It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange round feature on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Was looking through the 'PanCam true color images from Spirit and Opportunity Mars Exploration Rovers' site, and came across this odd image:

Source:
areo.info...

Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
To me probably a REALLY well rounded asteroid, is what i can think of.

UNLESS, its proof we are not alone: that is the mark of the propulsion from extraterrestrials mining Mars for.....alien....stuff, yeah.....

Other than that, i dont really know what it would be, either an asteriod or something artificial, because IMHO there is nothing in nature that can make something like that so perfect and circular.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Yes, my friend.

This is a grinding hole.
Both rovers can extend an arm that brushes off, then grinds the rock.
this arm also has a camera, and a spectrometer.

They analyze the outside of the rock, grind into it, then analyze the inside.

It's a good way to compare weathered, and un-weathered rock..

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

OOH YEs, your right! I should of looked at the other pictures on the site, because if you go to the left or right of said picture, then its the same magnification thats giving the effect.

I bet in real life, the bored hole is really small, but then the camera must of had maginification capability and zoomed up for pricision.

Thanks for clearing that up!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This is actually a microscopic picture of a grind about 1.2 inches across. The picture does make it look very big.

After The First Grind

This mosaic of four images from the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit's Microscopic Imager shows a target called "New York" on the surface of "Mazatzal." The image was acquired on sol 82 of the rover's mission after the rover ground into the left half of the target. The right side of the target has been brushed but not drilled. Later, on sol 85, the rover ground the right side to complete the hole. Each image making up this mosaic is 3 centimeters (1.2 inches across).

Source

[edit on 12/20/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yeah, you are so right about the perspective of some of the photos.

I remember, especially at the beginning of the missions..That I would gasp at these amazing "boulders" ..LOL.

Later, with other angles, and more photos, some of these things turned out to be just a few inches in size.. Some boulder, wouldn't even make good slingshot ammo..

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
OoopS!! That picture was not supposed to be that big!! I'm sorry mods. You can delete it if ya want to.
Or resize it if possible.

[edit on 12/20/2007 by Solarskye]

top topics

join