It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Is Named Time 'Person of the Year'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Putin Is Named Time 'Person of the Year'

www.breitbart.com

NEW YORK (AP) - Time magazine on Wednesday named Russian President Vladimir Putin its 2007 "Person of the Year." The nod went to the Russian leader because of Putin's "extraordinary feat of leadership in taking a country that was in chaos and bringing it stability," said Richard Stengel, Time's managing editor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I about fell off of my chair when I read this headline. I'm not to sure I agree with Time magazine's choice.
As the article states. " He's the new czar of Russia". And he isn't one to really care about things, such as civil liberties. After all he is ex-KGB.
So what who would your choice be for Time 'person of the year'?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'd definitely like to see Ron Paul make it on the cover of the "Person Of The Year".

Just kidding.

But yeah, I have heard about this news. I've no comment. He probably deserves it as he probably worked a lot for Russia and such, so it can be reasonable enough.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hitler could have been chosen the Person of the Year, as per the Time logic. After all, he took a weak country and turned it around into a powerful killing machine. Sheesh.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Time Magazine isn't influenced by US Media as much as the population is.
The propaganda you find in US media on the TV which makes you think Putin is "Evil" is just that, propaganda.

Want proof? Ask yourself, what made Putin look "evil" to you... then ask yourself, did the TV provide you with any facts that actually back that up? or did they simply say catch phrases like "Ex KGB", "Former Soviet" etc... ?

I mean, there are plenty of nice people in the FBI, and that hasn't become a curse on someones name... not quite yet anyhow. Maybe one day in the future, having worked for the US government might be reason for discrimination... but not yet.
So why should it be for the former soviet government? It doesn't make sense for that to be a put down... yeah, he worked for the government... and?

Having said that though, I also wouldn't place much in Time Magazines ability to declare a person of the year...

For those who read Time Magazine, a year ago, Time Magazines Person Of The Year was "You".

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Hitler was person of the year in 1938.

Person of the year isn't about picking someone who we adore. It is given to the person that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year."

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Umbrax is absolutely correct, Hitler was man of the year. I believe Stalin was also Time's person of the year while Osama Bin Laden was nominated for 2001. When they choose the person of the year they do it based on influence, and they include both positive and negative. So whether or not one agrees with Putin what's important in this case is whether or not he had influence, which I think is hard to dispute.

So I'd say that Putin is a logical choice for Time's person of the year, and it's a hell of a lot better than that cop-out they pulled last year.

[edit on 12/19/2007 by cyberdude78]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
He is person of the year because he's able to stay in power by helping elect one of his close friends as the new President so Putin hmself can be appointed Prime Minister?? Wow. Nothing going on there.

A few other people did a lot more and were worthy for the "Person of the Year" tribute...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I agree with most of the logic being used here as to why Time magazine chose Putin . But based on the criteria of influence in the world as being discussed, I suppose one could just as easily have picked President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Don't get me wrong. I have no love for the guy. But IMO for better or worsehe has been a greater influence in the world this year than Putin.
I suppose it's not the end of the world if Putin made Time 'person of the year' . Just personally thought it was, shall we say a suprise

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Already being discussed here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join