It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lakota Indians Withdraw Treaties Signed With U.S.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I just watched a movie about these treaties called "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee."It was an HBO film about the Lakota indians.It was pretty sad how the gov't screwed these Native Americans out of their land.Heck, alot of the land in North Dakota was taken from the Lakota because the gold mining was good there.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

BOSTON -- The planned delivery of low-cost heating oil from Venezuela's CITGO Petroleum Corp. to Massachusetts and New York state is under way, while American Indians continue talks with CITGO to bring low-cost heating oil and gasoline to tribes.
source: findarticles.com...

yup...its always the oil.....

I don't know if it's a different way. That oil Venezuela is "giving" us actually goes through an oil company Ted Kennedy has strong ties to.

JSR

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
now I know this next external reference will be long, but, I think it highlights why the Lakota are doing this. in my opinion, they are tired of getting screwed out of their money. I love America. but this has made me feel shame.

its an excerpt from the web sight of Eouise Cobell, the attorney for the class action lawsuit against the government for royalties not paid.

The sad truth is that more than a billion trust records have been systemically destroyed. Records over several generations across all Indian country have been destroyed. And the evidence indicates that the destruction of trust records continues.

The evidence our lawyers presented to U.S. District Judge James Robertson in October shows that the problems continue. Indians have been robbed of billions - not millions - of dollars; and the malfeasance continues today

Of the approximately 500,000 current Indian Trust beneficiaries who are covered by our lawsuit (no one knows how many deceased beneficiaries are in the certified class), 268,000 will receive a statement under the government's plan. The balance of the 232,000 beneficiaries will be told nothing. As noted above, 6,600 transactions are to be reconciled. This means that no more than 1.3 percent of the certified class of plaintiffs will have any reconciliation activity in their account. If you are lucky enough to be one of the 1.3 percent of beneficiaries to have one of the transactions in your account reconciled, you should know that the transaction was not reconciled according to any professional standards used by any licensed professional anywhere in the world for any purpose.

If you are a potential recipient, you should know a few more things. You should also know that there is no assurance that the statement you receive is even relevant to your trust funds because the government has not devised a way to test whether all revenues are properly posted to your account. You should know that the government has not tested the accuracy of your contemporaneously recorded land ownership interests. You should know that the opening balance in your account was never verified. You should know that the government did not verify that the interest earnings in your account were correct. You should know that the government did not verify that your ancestor's trust assets, which you inherited, were properly and accurately transferred to you. You should know that if the government failed to collect your trust funds or deposited your trust funds in a different account that it will not be reflected in your account. And, of course, no independent certified public accountant is willing to provide you any assurance whatsoever. They know the so-called accounting work is a sham.

source: indiantrust.com...

i would want out of the deal too. my heart is with you lakota people.

gotta go do some work now.........

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So the lakota claimed sovereign nation status. News flash!, there are other indian nations governed under there own sovereign power from long ago within the United States. I know because I live on one that is successfully run.

The players are:

The four member Lakota delegation traveled to Washington D.C. culminating years of internal discussion among treaty representatives of the various Lakota communities. Delegation members included well known activist and actor Russell Means, Women of All Red Nations (WARN) founder Phyllis Young, Oglala Lakota Strong Heart Society leader Duane Martin Sr., and Garry Rowland, Leader Chief Big Foot Riders. Means, Rowland, Martin Sr. were all members of the 1973 Wounded Knee takeover

I see no names of tribal leaders in this so called delegation to washington. I do see names of AIM activist who represent who?. I question this as not the wishes of tribal leaders who represent there people.

The one flaw in this whole scenario is the landowners now holding the land at stake here will, If the United States does not answer the call, have liens filed on there land holdings occupying the five state area. This will be a long argumented federal court battle.

JSR

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

well, if they do succeed in steping away from US, then i have no doubt Lakota Energy Services inc would step right in. they would pump the oil, and US would not see a cent of it. all of the countries that were listed in the OP link would stand to make big political waves doing busniess with the lakota right under the US nose.

