It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Wayne Dyer: The Tao, Physics and Politics!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I just watched a lecture by Dr Wayne Dyer,
and I think he is brilliant.

He talks about the Tao,
which is essentially a combo philosophy/religion
that makes a lot of sense.

Recently, Tao has been expressed through the findings
of Physics, which speaks of thought affecting reality,
and the two ideologies, which should
have nothing to do with each other on the surface,
end up complementing each other.

Here is the point of my post and thread, and my question:

How does Taoism and ideas like "What the Bleep Do We Know?"
and guys like Dr Wayne Dyer (google him if you are not familiar)
and the general idea of thought-creating-reality
and self-actualization through intention
and the whole Secret and Law Of Attraction thing...
how does all of that fit into the plans of the NWO
and the supposed nefarious powers that be?

My point is this: these ideas are powerful defenses against
the seeming futility of today's life and society...
they are really empowering, and they make
a person much less susecptible to groupthink
and materalism and general hern mentality.

Is the NWO or whomever is lurking behind the scenes
(you know, the guys who may be scared of Ron Paul, etc)
concerned about the viral expansion of such ideas?

Are they scared or guys like Wayne Dyer?

Is Taoism, and the various permutations of its' core ideas,
a true antidote to the brainwashing we all fear is or may be happening?

Is so, do you think the powers that be are trying to squash it?
Or is it too small and niche-focused to be on their radar?

Please let me know what you think-
about Dyer and Taoism... and the reaction of the NWO to such ideas
and individuals?

Thanks!

"Destiny is determined by Freewill" - T Patrick Murray

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Navigational Error

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms
How does Taoism... and the general idea of thought-creating-reality and self-actualization through intention and the whole Secret and Law Of Attraction thing...

I'm afraid you, or perhaps Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, have misunderstood Tao.

Tao has absolutely nothing to do with creating or manipulating reality through thought. Taoists accept the world as it is. Tao is about recognizing movements, trends and currents in the world around us and making use of them to help us achieve what we want out of life and avoid what we don't.

One who follows Tao is like the captain of a sailing ship. He has to get his vessel from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as he can. If he just went full speed ahead in a straight line, he might be blown off course by winds, be carried off course by currents, ground his keel against hidden rocks or suffer any of a variety of other calamities. To reach B from A, the captain has to read the winds, the currents and the tides. He must know the location of reefs and other hazards. He must then steer his ship so as to take all these things into account. If he is skilful, he is likely to achieve his intention quickly and with a minimum of trouble. In the same way, one who follows Tao seeks, and if he is skilful often finds, a way to attain his ends with a minimum of fuss and bother by navigating the winds and currents of life and avoiding the reefs and shoals.

But notice that however skilled our ship's captain may be, a successful voyage from A to B is never guaranteed. A hurricane may blow up and smash his vessel to bits; the charts he depends on may be faulty, leading him to founder on some reef or shoal; the winds may fail, becalming him, so that his stores run out before he can reach his objective; the crew may mutiny and throw him overboard. In a similar way, a Taoist, however good he may be at interpreting the Tao, may yet fail in his objects. Reality is always more powerful than any individual, however much of a Taoist he may be.

Taoism presupposes an external reality that we can alter only in its minor details. It is not a formula for making wishes come true.

These ideas are powerful defenses against the seeming futility of today's life and society... they are really empowering, and they make a person much less susecptible to groupthink and materalism and general herd mentality.

Taoism offers no defence against the 'seeming futility' of life. It is not concerned with final ends; it is altogether provisional.

This is the very essence of Tao.

Pardon me for speaking so frankly, but when you speak of 'defences against futility', of antidotes to 'groupthink and materialism' and 'herd mentallity', I seem to detect some resentment at life for not being just the way you want it and giving you everything you want. Of course we all strive to be happy and to get what we want; that is human nature. But - and again, this is the essence of Tao - we succeed best when we accept the world as it really is, not when we reject and deny reality because it will not yield up all that we desire.

Is Taoism, and the various permutations of its' core ideas, a true antidote to the brainwashing we all fear is or may be happening?

When you have lived the Tao long enough to begin to understand it, you will be able to formulate your own answer to this question.

"Destiny is determined by Freewill" - T Patrick Murray

It is not. In this, as in much else, modern science and Tao are in agreement. There is no such thing as free will, except in the most provisional sense. We live in a deterministic universe.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Read Tao of Physic by Fritjof Capra.. Basically he takes the Eastern religions and shows acorrelation between them and the findings of modern day physics. It's an interesting read.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Read Tao of Physic by Fritjof Capra.. Basically he takes the Eastern religions and shows acorrelation between them and the findings of modern day physics. It's an interesting read.

Read it in 1980. I was at university then, studying... physics.

The physics is good. To the best of my recollection, the 'eastern religion' part is fuzzy, syncretistic and oversimplified to make it fit the physics. I understand that Capra has now distanced himself somewhat from the more outlandish claims he makes in that book.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Astynax, he also came out with a book, relatively recently called the Web of Life which makes just as many "outlandish" claims... I really don't know if he has distance himself from his claims or not.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I believe it is dishonest of Dr. Dyer to draw on his misunderstanding of science to support his spiritual claims. His overuse and misuse of the word "energy" is laughable to the trained ear. Additionally, his ideas do not prove out in his own life: he writes on how to build lasting relations with others and yet admits to cheating on his wife in "Your Sacred Self" and has had numerous divorces. The problem is not these shortcomings, as we all have them, it is there is no demonstrable proof of his advice including his own life. He advises not only on relationships but health and tells us how beneficial positive "field energies are." Yet, he suffers a heart attack and is saved by not positive thoughts but by technology with an arterial stent. My point is not to pick on the well meaning author, but that his claims do not prove out and it is faulty advice. Further, he makes no honest effort to prove the validity of his advice (even to himself). One who tells others how to build lasting relationships yet cannot himself is just not being honest with himself. Does he really believe in what he says when it does not even prove in his own life? He is actually encouraging a form of self-delusion. That is just not right.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
OP

On Tao read Alan watts or better listen.

On your basic premise the NWO and what they think of our thoughts creating reality.

Simple really.

Why do you think there are so Many war Films?

And Games?

Stories of Mass Destructions/Disaster films?

Gods who we must be scared of and be guilty unless we conform to HIS view, which usually as in the recent Far right neo Cons runs the country?

So many adverts for Medicines?

So many programmes about buying and flipping houses just before the bubble,

Now soo many about how poor we are, or are going to be?

Did you see Colin Powells presenttaion on WMD in the UN?

The toppling of the Saddam Statue in Iraq (with shots showing apparenly lots of people, but wide ones showing most Iraqi's walking past ignoring the crowd not on MSM?

Etc Etc.

We can see their plans, in how they want us to co create our reality with their agenda, in what images and stories they tell and beam to us every day.

And what they teach us in school, work.

Kind Regards,

Elf

join