It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street Photography Now Illegal In United Kingdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
In Merry Old England, it is now illegal to take photographs. If you do so in public, the cops will consider you an active member of al-Qaeda.

heres the full story here:
www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
crazy all he was doing was taking pics of the DSS office on prospect st in hull

mad world

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That is truly horrible news. Sounds like an eastern-European or Arab or Communist country's rules, not the UK.
But it doesn't give any legal reason why it is illegal, the article is only about the authors experiences. Here in Australia you can't take photos of the underground subway stations in Melbourne, and in NYC you must carry a permit if you are using a tripod that impedes pedestrian movement.

[edit on 21/12/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I think this is an isolated incident, i live in Chester in the UK and it's a bit of a tourist trap, being a photographer myself i am often taking pictures in the streets along with hundreds of others. I have never heard of or seen any kind of problem as yet.
It must be one of those cops who's power crazy. we have enough of them over here.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

I agree jon1,this has to be an isolated incident.
I often take photos in towns and I have not heard of anyone else being treated in this way.

However,I would not be surprised if this sort of thing happens more often as the government are super paranoid control freaks of the highest order.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

hi guys .....as i posted earlier ...he was taking pics of the main DSS office on Prospect st in Hull. ...turns out this is a sensitive DSS office that holds a lot of major data.

with all the hoo-ha over lost data here in the UK it is no suprise he was stopped.

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Good point snoopyuk,
I guess there is a reason for this particular incident then,although if I was the one who had films taken,I would go down to the cop shop to try to get the photos back (by explaining that no I had no ill intent).
Does this mean that any photos of DSS offices on the web are subject to police confiscation I wonder?

Edit silly huge link

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
There are often problems taking photo's of 'sensitive' buildings and areas. You can't take photos in the underground either...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
As usual Prisonplanet have made a huge leap to the conclusion that want us to believe and have swiftly side stepped the truth ....

It seems a bit daft objecting to a DSS building being photographed, but the world can rest assured that it's perfectly legal to take photos in the street in the UK.

Unless you're taking photos of your children ......

new topics

top topics

join