It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amy Winehouse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I love Amy"s voice, style and vibe but please let's not compare her to this...

[edit on 22-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Summertiiiiiiiiime!!!!!

Love it!

You're right, nobody can legitimately compare Joplin to Winehouse. Two different voices, two different eras. But to have a Winehouse emerge in this day and time is a miracle if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conundrum04

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
What seems "Jewy" to you?

I'm not sure. I mean, come on, you've never ran into a women, started talking to her and thought "this chick is Jewish"?

You obviously don't live in NY!

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
this is Amy's background

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

You obviously don't live in NY!

Keen observation my friend.

Would like to go at some point, but I've spent my entire life on the west coast so far.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Janis Joplins background is the blues and jazz as well, her music was always inspired by those genres. Yes they have two different voices and Amy is quite a bit more ladylike than Janis was but they do have a lot of similarities as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
there will NEVER be another joplin..let me just get that out there.

i compare her to joplin cause she is going against the norm, just like jopiln did. joplin was a lady rocking out in a 'mans world'.
there were no white chicks belting it out like joplin when she was.

same goes for winehouse today, imo....
you have 'totally safe' music out there and it is dominated by young, pop singing bubblegummers...

beyonce and scary j. the friggin spice girls are back united.

we have a refreshing sound in winehouse. we have a refreshing look.

she rocks the beehive. she has some serious pipes. she sings about stuff that is 'taboo'. read through her lyrics...talking about people smoking all her weed and f me pumps.....

thats a hell of a lot more 'risky' that stefani singing rich girl.

she has a unique look. a unique sound. joplin did as well.
i also compare her to joplin cause of the chain smoking and whiskey swilling.

i am all about her right now...

i just made this collage' a few minutes ago.

some good pics of her and you can hear the F me pumps. reading the lyrics to any of her songs does not do her justice. you have to hear the tone of her voice....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

God, how much I hope you're right.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

God, how much I hope you're right.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

That was a good collage. I saw pictures I never seen of her before.

I think that it is extremely rare in today's world to have someone so real come out in the music industry and be so successful. The last time I felt any kind of realism from music was in the mid to late 80's when gangster rap was first introduced. Now you have "gangsta's like Ice Cube making kiddie movies.

Real rap is not mainstream now because the truth is getting closer to the masses. Rappers like Nas and Immortal Technique can never go mainstream because they educated themselves about the injustices that are going on all over the world and tell it in song.

This isn't a rap discussion I'm sorry, but Wineouse is also influenced by rap which, in turn, was inspired by jazz/blues/soul/real life ****.

Winehouse is the 2000 version of the tragic artists of the early 70's. It's amazing how she made it this far.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

thats a hell of a lot more 'risky' that stefani singing rich girl.

I understand what you are talking about, but I have much respect for Gwen.

Remember, her band No Doubt wasn't much until Gwen started writing about personal things that happened to her in her life(i.e. her romantic split with fellow band member Tony). The band was together for nearly a decade before they broke it big time so I give them and her much respect.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I just bought her first album Frank a few days ago. This is the baddest jew broad on the planet right now.

Here is a nice vid clip of photos of her from infant to present day.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

she aint that hot without the make up and cracked out.

Nearly barfed when I saw it in RollingStone

www.halflifesource.com...

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Lysergic]

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Natural selection, survival of the fittest! Natural selection, survival of the fittest! Natural selection, survival of the fittest! Natural selection, survival of the fittest! Nuff Said!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Now she's dead at 27, just like Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and I think Hendrix. They all joined the 27Club

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by iSwag

C'mon now....sure she was 27, but she was not an artist like the three mentioned. She might have had a set of pipes, but she didn't influence musicians to be like her, or to even sound like her. Sorry to say it, god rest her soul, but she didn't revolutionize anything. Heroin junkies in music was the 70's and the 90's, she was a decade late. She should have chummed up with Kourtney Love and figured out how to get by when the 1-hit sales wears off.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I really liked her her voice was very unusual but pretty good her songs back to black and Im no good were amazing
RIP Amy

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by saabster5
reply to post by iSwag

C'mon now....sure she was 27, but she was not an artist like the three mentioned. She might have had a set of pipes, but she didn't influence musicians to be like her, or to even sound like her. Sorry to say it, god rest her soul, but she didn't revolutionize anything.

You just think that because you've been sold the sixties. Who did Janis Influence? Who did Jim influence? In spirit yeah they probably influenced lots of bands. But musically I don't know many bands I would call good who were influenced by them.

Janis Joplin and The Doors are great because they took chances on their sound and no one else was willing to touch that.Jimmy was the only one who could be said to have influenced a movement and that led to Cream ripping him off royaly. And later two decades of overblown ego guitarists who added literally nothing to music.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join