It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't take Christ out of Christmas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Just saw this article on CNN and it resonates somewhat with what I feel. There has been a discussion here of Wiccan pentacles placed next to the Nativity scene display, just to satisfy somebody's PC ambitions. Now, I think that article addresses the issue nicely:

www.cnn.com...

This whole push to remove Christ from the Christmas season has gotten so ridiculous that it's pathetic.

Because of all the politically correct idiots, we are being encouraged to stop saying "Merry Christmas" for the more palatable "Happy Holidays." What the heck are "Seasons Greetings"? Can someone tell me what season we are greeting folks about? A Christmas tree? Oh, no! It's now a holiday tree. Any Christmas song that even remotely mentions Christ or has a religious undertone is being axed for being overtly religious. And I'm sorry, forget X-M-A-S. Malcolm X? Yes. X replacing Christ? No.

Don't get me wrong; I'm very respectful of other religions. I don't want anyone to be afraid of discussing the Jewish faith when we address Hanukkah. And we shouldn't dismiss Muslims when the annual pilgrimage to Mecca is held during December. In fact, Americans are so ignorant of other faiths that we can all learn from one another.

But this seeming backlash against Christianity is bordering on the absurd, and we should continue to remember that Jesus is the reason for the season.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's not about being PC, it's about standing up for one's constitutional rights which gives us freedom from discrimination. The Christians do not own Christmas; December is a time of celebration for many religions.

Ever stop to consider that maybe non-Christians are offended by Christian symbols being displayed constantly, while theirs are not? I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions, but don't want other religious symbols displayed - hypocrisy at its finest.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

My thoughts exactly....

December isnt even Christs birth month. Ever feel like Solstice is being trampled over? Maybe Christmas needs to become more historicly accurate and change dates.

...yes that was sarchasm wraped in truth.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
The Christians do not own Christmas

Oh, that's exactly the kind of attitude that the excellent CNN article is talking about. Just read what you wrote -- the Crhistians, to you, do not have the rights to properly celebrate Christ? What next? They should make the Sunday mass into festivals of interfaith dialogue?

Ever stop to consider that maybe non-Christians are offended by Christian symbols being displayed constantly

Ah, that's the reason for vitriol. And you presume to tutor us on tolerance.

I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions, but don't want other religious symbols displayed - hypocrisy at its finest.

Sheesh, I've seen more menorahs during all the holidays I spent over the years in NYC than I saw crosses. The buddhist temple in my old neighborhood is always decorated for holidays, and there is a huge statue brought from Hiroshima.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by buddhasystem]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Christmas wasn't even a Christian holiday to begin with. The Catholic Churce just decided to put the birth of the Christian Messiah on the same day as a popular Pagan holiday, and then intimidated people into celebrating Christmas instead of the current holiday.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Good post. I have to agree that it is stupid the way things have become. It makes me kind of upset to see a few people trying to spoil it for others.

What makes it worse is when they come out with pathetic things like "it offends some people." If something like Christmas offends them how on earth do they cope with life. I don't honestly think it offends anybody really, its just a new IN word that people are using to have a moan. Some people will try and do anything to make themselves look important.

We should be pleased to see others enjoying themselves, no matter what religion is having the party. Being offended. GIVE ME A BREAK.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I took the Christ out of my Christmas. My children have never been to church other than to witness marriages, so they only know that Dec. 25 is a holiday we exchange gifts on. I have 3 boys whom I have explained why Christmas is celebrated but that is it.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
I took the Christ out of my Christmas. My children have never been to church other than to witness marriages, so they only know that Dec. 25 is a holiday we exchange gifts on.

That's fine by any measure -- see, you had the good sense to not try and adorn the local Nativity display with the Holiday Season Atheist Gift Cards. Thank you. You are totally reasonable.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The spirit of christ was taken out of christmas a long time ago, nevermind what they call it. Material worship rules that day now, not love for your fellow man.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
watch me:

christmas ----- mas

i did it

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnbiasedObservations
The spirit of christ was taken out of christmas a long time ago, nevermind what they call it. Material worship rules that day now, not love for your fellow man.

I have to agree to some extent but for Christians it still has some meaning. Look at all the extra church services that go on at Christmas, and not forgetting the local school plays. Its a busy time of year for those who are in ministry.
Many people also take time out to give a little extra to those in need like the homeless.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by jon1]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Not sure who is taking what out of where.

Christ is still in Christmas.
Christmas isnt even when Christ was born...the date is taken from someone else who said, "who took the ___ out of __"? (fill in blank.)

Is your faith real? Then no one can take anything out of it can they?
It really is that simple. God of the universe needs no defender. "His arm is not to short that it cannot save" - nor "His ear to deaf that it cannot hear". As well, the almighty God doesn't care what letters you put in Christmas. If he cared about the politics of things then...he would have conquered the Romans to the delight of Judas and the zealots. :-)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
God of the universe needs no defender.

It's not about "saving God" from a few local new age afficionados. God doesn't need that. It's about giving consideration to ordinary people who would like to see the Nativity, and admire it w/o being confronted with artefacts coming from other belief systems. It's that simple.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

It's not about "saving God" from a few local new age afficionados. God doesn't need that. It's about giving consideration to ordinary people who would like to see the Nativity, and admire it w/o being confronted with artefacts coming from other belief systems. It's that simple.

