It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Passes Gun Purchase Bill Inspired By Virginia Tech Shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Congress Passes Gun Purchase Bill Inspired By Virginia Tech Shootings

www.thebulletin.us

Washington - Congress yesterday passed a long-stalled bill inspired by the Virginia Tech shootings that would more easily flag prospective gun buyers who have documented mental health problems. The measure also would help states with the cost.

Passage by voice votes in the House and Senate came after months of negotiations between Senate Democrats and the lone Republican, Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, who had objected and delayed passage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well this wasn't discussed on the news, I guess Britney's sister's situation is more newsworthy.

This bill came to fruition on the heels of the VaTech massacre last spring when the shooter, who was mentally ill, was able to purchase the guns involved in the campus killings.

What are the chances that the President will veto this bill?

According to the article he has 10 days to act on this legislation should the Congress technically stay in session. It will become law after 10 days should no action be taken.

www.thebulletin.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/20/2007 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The President is dealing with a major university with a student body that represents the nation and international nations. So he will consider a veto, if he considers it at all, very carefully because he's not dealing with just the families and survivors of the deceased.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This bill is the reason that I cancelled my membership to the NRA. In theory it sounds like a good idea. However who is not mentally competent to purchase a gun, is it someone on prozac for depression? It is giving the government even more restriction on our second amendment right, and the NRA helped them with it. Agree with citizens owning guns or disagree, this is just another step for the govenment to extend their long reaching arms, and one more little step at squashing our rights.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunner36
However who is not mentally competent to purchase a gun, is it someone on prozac for depression?

That is what worries me as well, all it takes is one doctor's note and there goes your 2nd ammendment rights, and even if it is later proven to be an error, you have to take it to court to prove your case, to the government who caused this to happen in the first place.

More federal interference into the private lives of the citizens.

[edit on 12/20/2007 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Time is closing before this bill HR 2640 will become law, I haven't heard a peep on the TV, and after reading this article, I am not sure anything will be done to stop this from becoming law.

Senate Meets Briefly to Block Bush

...The business of blocking Bush's recess appointments was serious. It represents an institutional standoff between Congress and the president that could repeat itself during Congress' vacations for the remainder of Bush's presidency.

In such situations, pro forma sessions also could give Bush some political cover on popular legislation he doesn't want to sign. When Congress is holding pro forma sessions and is not formally adjourned, a bill sent to a president automatically becomes law 10 days after he receives it — excluding Sundays — unless he vetoes it.

That could be the fate of two bills Congress passed last week. One growing out of the Virginia Tech massacre makes it harder for people with mental illness records to buy guns. The other makes it easier for journalists and others to obtain government documents through the Freedom of Information Act. The FOIA bill, for example, would become law on New Year's Eve if not vetoed before then, according to Senate Judiciary Committee officials....
emphasis:mine

Political cover? Does this mean instead of signing it because he doesn't want to or vetoing it because it is popular he will do nothing?

Meanwhile the games continue in the Capitol with the sham pro forma sessions...

Is that what our tax dollars fund? childish behavior? Shame on the lot of them....

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm with you, JacKatMtn- A ridiculous bill by the usurpers i say.

Their intentions are probably ok, but they should refine the measure to
exempt only mental persons who actually exhibit violent, or uncontrollable
angry, threatening behavior, and have demonstrated it in the past.

As i've noticed before, this is just another example of how deep in bed
the pharmacy corporations are with congress. The doctors too, of course.
They just keep prescribing drugs (tested or not) that the pill makers
invent. God help you if you don't take the drugs, because then the cops
have legal authority to remove you by force to an institution where they
force the drugs into you!

All this force used by our government is wrong. Any good, law abiding,
hard working American citizen would agree that we should retain the right
to refuse, even resist such zealous gun-toting thug agents of the gov.

Myself, I live by the second amendment:

The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed

PERIOD !

No little kangaroo court judge can interfere with this right, the way i
see it. Except in the extreme cases of criminals who victimize innocent
people; who would be swiftly taken care of by an armed citizenry on the
spot, if our constitutional right to bear arms were really in place.

top topics

join