It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU to Fine Car Makers on CO2 Emissions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
And it doesn't really encourage car makers to go with alternative fuels,which is what I think they should be moving towards.

That's the very reason I don't agree with it. It won't help wean the people off the oil addiction, so there won't be much change in the global scene that really matters -- geopolitics.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluess
There are several good reasons to cut fossil fuel car exhausts.

CO2 is not the only thing comming out of your tailpipe!

Here are some of the more bad byproducts from them:

Hydrocarbons:

Nitrogen oxides (NOx):

Carbon monoxide (CO):

I'm all for reducing pollution, but that is not why this is being done. They are explicitly targeting CO2 because of its alleged link with global warming (but that is another thread entirely).

These above byproducts are directly related to the level of CO2 emission.

Are they?? As fuel efficiency increases, the level of NOx increases, but IU don't see a levy on NOx, or any penalties being incurred for not reducing their levels.

130 g/km is very low indeed. Here are some CO2 figures for cars, and their engine sizes. These are the oine I just know about, but there are many other examples:

* Peugeot 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo = 103 g/km. Eng = 3 cyl. 1.0 L. Seats 4, with no luggage space.

* Peugeot 206 = 165 g/km. Eng = 4 cyl. 1.4 L. Seats 5, a bit of luggage space.

No point listing other vehicles - I think you see the immediate problem. The 206 BTW can do 45 MPG easily. The 107/C1/Aygo (same car different badges) averages 50 MPG but is very impractical.

* Peugeot 407 = 190 g/km. Eng = 6 cyl. 3.0 L diesel.

Average gas milage = 60 MPG.

So............ which car would you buy?? I'd buy the 407 - more fuel economic than the others (including the 107/C1/Aygo). Small does not mean efficient, even if its CO2 output is higher.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join