It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Virus Human Virus, Whats the difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I know the title might throw a few people off but hear me out.

I was discussing computer viruses and spyware with a friend of mine the other day. He mentioned that he used a best selling brand name antivirus program that came with his computer. I simply told him to get rid of it and to use a free user friendly program.

I was telling him about my experiences with viruses and malware, and my ongoing yet successful attempts to get rid of them. I was using logic and reasoning to come to this conclusion.

Let me first ask you this. What first comes to mind when the word virus is mentioned in the world of computers? A computer "hacker" working in the shadows secretly developing a deadly computer virus simultaneously evil laughing at the dirty deeds he has dealt out to thousands of people? If that is the image you get I would say that you have been duped.

Does it make any logical sense for a nerdy super geek to write a computer code to harm and infect your computer for absolutely nothing but an evil laugh?

Now this is where it just made complete sense to me. What if all, I mean ALL mainstream antivirus software were actually letting more deadly viruses in than it is stopping them? That nerdy super geek could now get a job working for this company actually developing new viruses and spyware just so the antivirus company he works for could get rid of it. Making you think " Wow, I safe!" When in actuality you are far from it.

This is true with a lot of things. Follow the money and you will find out all you need to know.

Just think about it. Major computer companies incorporate antivirus software into their machines. Are you actually buying a computer ready to be infected just so the antivirus software makers can make a buck?

Give me a break!

Is this also true for human viruses? Were they made by scientists so pharmaceutical companies can become fabulously wealthy?

I don't see an end to this.

Now I know that people are going to say the black plague wasn't a human engineered virus! But I am just going to say, WHERE WAS THE PROFIT?

Thanks for reading my thoughts

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

Just think about it. Major computer companies incorporate antivirus software into their machines. Are you actually buying a computer ready to be infected just so the antivirus software makers can make a buck?

Give me a break!

Is this also true for human viruses? Were they made by scientists so pharmaceutical companies can become fabulously wealthy?

...What? How does that correlate? While I agree that some virus within the real world may be caused by direct manipulation from those same people who make the antidotes, Im not seeing the link between that and the computer scenario.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 3_Libras

Same motive

Same scenario

people and computers are interchangeable at virus level.

How do you not see this?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
reply to post by 3_Libras

Same motive

Same scenario

people and computers are interchangeable at virus level.

How do you not see this?

Because there is no financial motive behind computer viruses? Thats why maybe... sure, you can make money all the power to you, but no I dont believe that people go out designing viruses so they'll be able to sell the new anti-virus update, especially when there is a lot of free anti-virus software, and when you take into account that most viruses are made by a whole load of losers.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by 3_Libras]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You must e kidding!

Ever heard of these companies?

McAfee

Norton

AVG

ect...

How are these companies not making money off of viruses? Please tell me?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Check out the revenues of just one company

I think you will change your mind!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I reiterate, if they can make money, all the power to them. But I dont for one second believe they are making money off "the viruses they are spreading in order to gain profits"

You can scare people all you want telling them that viruses can bite. And that seems perfectly fine. No real indication that they are helping make the viruses.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by 3_Libras]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Malicious programs and recovery from virus attacks cost Americans about $5 billion last year, Beckford said, adding that more in-depth, objective testing of these packages is essential.

redtape.msnbc.com...

Now with a 5 billion dollar pot, who is going to make the money? The people who are making the viruses? or the people getting rid of them? Easy, BOTH!!!

Also mentioned in the article: a firm created 5,500 new viruses to test the best software out there. The antivirus companies were appalled when news hit their desk, why? They say because the viruses could be leaked, but I say its because they are only good at stopping viruses that were created by this "network" of antivirus-virus collaboration.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It is interesting to think about.

It's kind of like Mob protection eh?

"You buys my software, and yous won't gets any virus"

Actually, a lot of people do create viruses, not for an evil laugh, but as creative programming experiments to see if they can pull it off - I don't think you can stereotype a virus creator - others do it for recognition from their community, or just boasting rights. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the first computer virus was created by someone for a PhD thesis. You can also find virus creation kits that help you if you have no programming experience. AV companies could also very well be creating other viruses as well.

The majority of viruses don't do much harm to your Windows system, if at all, but everyone is scared of a virus... the truth is that the majority of viruses don't do any damage at all to your Windows system.

I say Windows because there are only about 40 viruses for Linux and more or less for Macs, compared to around 32,000 for Windows.

