It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: The seven great "medical myths"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Thanks for the props...

Not sure what ya meant about being too hard on the guy... maybe you're getting your threads a bit mixed up and talking about the post I made in the vaccine related one?

As far as the nutrient content of chicken soup, I'm not talking from powder or out of a can, I'm talking home made... fresh chicken, home made stock, leeks, carrots, parsnips, and barely. Oh... and a crap load of garlic!

Never considered the PH angle tho. Thanks.
This bit of thread derailment has offered up something for me to consider!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
i seroisly thought 5 out of the 7 were real , now looking back it seems a bit absured espicaly the one about finger nail growth after your dead , hmmmm maybe all those people the towns folk dug up in the darkages realy were vampires.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
1. They can't actually sterilize all equipment;
2. Doctors are not as concerned with cross contamination as they should be (they're still trying to get them to wash hands between patients);

True its impossible to sterilze everything. If you have ever taken microbiology, yo can find bacteria anywhere.

3. If you die in the OR, they postpone calling it, and move you to the ICU and then pronounce - that way they don't 'tie up the OR' and can move to the next patient;

Now mind you my experience is from the pediatric side. Kids that die in the OR are taken back to the ICU to allow the parents to spend time with the child who has died. We put them in a quiet room so that they can hold the child etc. ORs do NOT have this ability at all. Im not sure how it works on the adult side, but we share OR suites.

4. Medical mistakes are routinely covered up;

I have to say perhaps. Mostly from fear of termination or litigation. However serious mistakes are pretty hard to hide.

6. Orphan drugs - they have cures for things, but due to the expense they won't develop certain drugs.

The FDA has a process to subsidize orphan drugs and there are companies that do specialize in this.

7. Receiving blood is more hazardous than most think. For one thing it has an effect of suppressing your immune system;

Do you have a link? Id like to look into this one.

10. Instruments and supplies are not infrequently left inside the body during surgery;

Its pretty rare. At least where I have worked. and they are really anal about counts in the OR. But mistakes do happen.

11. Anesthesia failure - sometimes the patient is awake and due to being paralyzed they can't tell anyone.

In kids esp small ones who cannot tell you they hurt you will see changes in herat rate and blood pressure if they are in pain. Even those who are chemically paralized

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Its amazing how folklore etc can and does become accepted gospel over time.

I have a viceral reaction when I see underdone pork. Fear of trichinosis was drilled into me by my mother and by my grandmother, yet when is the last time there were any cases?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Badge01
7. Receiving blood is more hazardous than most think. For one thing it has an effect of suppressing your immune system;

It makes logical sense if you think about it. I'm no master when it comes to biology, but even when you have matching blood types, I'm reasonable sure the body can tell that something alien has entered it. It might not reject the blood, but I'm still sure the immune system is going to have a bit of a freakout.

Aside from that, don't they usually administer immuno-suppressives when giving a major blood infusion?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Back on turkey, remember, when digestion is taking place; it can use around 70% of the body’s energy. I think being left with 30% or so will make you tired. Any time I eat too much I refer to it as “Food Coma”.

Remember parents telling you “don’t swim after you eat! You will get craps!” This is also caused by the body taking up large amounts of energy to digest.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Oh yeah.... I was gonna touch on that, but forgot.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Mythbuster's did an episode on Turkey that was rather well done.
Interestingly, dry, over done turkey has a smaller amount of Tryptophan since the cooking process breaks it down. Also, people tend to eat less when the turkey is dry... so they are less likely to feel tired.

There's a cravat, however.
Apparently some people are sensitive to Tryptophan and can suffer the effects even in small doses. This is usually a sign of a digestive or metabolic problem, however, so sleepiness after thanksgiving dinner is likely the least of their worries.

It's been suggested that eating raw turkey could contain enough Tryptophan to cause an impact on a normal person... but since it could also kill you, I don't recommend trying it.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I believe water is very important, so drinking more than 8 glasses might be very beneficial for your body.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I always thought that drinking a lot of water helped the liver and kidneys..

and the shaving hair thing I thought was true and the hair and nails thing after death...

ohh well you live and learn.

Since the topic has moved a little to food myths I wanted to ask the ATS community have you heard the:

- if you eat a cup full of apple seeds it can be highly toxic to the point of death?

and of course chocolate (or should I say cocoa) being a food that can cause euphoria in large doses due to certain chemicals effecting serotonin levels?

Cheers

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
According to what I've read about the "turkey makes you sleepy" theory...

Apparently, when you eat a meal loaded with protein and carbs, it results in a huge hit of insulin to your system to deal with all that energy that has hit you...

Apparently this insulin hit is the cause of most folks wanting to rest, because as we know, a hit of insulin tends to cause people to want to sleep...

Now...Back to the original 7 myths...

I thought 4 of them were ligit...No's 1-4

Peace

apc

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I don't know about euphoria, but chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant similar to caffeine. I think there's a thread around here somewhere documenting its other medically useful properties such as dental care.

Back on tryptophan, I wouldn't really call people sensitive to its effects "sufferers." Tryptophan is a building block for serotonin which is the happy-happy neurotransmitter. Methamphetamine based chemicals trigger, among other things, a massive release of serotonin. These specific effects of empathy and good feelings can actually be duplicated to some degree by ingesting 5-HTP (5-hydroxy-tryptophan), an over-the-counter sleep aid. But just like tryptophan from turkey, such effects are entirely dependent on the person's sensitivity and metabolism.

I wish people would stop referring to Mythbusters as a viable scientific or medical source. I've watched every episode through season 3 and most have some gross error in them. That and they purposefully fill many shows with nonsensical comedy just for sake of good TV. No arguing with watching it just for the sake of Kari Byron though.