JSR

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
I see no names of tribal leaders in this so called delegation to washington. I do see names of AIM activist who represent who?. I question this as not the wishes of tribal leaders who represent there people.

after all of my reading and searching, ill have to agree with you here. it seems like an outside influance stirring the pot. either from canada's Lakota Energy Services inc., or other political figures form south of the boarder.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
well, if they do succeed in steping away from US, then i have no doubt Lakota Energy Services inc would step right in. they would pump the oil, and US would not see a cent of it.

And how could they manage to do that? Lakota would be landlocked, and completely isolated within the United States. How would they get the oil out?

Can't get it out by tanker, they are landlocked.

Can't get it out by land, they are surrounded by the United States

Can't get it out by air, same problem.

Because Lakota would be a seperate nation, the United States would not be under any obligation to allow Lakota-citizens, trucks, planes, etc across its borders.

Unless, of course, the Lakota made a deal with the US government, in which the US could tax the Lakota for any products, be it oil or not, transported through the United States. They could tax any pipe-line or "lease" the land the pipe-line occupies.

The US could stand to make a lot of money, and force the Lakota into compromising their beliefs right on the onset.

Of course, this scenarios stands on two huge assumptions, the Lakota actually succede (it's not going to happen) and that they can drill on their own land. Environmental interests have prevented new drilling in the US, and I doubt it would be any different in an independent Lakota.

JSR

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

assuming it would happen ( and I agree it wont ) they would not have to get the oil out. they could pump the oil, and turn it into diesel fuel on the spot. the company I work for specializes in this. then they could use it for internal consumption, and sell the excess to Venezuelan owned CITGO. or, have CITGO station for internal fuel stations.

that's just one way.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by JSR]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I think airspace, highways and railroad would remain open to use if this were to succede. the lakota and other tribes could take over ownership and foot the maintanence of all infrastructure as well as create tolls for highway use across there territory. In the lakota badlands, there is a stretch of road that has a toll to cross through. I am not sure who gets the revenue there but do know about it since traveling the route in 1990.

The reservation with sovereign powers I live on take care of there own roads and municiple functions by in place procedures as well as out sourceing needed services.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
assuming it would happen ( and I agree it wont ) they would not have to get the oil out. they could pump the oil, and turn it into diesel fuel on the spot. the company I work for specializes in this. then they could use it for internal consumption, and sell the excess to Venezuelan owned CITGO. or, have CITGO station for internal fuel stations.

Why would they sell it to CITGO for internal use? How would they sell any excess to CITGO when they can't get it out of their own territory?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

They don't particularly want you there, they are not a zoo, and they don't particularly like people robin them of their spirituality either, you know the wanabi tribe?

JSR

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Lakota Energy Services inc.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadow
I think airspace, highways and railroad would remain open to use if this were to succede...reservation with sovereign powers I live on take care of there own roads and municiple functions by in place procedures as well as out sourceing needed services.

All this is well and fine...inside the Lakota nation...but once they cross that border, they would be a foreign soil. The United States is under no obligation to allow anyone to cross their borders.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Looks like you're looking at the newest member of the Lakota Nation.

Hahaha.

Good on them!

Are you lakota? If not.

You think they are taking applications?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
This is BIG NEWS. A Universal Uprising is taking place, within the spirit.::

Really?

Well, I didn't recieve the memo

btw, is US media carrying this story on the mainheadlines at all?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

good on them
i see them getting off the sinking ship while they have a chance.
and with the US on the world stage and how its image has been tainted by the last few years this isnt supprising.

question how many states can say bugger off and become their own country?
curious

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
question how many states can say bugger off and become their own country?
curious

In theory, all States in the Union are republics (under the constitution). But I think it's more easier said than done when it comes to leaving the Union.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
this is interesting here

Bolivian Ambassador Gustavo Guzman, who attended the press conference out of solidarity, said he takes the Lakotas' declaration of independence seriously.

"We are here because the demands of indigenous people of America are our demands," Guzman said. "We have sent all the documents they presented to the embassy to our ministry of foreign affairs in Bolivia and they'll analyze everything."

hmm...it will be interesting to hear what the State Department has to say.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, the indians have a legend that one day their land will be returned to them. I have nothing bad to say about Native Americans because for one, I am about a 10th Cherokee and for two, they are the TRUE minority which has been discriminated against.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I like to hear what Venezuela has to say about this. Be interesting if Venezuela does. Probably take advanatage of discontent?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join