The real story is that Microsoft and AV companies have arrangements where MS leaves security vulnerabilities in Windows/IE for a certain amount of time before patching it up via automatic update. They have to appear as if they are "fixing" something, to give the user assurance.

This allows the AV companies increase profits from prospective infections, while they pay royalties to Microsoft under the table for leaving the backdoor open. Both Microsoft and the AV companies can make money that would otherwise not be made, from the habits of "malicious programmers"

A big piece of evidence to support this is the fact that there is no virus utilities included with Windows, while the days before the internet, Microsoft DID include a program called Microsoft Anti Virus in DOS and Win 3.x ... MSAV. Curiously, the company that supplied it to MS was Central Point Software. CPS was acquired by Symantec, and became the basis for Norton AV ("The World's best selling Anti-Virus Software"), which Microsoft still has very strong ties to.

The monopoly issue is/was a red herring to cover up the more devious tactics utilized by MS. Now that the public has been informed about the MS and Monopoly issue, why would they question why there is no AV software with Windows, eh? They'll come to the simple conclusion that, "Oh, they can't do that because of that whole monopoly thing, duh." Of course, that is the cover up that has been created. Psychological manipulation of your end user/client through the media.

As for the "Free versions," these companies receive the bulk of their profit from large corporate and government contracts - not the end user. The free versions are just smoke screen.

Business as usual.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by benign.psychosis

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I agree with everything you have said.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the ATS crowd

I like this.....
"This allows the AV companies increase profits from prospective infections, while they pay royalties to Microsoft under the table for leaving the backdoor open. Both Microsoft and the AV companies can make money that would otherwise not be made, from the habits of "malicious programmers"

[edit on 21-12-2007 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by benign.psychosis
The majority of viruses don't do much harm to your Windows system, if at all, but everyone is scared of a virus... the truth is that the majority of viruses don't do any damage at all to your Windows system.

On the contrary!

I will give you an example....

I recently did a reinstall of windows xp professional on my boss's laptop computer. Within 3 hours of a freshly installed OS a powerful virus I have yet to find and destroy, has infected the computer and now is completely useless. It has infected major operating systems and has infiltrated vital components of the OS. My only option now is to reinstall windows yet again!

If this could happen in a matter of hours. How on earth can these viruses not be doing damage like this to other people?

Harmful?

Yes!

Most defiantly!

MY SECRET WEAPONS>>>NERD EYES ONLY>>>>

Make an Image of your freshly reinstalled system as an ultimate backup file. Store it on any outside means necessary.

download/Install MOZILLA FIREFOX!!!
I cant stress this enough!!!!!

download/Install NOSCRIPTS add on to your firefox browser. (this program may take a bit getting use to but trust me, its extremely beneficial to keeping your system clean)

download/install Lavasoft Ad-aware AntiVirus software. Great little free program to get rid of some of the well known malware.

Thats about it..... Pretty simple but on my personal computer I run a virus scan about once a week and all it finds is 1, count it, 1 piece of questionable malware.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Hah! I recently did a fresh install of XP Pro on MY computer, and the very first thing I did was open up IE. It went to MSN.COM and I was infected with about 7 viruses all showing up in the task manager! I also had to reinstall. I don't believe that it renders the statement false that the majority of viruses are non-harmful, it's just that the majority of viruses are not infecting peoples' systems. By non-harmful I mean turning your desktop background upside down on sunday, flipping your icons backward every 2 hours, having an ambulance go across your screen every 5 minutes. None of that stuff is harmful to the system. They are just really annoying and people want them off of the system.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
True,

I hate the battle, but victory is sooooo damn sweet!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't for one minute think the likes of Norton and co have a department for writing viruses just to sell more copys of their software. Why would they bother when thousands of people across the world do it for nothing.
Most of it is just for bragging rights amongst themselves, some people write them to extort money and fairly ineffective.

The last battle i had with a virus proved to be a long one, mainly due to the fact that i was using one of the bigger names. No matter how many times i scanned and deleted it came right on back like nothing happened. I downloaded a free virus programme and it was gone in a flash. Since this event i have talked to many people who have done exactly the same because of similar experiances.

Human and computer viruses can't really be placed together unless you believe an elite group are spreading them amongst the population for profit.I can almost believe pharmaceutical companies hold back cures so they can make more profit, but as for virus companies... I can't see them putting that much effort into covering up and risk getting caught over something that 10,000 teenagers will do for nothing.

new topics

top topics

join