Its this simple:
As well, the almighty God doesn't care what letters you put in Christmas. If he cared about the politics of things then...he would have conquered the Romans to the delight of Judas and the zealots. :-)

Consideration to ordinary people who would like to see artefacts from other belief systems in the nativity. Again, its politics and the above comment I wrote covers Jesus view of that clearly.

If its in their backyard then no problem, they do what they want.

Maybe I missed something...is this about someone being forced on private property to see something? If its public, then who has the right to force a nativity on everyone?

Christmas is associated with Christ, but again, its borrowed from Christians as Jesus wasnt born on the 25 of Dec year 0000.

Peace dude,

dAlen

p.s. - as a former classical christian myself, I am surprised that with a name "buddah system" you seem so adamant about this?

[edit on 21-12-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yeah Christ out of christmas is what offends you?? ridiculous.

Christ was removed from christmas and replaced by a jolly fat guy that flies a magic sleigh and drops presents off at every kids house. I forget who said already but december 25th is a pagan holiday. To this day there's still christmas trees in every ones house on christmas, why??? thats exactly what the pagans do.

These religious arguments are the most hypocritical crap that i've ever heard. We live in america folks. Not every one is christian despite what the christians would have us all believe. Not every one celebrates christmas, not every one should be expected to.

Besides that, christmas is about presents, plain and simple. Its a holliday where you can freely exchange gifts with people you care about. Jesus wasnt born in december, they didnt all sit around singing "here comes santa clause", and they sure as hell didnt get blasted off egg nog. Get with it christianity, theres more to the world then just you guys.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
It's not about being PC, it's about standing up for one's constitutional rights which gives us freedom from discrimination. The Christians do not own Christmas; December is a time of celebration for many religions.

Ever stop to consider that maybe non-Christians are offended by Christian symbols being displayed constantly, while theirs are not? I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions, but don't want other religious symbols displayed - hypocrisy at its finest.

There's a difference between letting others celebrate their holidays during December versus placing their religious artifacts into Christian displays like the Nativity. Besides, most of those other holidays aren't celebrated on Dec 25th, so they should be over with by Christmas.

"Have a Christy, Christy, Christmas" - Jim Carrey

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There is a very good program airing this month on the History Channel.

It is more than enlightening.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
These religious arguments are the most hypocritical crap that i've ever heard. We live in america folks. Not every one is christian despite what the christians would have us all believe. Not every one celebrates christmas, not every one should be expected to.

Besides that, christmas is about presents, plain and simple. Its a holliday where you can freely exchange gifts with people you care about. Jesus wasnt born in december, they didnt all sit around singing "here comes santa clause", and they sure as hell didnt get blasted off egg nog. Get with it christianity, theres more to the world then just you guys.

It doesn't matter when Jesus was born, as nobody knows for sure. Dec 25th was chosen as the day to celebrate his birth just as we have Presidents day and Columbus day irregardless of when they were born or discovered America. Christmas is a Christian holiday, just as Easter celebrates his resurrection. If there was no Christ there would never have been a Christmas holiday to come about. It's right there in the name CHRIST-mas. People may have secularized it, but to deny that Christmas has to do with the birth of Christ is ridiculous.

But you're right, not every should celebrate Christmas, and those would be non-Christians.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
In my personal opinion, I feel that Christmas represent the Christian belief of the birth of Jesus that is something that can not be taken away from any Christian believer.

What will be of Christmas without Jesus. But also is the celebration of the winter solstice and that has been celebrated since ancient times.

What will be of winter holidays without the celebration of good will and abundance.

And for the Atheist well is nothing that can be done as more than half of the population celebrate the holidays one way or the other, sorry but you are minority here now, and no offense either.

Now I also feel that is many fundamentalist out there that believe that even the holidays is a sin and a disrespect to such a holy day in their eyes and personal interpretation of strict Christian belief.

Do not get me wrong but this is actually an issue that has more to do with extremist fundamentalism than anything else, but the guilt is now been dumped and made an issue of discrimination against the meaning of Christmas, this is not about none Christians wanting to have a fair share of the holidays to celebrate, none Christians are not advocating for the elimination of Christmas just wants more tolerance. Only a few of the Atheist are complaining also no enough to actually make it an issue.

Beware of the deception been played here.

Yes Christmas has been turned into nothing more than a shopping frenzy of out of control people looking for bargain and is not to make baby Jesus happy either.

Santa a pagan idol has replaced Christmas with the spirit of bargain shopping.

That is the root of the problem, and is a movement out there that actually comes from the Christian community to no only eliminate Christmas but also any other pagan holidays in this nation.

Like I say beware of the deception been played here.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Maybe I missed something...is this about someone being forced on private property to see something? If its public, then who has the right to force a nativity on everyone?

It's not forcing anything on anyone. As I said, I won't object to the Yule displayed on major pagan festivals, in the City Hall -- at all! I won't consider it forcing the paganism on me. Understand?

Christmas is associated with Christ, but again, its borrowed from Christians as Jesus wasnt born on the 25 of Dec year 0000.

there was no Y0000.

p.s. - as a former classical christian myself, I am surprised that with a name "buddah system" you seem so adamant about this?

a) it's the name of my web site and music project
b) what can possibly surprise you about Buddha?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join