It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Iraqis taking on responsibilities for their communities.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Fifteen minutes later, he had made it through checkpoints and concrete blast barriers en route to his home in al-Amil district of west Baghdad. At a makeshift barricade close to the street where he was born he greeted the sentries as friends. Then he unzipped his kit bag and pulled out a Kalashnikov. And for the next six uneventful hours he stood guard with his peers behind the straggles of barbed wire.

"I help to keep the peace so that I can row in peace, and that is my passion," said Muhammad, who asked that neither his real name nor that of his rowing club be used. "Now when I go out on the river, you can hear the birds and the hum of the generators. When I began it was only gunfire and bombs."

Muhammad is one of the thousands of young Baghdadi men to have joined neighbourhood security groups, which have mushroomed over the last year and are a crucial factor in the dramatic decline in civilian deaths. US soldiers call them "concerned local citizens"; Iraqis just call them sahwa (awakening) after the so-called Anbar awakening in western Iraq, which has seen Sunni tribal sheikhs take on foreign-led Islamists.

There are now an estimated 72,000 members in some 300 groups set up in 12 of Iraq's 18 provinces, and the numbers are growing. They are funded, but supposedly not armed, by the US military. "It is Iraq's own surge," said a western diplomat, "and it is certainly making a difference."

Kudos to those Iraqis that are taking charge of their security instead of waiting for American help to fend for their communities.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Bravo... Nice to see a moderating community spirit gaining more acceptance, it's been a long haul for everyone and with internal groups such as these maybe more order can be restored...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Really great to see Iraqi's standing up and saying "enough is enough" and keeping insurgents off of the streets.
That said, it can still get much worse now that they're all organized and armed and funded.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
While the situation is far from perfect overall I think this is a good thing . The enemy relies on local once the locals turn against the enemy he is on the back foot and on the road to defeat. Plus it great to see both sides of the ethnic fence working under the same flag.

Would this not indicate that the government of Iraq should be centralized to allow the locals who could be capable of governing running the show ?

new topics

top topics

join