. God doesn't need that. It's about giving consideration to ordinary people who would like to see the Nativity, and admire it w/o being confronted with artefacts coming from other belief systems. It's that simple.

Well, maybe they (whomever "they" may be) don't want to be confronted with "artifacts" that belong only to the Christian religion, have you ever considered that? Why should "they" be offended so that you don't have to be? No offense, as I am very new to this board (Hi, everyone! Nice to meet all of you!) and don't want to "offend" anyone, your comment seems a little arrogant to me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join