>
loam's post on chocolate, www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

True its impossible to sterilze everything. If you have ever taken microbiology, yo can find bacteria anywhere.

You may be missing my point here. Equipment used for endoscopy and for colonoscopy has 'delicate' electronics and can not be completely sterilized. I've heard reports where one was disassembled and blood and tissue actually found inside. Of course they 'try' to clean those things but it's not possible without risking damage of the instrumentation.

Now mind you my experience is from the pediatric side. Kids that die in the OR are taken back to the ICU to allow the parents to spend time with the child who has died.

If there is an unexpected death in the OR, they have to close the room and begin an investigation, much like 'yellow taping' you see in CSI. Then an investigation is done to determine the CoD and if there was anything actionable. To forstall this, not untypically, the person is not declared in the actual OR, but the death is called in the ICU. I'm not talking about 'spending time', I'm talking about a potential criminal investigation.

4. Medical mistakes are routinely covered up;

I have to say perhaps. Mostly from fear of termination or litigation. However serious mistakes are pretty hard to hide.

You, sir are sounding very naive. There's been a whole commission on this. As a former OSHA investigator, believe me, I know. Just take this as a pointer and do your own searching. It's rampant; from big mistakes to small mistakes. Another scandal is the problem of Nurses taking patients' pain meds.

6. Orphan drugs - they have cures for things, but due to the expense they won't develop certain drugs.

The FDA has a process to subsidize orphan drugs and there are companies that do specialize in this.

Doesn't mean the problem is non-existent, now, does it?

The immunosuppressive effect of blood transfusion is very well known. Google that phrase.

Its pretty rare. At least where I have worked. and they are really anal about counts in the OR. But mistakes do happen.

Rare or not, I'm just listing things that happen.

11. Anesthesia failure - sometimes the patient is awake and due to being paralyzed they can't tell anyone.

In kids esp small ones who cannot tell you they hurt you will see changes in herat rate and blood pressure if they are in pain. Even those who are chemically paralized

Google Anesthesia failure, bro.

I sympathize with your position, since you're a nurse, and I understand the need to rationalize these. Fact is, there are very good hospitals and very good care providers, but even in these 'good' hospitals, these kinds of things exist. Is it a 'fact of life'? I don't know, but it should be better, don't you think?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Lots of people get tired after eating big meals, it's probably the body processing the massive quantities of food.. so maybe this links to turkey because ..well in the UK i only really have turkey at christmas. in the states its more of a thanksgiving thing i believe .. on both these occasions massive amounts of food are consumed.

I think this is were that 'turkey' myth has sprung up from. i recent survey in the Uk says 60% of the population will be asleep by 4:30pm on xmas day due to overeating.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ahuman

Actually you can drink too much water, imagin drinking 10 bottles of water in one sitting, bet you wont feel too hot after that

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
As far as thanksgiving dinner goes, think of all of the other foods that one consumes OTHER than turkey. Mashed potatoes, ROLLS, dressing, and every awesome dessert in the world. Now it would seem that the culprit here is........CARBS. Overeating period will make you drowsy, but when the majority of calories consumed are carbs,
oh man...Nap Time. Besides, your body burns the most energy at rest when......DIGESTING. This is why you shouldn't eat right before sleeping because you'll wake up exhausted.

As for water. Drinking too much water will cause dilute the sodium in your blood and cause an electrolyte imbalance. Try drinking 3 Gallons of water without urinating and see where that gets ya (a trip to the hospital. If you make it that far). Water intoxication is no joke and is no bueno. Go right ahead and force yourself to drink 8 glasses a day, IF YOU"RE SICK OR ELDERLY! This is where the number was derived in the first place. Most healthy people get enough water from SOLID FOODS. Oh yeah, and caffeine actually causes you to RETAIN water, not flush it. I mean, what ever happened to listening to your body. If you get thirsty.......Drink some water.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I wish people would stop referring to Mythbusters as a viable scientific or medical source.

Hehe... wasn't my intention to point to the show as a valid source. Was just a point of reference. They did bring up some interesting points that I don't see mentioned very often, but yeah... it's just entertainment with a bit more intellectual content than your standard mass-media mush.

No arguing with watching it just for the sake of Kari Byron though.

There's just something magical about a hot, geeky chick that jumps up and down with glee every time something blows up.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Most research is done on animals (generally rats) and not a lot of studies are done on primates. (it's expensive).

Not true. There is a significant amount of research being done on primates. Mostly virus and neurological study. I work at the University of Rochester medical center genetics department and I see many, many, many primates going to and from the research labs as we are on the same floor. Maybe we just get a lot of money for it.
Check out this video, if no one posted it already, about how docs still believe in medical myths.
docs still believe in medical myths
same video on abcnews.com

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahuman
I believe water is very important, so drinking more than 8 glasses might be very beneficial for your body.

Water is very important! However to much is bad for your body. To much of anything is not healthy for you. 8 glasses seems a bit much. But if one takes into consideration how much liquid they drink in a days time (soda, milk, orange juice, tea, etc) 8 glasses of water sure could be much more beneficial to you, then say two to three glasses of soda? OF course natural orange juice (with pulp) and milk are very important for the human body. But anything "excess" isnt healthy.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by West Coast]

[edit on 22-12-2007 by West Coast]

apc

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
8 glasses seems a bit much? Depends on how big the glasses are.

You can die... if you try.

I usually keep a glass full nearby and I'd say I drink at least half a gallon a day. It's easy when it's right there. I eat a lot of water rich food too. Water is just good stuff. Everyone should try it!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The eight glasses of water myth was propagated by the soft drink manufacturers who wanted to increase a demand in their 2 cent bottles of water that they sell for a dollar.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join