It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista Help... Again!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I just bought a new laptop... Acer 5610Z, nice machine...

Here is the thing... It has a T2060 Dual-Core Processor.. 1.6ghz 533MHZ FSB 1MB L2

It came with Vista Premium...

I was reading on the net where only Vista "Ultimate" supports Dual-Core... I had some extra money so I went ahead and bought Ultimate.. Full install...

Had some down time and decided to install the Ultimate.. Not wanting to go through the hassle of looking for Acer Drivers ETC, I opted for the "Upgrade"...

Everything looked like it was going well until it all loaded.. Then tragedy...

The machine would boot and everything looked really good, then it would freeze.... Requiring a force shut down and reboot.. then freeze again....

Luck for me, I backed everything up and was able to go back but doing so I lost somethings I forgot to back up... Goofy me...

Anyway.. The questions I have are...

1. Does Premium support dual-core?
2. Should I try a clean install of ultimate?
3. If I do, will I have problems getting my Acer Drivers? (Sound Card, Video Card ETC)

I realized my mistake as soon as I checked the package on Ultimate as it really offers me not much of anything that Premium does not.. But I would like to load it so I don't feel completely useless wasting that much money...
And I don't want to waste the power of the Dual-Core if Premium is not supporting it...

Any help is appreciated....

Semper

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Semp, Vista home premium DOES support dualcore processors (2 processing units in one chip.

What it does NOT support in multi-processors-2 or more chips/sockets like in servers.

If it helps, I have an acer with dual cores and 2 gigs ram, it is my work laptop.

As far as ultimate, I would have suspected it should have found all the drivers necessary.

Since it did/does not, you should go to the Acer website and look for a complete list of drivers for your model notebook.

You can see if there are different drivers for the different versions of Vista- I doubt it.

You might also want to see if your model unit supports ulitmate vista...really!!

You might need 2 gigs of ram to run that well.......

If all else fails, contact Acer-phone or email and ask them, no seriously. Who is supposed to know their products bette than them.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thanks MM...

I contacted Acer and guess what? They charge an exorbitant fee just to talk with you about any issue.... I HATE THAT...

I have 2 gigs in RAM, but after you explaining the dual processor thing, I rendered it a moot point and installed the ultimate on my desktop instead.. It worked just fine...

I was really in the middle of the road anyway as the laptop has premium anyway and you cleared it up..

Thanks a million my friend and if you ever get to Myrtle Beach, the first one is on me...

Semper

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
HAd so much problems with Vista I went back to xp and not changing again until I have no other choice.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I like it on my laptop and so far...(Fingers crossed).. It's working splendidly on this desktop...

Pentium 4 with HT
2 Gigs of Ram

But time will tell...

Semper

top topics

join