It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haiti UFO video as 'evidence' on Yahoo! front page

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Do these media outlets actually research before posting these things up?

It may not be much of an issue to some of you, but to me it is. If people are becoming interested in UFO's in this day and age it is nearly impossible to come across the real stories (meaning that they haven't been disproven). Instead they are bombarded with the hoax videos over and over again.

It is even true on ATS. Reoccurring viral and hoax video threads are more common than any reoccurring topics on a 'real' video.

My point is that all these media outlets are doing, intentionally or otherwise, are muddying the waters for potential interested persons in UFOlogy.

I've contacted Yahoo! and suggested they add hoax somewhere to their large frontpage article regarding the Haiti UFO video. They allude to it being real, evidence, in their disclaimer alongside the article and this, to me, is unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is exactly what i'm talking about.

I thank them for proving me right

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Wow. There's already another ATS thread started about the stupid thing just from the Yahoo exposure.

In Yahoo's defense, however, they did say "see for yourself". So it's not quite like they labelled it "evidence". They also have the link below it to definitive debunks, including ATS.

Of course, many people will ignore that link.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Regardless if this vidoe is true or not, it IS being used by the mainstream media to condition people to the possibility of UFOs. No longer are we hearing "UFOs do not exist", now it's "make up your own mind". Soon it will be "here it is".
There is a strong campaign happening now by the media to try and make people believe that UFOs exist, for reasons we will see in the very near future.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Hmmm ... I remember that video, bashed about on yotube, debunked here on ATS (the palm tree controversy). I guess yahoo! doesn't research, not only that but they've also labelled it 'top videos of 2007' (look under the image of the video).

But I guess it also good news huh? A change from the celebrity world...

Did you guys hear? Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant at 16!
Joke, well actually no, but.. I guess that whole fmaily is screwed, pun intended lol.

Anyways good thread.

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Arguing this is completely pointless, but for me, the yahoo page says:

"See for yourself if this popular video is convincing evidence of UFOs."

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

I don't think it's pointless.

The discussion is not about the video itself, that is long past. It is an obvious hoax.

The issue that needs discussing is that the media seem to be using these hoaxes lately to influence the population. Look what happened today when they posted this KNOWN hoax video without identifying it as such in the page. 2 threads alone here on ATS.

They should have let the video die it's death, but no, since it was viewed so many times they revived interest in it.

If people click the links below it discussing it's debunking then that makes it less of an issue, but that isn't what people do.As eaglewingz said, they'll click the video link, watch the video and think it to be actual footage without checking out it's background.

Another goal of this topic i started is to hope to dissuade anyone else who has first seen it today to start even more topics on it to be locked... sigh.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Did it state on yahoo! that its a fake when they click the link..or left open ended? I mean was'nt there some media of the french nutcase talking about the fake?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Yahoo is not influencing anything.

They simply stated it was a popular video for the year. Its not even in the feature section anymore.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It is mentioned in this section: potw.news.yahoo.com...

Besides the link it says (was it real?).

That is far from influencing the masses.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Once again i disagree.

Was it real? should never have been there in the first place, it is well known it was not. Placing the seed of doubt in the viewers mind isn't needed. Yes it was a popular video, but it was a hoax video and should be displayed as such, not with a question like that.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer"See for yourself if this popular video is convincing evidence of UFOs."

It looks like a homemade promo on Independence Day 2

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Maybe it's just a pic of the first video they found? Put it up to entice exactly what this thread is for. To stir things up a bit? Imagine the boardroom meeting:

"What do we put on our main page today? Another Car? Celeb maybe?"
"Nah, let's stir things up a little, stick a UFO up there!"
"Great! But, where do we get a UFO video? Oh no!"
"GOOGLE IT!
"

It makes no difference if it's real or not, the believers know it isn't, and it provokes the non-believers to research for themselves, thus widening the whole interest spectrum. In the long run, it's a good thing. Brings publicity and credibility to an otherwise hushed subject

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Personally I'd rather watch Britney Spears new video she may be messed up but she's hot in that!
maybe shes an alien!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
It makes no difference if it's real or not, the believers know it isn't, and it provokes the non-believers to research for themselves, thus widening the whole interest spectrum. In the long run, it's a good thing. Brings publicity and credibility to an otherwise hushed subject

I disagree. In the long run, its a very, very bad thing because it make the entire UFO field credibility suffer.

An overwhelming majority of UFO movies are considered fakes and hoaxes. What do you do when a new movie comes along? You base it on previous experience. And you almost immiedietly dismiss it, because you KNOW there is a much higher chance its a fake than its real.

Every new article of UFOs that include KNOWN fakes (or those where a majority does not consider it to be real due to various evidence) only add to this.

As an example, I'm seen movies with a few interesting pointers and pictures/videos on interesting UFOs... Then the rest of it regurgitate hoaxes, fakes that's been discussed over and over again and disproven a hundred times. That makes me disregard the entire movie as ridiculous.

So in short, a bushel with 1 rotten apple and 99 good apples ones aint to bad.
A bushel with 99 rotten apples and 1 good apple you may as well throw out.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by merka]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I completely agree. There's not much to see here, really no valid reason to even extrapolate something out of Yahoo posting this nonsense. It's not like they're claiming this is absolute proof and is undeniable. Maybe they should do some more research... but put yourself into their shoes, would you rather post another video of the same old fuzzy orb being digitally zoomed upon? or something extremely flashy and really eye catching?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
does anyone know where I can download a high quality version of this Haiti ufo video? Everything is streaming low quality, low-res flash.

If anyone has a high quality version and they can temporarily host it somewhere i'd be grateful. Regards.

join