It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy planes to recharge by clinging to power lines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Spy planes to recharge by clinging to power lines

technology.newscientist.com

The next time you see something flapping in the breeze on an overhead power line, squint a little harder. It may not be a plastic bag or the remnants of a party balloon, but a tiny spy plane stealing power from the line to recharge its batteries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Great Idea...but of course next the manufacturer will make this available to local law enforcement....but thats ok... thats why I have my Daisy pellet gun.

technology.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

?? wouldn't these atonomous UAVs also vampire power from those ubiquitious transformers that mar the landscapes of communities or cities without underground power lines ??

finding those high voltage powerlines would more or less make those drone sky surveillance platforms very susceptacle and at the mercy of
drone-snipers patrolling the power line corridors.

interesting news item

apc

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They'll have to get a few laws changed first. As of now it is illegal to get very close to and induce current from power lines. They'll also have to work out a metering method. I'm sure the power company isn't just going to give the energy away.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

what they dont know
cant hurt them.

seriously though how are the power company going to know someones fishing their power?

apc

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well, for one thing, it's on ATS. I'm sure there's one or two Acme Power Co. employees on here!

I'll bet the execs have at the very least gotten an email of this report. Seeing as it basically lays out what to look for, it wouldn't be long for them to spot one stealing power. At which time they sue. No... if the US military is going to gnab power from US power lines, they'll most likely prepay. I bet the lawyers would have a field day with that though.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by apc]

top topics

join