It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drivers who use mobile phones face jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ouch!
That seems a bit extreme.
Are you one of those who use their phones while driving?
If so,what do you think of this?

(LondonTelegraph)-Motorists caught using a hand-held mobile phone while driving could be jailed for two years under tough new guidelines issued today by prosecutors.
Drivers who adjust sat-navs, tinker with MP3 music players such as iPods or send text messages at the wheel could also face prison sentences.[/

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/12/20/nmobile120.xml

Full story here
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/12/20/nmobile120.xml

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If it's dangerous driving and using a mobile than I guess it is a good idea - and I don't think it's much different from the current (or previous) stance on dangerous driving where distractions are a factor. I think the issue hear is that they have again specified mobile phones above other distractions (screaming kids, searching through the car for cough sweets, fiddling with sat nav and many other things) - thing is where will it stop? proving use of a mobile is fairly straight forward, where as driving while angry or tired are arguably equal to or more dangerous but very hard to prove.

Are there similar laws in other countries?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I've nearly been ran over several times by jerks on their phones.
Even so, I don't agree with jail time and I don't think you can even enforce such a thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
A simple fine should work. Drove by a woman who was pulled over and what do I see? She's yelling into her cell phone. Probably went over the middle line, or was speeding, or ran over a kid in a school zone. Not that she would notice since she was too busy talking on her cell phone. And before anyone says "Just speeding" or "Just went over the line a little" imagine driving down the road when a person goes into your lane and crashes into you or rear ends you as you go to make a turn or slow down because of the car in front of you slowed down.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
i hold fast my position that people that do not keep their vehicles maintained pose a FAR greater risk to other drivers than people that talk on the phone..

i know these rules can not be enforced but what about the dude behind you that has blown wheel cylinders? no break pads in the front and the rotors are jacked, etc etc...

i remember way back when, i pulled into a parking lot and my wheel cylinder blew. i grabbed my side cutters, cut the line on both sides and crimped it. that way, i only had front breaks.

people drive with bad master cylinders, bad front end parts like tie rods, idler arms, pitman arms...
what about people that drive around with the friggin steel belts sticking out of their tires..?

untill those problems get fixed, i am not going to worry about talking on my phone. if i feel i need to take/make a call, i will.

i was a mechanic for years and my mind would constantly be blown away at how terrible certain things were wrong with their cars and they neglected to get em fixed...

simple things like a serpentine belt. i would reco that and they would turn it down. so, one day they'll be driving, maybe in mid turn and it finally breaks and now they have NO power steering. thats dangerous.

cell phones are far, far down on the list of major distractions/problems as far as i am concerned.

top topics

join