It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congrats to the 110th Republican Senate Minority on Their 62nd Fillabuster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

WASHINGTON—The Republican Senate minority today filibustered an omnibus budget bill, setting a modern-day record for blocking the most legislation during a congressional session. A new report released today by the Campaign for America's Future details the 62 times conservatives have used the filibuster to block legislation (or force modification of bills) in the first session of the 110th Congress.

link

and people wonder why the Democrats are getting so little done. Was it not just a few months back that I recall hearing the Republicans crying about Filibusters?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The less that Congress does, the better. Especially a Congress led by Miss America Pelosi and Dingy Harry Reid.

How many of the 62 filibusters had to do with preventing defeat in Iraq? At least 40 for sure.

This Congress has lower approval ratings than Bush for a reason.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

How many of the 62 filibusters had to do with preventing defeat in Iraq? At least 40 for sure.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by RRconservative]

really? where would one find the information proving that?

edit: wow, i was missing and entire word...

[edit on 19-12-2007 by Animal]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

So far in this first year of the 110th Congress, there have been 72 motions to stop filibusters, most on the Iraq war

If you trust the NY Times, most has got to mean more than 50%. 50% of 72 is 36, and 36 is close to 40.

So to the Republicans...Keep up the good work!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

i think this article is pointing to something else completely. "there have been 72 motions to stop filibusters". This is something different from having 62 SUCCESSFUL filibusters.

Sure, I will grant you that of the 72 filibusters the congress has overcome attempts to filibuster have been focused on iraq. still it would be nice if you could point me to a source with a more clear run down on these filibusters than "If you trust the NY Times, most has got to mean more than 50%. 50% of 72 is 36, and 36 is close to 40".

Seeing as it was you that raised the issue it only seems fair if you would be so kind as to show the basis for your argument.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
What I love was when the Dems were the Minority the GOP said filibusters were anti American and that the Dems were traitors for even thinking about filibustering. Now? They're ready to use billions of American Tax Payer Dollars to make a golden statues to the Filibuster. Amazing how they change their minds so quickly...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The only problem Republican had with the filibuster, was the blocking of Federal Judges. Democrats were the 1st to use the procedure for this, and threatened to do major harm to our judicial system.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

isn't it though? it is contradictory that you could quite easily call it hypocritical. i think it is sad that the democrats get treated like they are capable of nothing, yet the so called 'liberal' media does not bother to let the nation know what they are up against in the senate and congress.

reply to post by RRconservative

first to do what? filibuster? filibuster judges? honestly, i do not think you make a whole lot of sense man, it is not too hard to read into your avatar and see where you are coming from. i doubt that this will even turn into a discussion. it is too easy for too many people to just refuse to even consider a debate. everything thing is explainable when it is 'your' team, right?

you make a lot of comments about how the democrats are threadtening to 'destroy' america, well no offense, but the republicans sure did not seem to need much help over the last 8 years.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
this looks like a good place to go if you are interested at looking at what gets voted on and who votes for what.

link

in the pink area on the right hand side you can get help with learning how to navigate.

if you would like to have a discussion on the topic PRguy, then by all means, lets have at it. anything would be better than throwing baseless banter back and forth at each other like we have been.

new topics

top topics

join