It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blu Ray Versus HDDVD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Ok, a friend has one of those new 360 Pros for 500 dollars, more then any Blu Ray or PS3 player. Anyways, he got Ocean's 13 for 39.95. I got the same movie for 29.95 on Blu Ray. He tried to say it looked better on his TV but blah blah. Not too worried about better details, yet.

What I want to know is, who will win? I go to Wal Mart or Meijer for my movies and I see a good 3-4 sections for Blu Ray and sometimes less then 1 section for HDDVD. Also, as noted, the HDDVD have been selling for more then a Blu Ray. Also, exclusives for BR include Pirate Series, SPiderman Series, two of the biggest trilogies the past 5 years. Exclusive for HDDVD? Transformers is about the only good one. The rest are bad sophmore comedies like the gay guys fake marrige or the new one, never saw it cause I don't like fart jokes.

So more Blu Ray movies, cheaper, and more/better exclusives. Also Blu Ray players are selling better last I heard. WIth Blu Ray and PS3 sales I just don't see a way for HDDVD to win unless something major happens. Price cut, an explosion in movie selections, something.

What do you think?

Oh also, Blockbuster is Blu Ray only, and Movie Gallery rents out both but like Wal Mart and Meijer they have half a wall for Blu Ray(AVP on Blu Ray looks amazing!) and a small half section for HDDVD.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Meh for both. I don't care about Hi-Definition because I don't plan on getting a Hi-Def TV before the end of the decade and by then HardDrives will be so large and bandwidth so wide that I'll just be downloading most of my movies or streaming them from a HiDef Youtube or something.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i refuse to buy any hidef equipment until the market figures out what it wants. i'm not going to pay extra for a player that can play 2 different formats either. i'm quite satisfied with "plain old" dvd for now. maybe in the next 5 years we'll see one of these go the way of betamax and we can start buying into a standard again.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, I'm all about hi-def and getting the best quality that I can.

I picked up a very nice Hi-Def DVD player yesterday, that came with a few free HD DVD's. (300, Bourne Identity, and I already had Transformers.) I had lobbied for some time over HD and BluRay, and it was obvious that I just could not afford the BluRay at this time. I'm not going to get a cheap version of it, and be kicking myself in the ass for it down the road. It's my intentions to have a nice set up of surround sound shortly after Christmas, and if I went BluRay, that wouldn't be an option. The only BluRay DVD player available to me was $999.99, or I could of went with the PS3.. but the PS3 isn't going to leave me able to hook up a surround sound system. So for the time being, I've got HD DVD and am in the process of suiting that up with a nice surround sound system.

My next step will be BluRay, but it is probably a year or two away.

For anyone who watches a lot of television or movies, it is 100% worth the money to spend on the higher quality. I've got a 42" Plasma television, and an HD DVR. It's always drove me crazy that when I watched movies, I had to resort to the lower quality. That is no more.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

Blueray is just films that have been increased in quility
and not Realy HD

on difrence is blueray has more space then HD
but funny side Blueray didnt have most features HD did from the start

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

999.99? Holy crap where do you live? I can get a Blu Ray for 99.99-159.99!

Anyways, you have three movies, two of which are also on Blu Ray. Hope you're not a fan of Spiderman, Pirates, AVP, The Queen, Chicago, Simpsons, DIe Hard Series, so forth.

Gah, HD DVD has Transformers and that's the only movie I'm missing. The rest, meh, I don't need to see a different version of American Pie in high def.

Ok, added question, what movies would you like to see in High Def? Me? Jurassic Park Series and ID4 would be incredible for me. And of course Star Wars, man, seeing those in theater when little then seeing them decades later in high def? Awesome.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Yes, all those movies would be great in Hidef/Bluray, but the fact is that they can't truely be that format. The only way they would be is if they were originally recorded that way, otherwise they are just basically the same movie I stick into my DVD player.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
At the moment it is a full blown "format war" between HD DVDs and Blue Rays. At the moment, I can't really afford either one of the players so it really does not matter to me. I'm still using regular DVDs.

I will say this though. All evidence seems to suggest that the Blue Rays will win the "format war" over HD DVDs. Blue Ray seems to have more support from most of the major motion picture companies. And Blue Ray seems to be already more widely availible to the public than HD DVDs. I think it will be only a matter of time before Blue Ray pretty much takes over the market.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Isn't everyone really missing the point that technologically any Blu-Ray player could play HD-DVD and any HD-DVD player could play Blu-Ray with the proper Firmware? In the end, everyone will just have dual format players via firmware update. I'm speaking as an engineer of course. Isn't that obvious from the fact that there are already dual format players?

The whole format war is just a sham. Sony and Toshiba have been in bed together all along, especially with Toshiba manufacturing the CPU in the PS3! Sony has fought such "wars" before and they know the strings. Ultimately they can't gain anything from it except "placement" in the market. Meanwhile Panasonic and other Japanese brands are fizzling out as a result of this Monopolization.

C

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Blue Ray is the MPAA and RIAA 'S best friend as it is loaded with DRM and the keys need to be updated regularly...

THE PRICE IS ARTIFICALLY LOW UNTIL IT IS ESTABLISHED AND THEN THEY WILL SCREW YOU FOR MONEY every time you want to watch it....

pay per view.

Also you cannot transcode to a different format...

BLU RAY IS VERY VISTA FRIENDLY.

...in Ocean's 14 they are going to defeat a security system which uses Vista by playing a DRM blue Ray video for which they have not paid for and this will use VISTA' TILT BIT to be alerted and will cause the system to re-boot giving the thieves the chance to break in...

[edit on 1-1-2008 by esecallum]

new topics

top topics

join