It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith, genetic or social?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Did you convert to your faith after reading up and analysing other faiths? Or were you born into your faith aka your parents gave you, your religion?

Is religion socialy transmitted ?

Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Socially transmitted, without a doubt I think. It is not something genetic, though unless you mean genetic as in parents teaching their children, however, this would be a social aspect anyways.

One of the reasons the bible religion, with god has spread so much, is, of course, due to the fact that in the bible it instructs parents to press the religion, beliefs of god, ect onto their children, by any means necessary.

To answer the questions, I was born into a faith, however very quickly decided to myself it was all a lie. So in the long run I finally realized which category I fall under, and as such, this would make my 'faith' a personal matter, decided based on research. Religion spreads through social ways though in my opinion, very rarely does a person discover a faith on their own, completely objective, with no "push in the right direction."

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by QuestForSafety]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Genetic as in, Born into a certain religous doctrine.

Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
No not at all. you know how many people converted through miracles?

I am only 22, and at the beggining of my 19th birthday I never heard of Jesus or knew who he was, I thought he was Gods friend 3 years ago. before 19 I went to church about 4 times in my life all before i was 9 years old so I had no clue where I was.

So I converted without anybody teaching about jesus, just awesome miracles nobody has seen through my shoes.

Hw come eerybody thinks you have to grow up in religion to believe?

I had a desire to give up sin when i had no clue what sin was, so what gave me this desire?

peace.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I used to believe that Jesus was my God, when I was 8!
Ironic being born in an eastern philosphical doctrine.

Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
To convert based on a Miracle one must still have knowlede of certain important factors, such as what a mricale is, in the religious sense, what the religion is, and such before hand, other wise they would see a miracle as a lucky event perhaps, either that or not know what religion to start following, based on their little miracle. Most likely, they would follow the religion they had been introduced to, or at least exposed to.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Did you convert to your faith after reading up and analysing other faiths? Or were you born into your faith aka your parents gave you, your religion?

Is religion socialy transmitted ?

Deep

I have no doubt that being born into a faith or at least a worldview applies to many.
However I was born and raised by an atheist mother, (no father around).
I pretty much shopped around, played with wicca for a while then adopted a Buddhist worldview, which i held to for a number of years...
Lately however I have been going through some changes and have begun leaning towards Christianity...

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
(8)?

zero deep, I didn't believe jesus was God until I was 20. I went to church around four times when i was so young I could not understand.

you see you miight of had a mommie tell you the ccommands and who jesus was but I didn't, I didn't know any commands, what commands were until i was around 19-20, I didn't read (one) page of scripture until I was 19-20, not one page, not one family member teaching me who jesus was, everytime I saw this figure I thought it was Gods friend and thats it.

These (little) miracles are stuff yu have not seen through my shoes and it woul be useless explaining them here to be ridiculed, wold it not be?

believe what you will.

peace.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It was simply the over publication of Jesus's image.
I was born in the Sikh faith, not Christian. I was young ( 8 ) my ability to reason doctrinal faiths was as limited to my ability to sit down for an hour and do my homework ( never happend ).

Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
its a combo of the two.

genetically you are born into one of the faiths or into atheism.

socially because you are influenced by the extent of or lack there of, religious views that you come in contact with....be it your parents, your own research or miracle that caused you to believe in something.

I was born as hindu and will die as one, because of my birthright.

but my upbringing has caused me to see the flaws in my own and other religions, it has also allowed me to find my own path using bricks from all the other paths.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I fell into a major life of sin and had a desire to give up sin before i knew what sin was, then the stuff starting happening for me, and ive learned alot in three years when hes the only one whos been leading my steps and teaching me.

How do you think anybody in their right mind can go from never reading one page of scrpture to being a fanatic like me in a matter of three years on (little) miracles. I guess at the end you will know why when lives are reviewed and all that is hidden will be revealed.

If you can't believe in miracles then what will yo believe in? wont your search be one endless journey of rejecting Gods steps of leadg you places for the perfect reason?

peace.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I grew up learning about God. Its hard for me to say whether your born with it or if it is acquired, since I cant remember when I was a newborn. Maybe as we grow older we lose touch with God.

Theres a story kind of like this....

A husband and wife take thier newborn baby home and their 4 yr old daughter demands to be alone with it in its new nursery. The dad, curious as to why, peeks in a crack in the door to see what shes going to do. The little girl leans over and whispers in the baby's crib, "Do you remember what God looks like? I forgot."

I thought that was kind of a cute story.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
religion is socially transmitted and its easy to see whn looking at other countrys by looking at the dominant religion for that area. in some areas where there really is a freedom of religion you dont really see a dominant religion because a lot of the time there a mix of societys in that area all with diff opinions and back rounds, and the religion is passed down. faith however is something you are born with. i do have faith in something although i was raised catholic i dont belkieve in the catholic church i perceive it more of a social gathering, just something iv noticed while going everysundau with my grandma. i think the turning point was when they threw out a homeless person. but thats off topic.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My sister and I had a similar conversation today on the base of a mountain, she's sort of like you, Faith, but not as religious and she was sort of brought up going to church.

I don't think it's genetic as in being born into a doctrine, but rather social.

I do think it depends on how much room that doctrine or faith a person was brought into allows for searching. And if there is anything to find.

I told my sister it was unlikely I would ever be Christain, or any religion vaguely similar to it. But who knows, maybe a 'miracle' will happen...it would take a lot let me tell you. In fact I can't imagine anything.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think everyone deserves to find thier own " Faith ".
Faith is very deep and personal, which transcends all known reason and logic. To per sa " Baptize " a child from birth, and teach him/her only what seems a Birth right, does not allow a child to grow spiritualy.

Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
as you are basically born into a religion. you learn it from your parents. but you dont have to believe in that religion if you dont want to

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

as you are basically born into a religion. you learn it from your parents. but you dont have to believe in that religion if you dont want to

Yes, but when does the normal child fully comprehend the theology behind religious doctrines?
Children still grow up being taught " Faith ", without reaching thier own spiritual development.

Deep

top topics

join